ECOH and Adult Eagles and Uniforms

Greetings motoscout!

Are the Eagles registered scouts/scouters? I think that's the key question.

If they aren't, the technically correct answer is: they should wear civvies, with their Eagle medal or other Eagle pin on their suit coat lapel/shirt pocket.

This might encourage them to register as adult scouters, and to start a new chapter in their scouting journey.

Ditto what Desert said. Only one time have I seen someone in uniform that wasn't registered, and that was the Eagle Scout himself. Long story short, the Eagle didn't have his ECOH before joining the USAF. Once he got out 4 years later, he had his ECOH. Unfortunately he didn't stay around with the troop b/c he went away for college. I do believe that he got involved in Scouting there though.

Eagle92, thanks for sharing that story, good news indeed. Also good news that he still fit in his old scout uniform! I've seen alot of Airmen over the years enjoy all that good dining hall food, and four years later they've got a few more lbs than when they started. Not judging, because I know first hand how hard it is to keep in shape.

Moto,

20 and under would be an ASM, 21 and older can be any position. BSA restricts what roles 20 and under can perform to ADLs, AWDLs, and ASMs. They may also be able to be a ACM, butnot 100% sure about it. They do need Youth Protection training prior to registering.

Desert,

Actually the uniform was a little big on him. But yes his mom kept the uniform as it was when he turned 18, with SPL patch and Life patch. It was interesting in that he knew only the older scouts, but all of the younger scouts knew of his exploits in the troop ;) He wa a very good role model and SPL.

If I had an older scout come to me and ask if he can wear his old scout uniform to an Eagle Court, the last thing that is going to cross my mind is if he is registered or not.

"Please come to the Eagle Court and I am sure we would all love to see you in uniform. Please invite your parents as well. I would love to see them and catch up."

That would be more like a response I would expect from a scouter.

I love all you posters and enjoy the reads but we need to lighten up just a bit before we run off more boys.

How will telling 2 adults that, per BSA rules, only current members of the BSA can wear the BSA uniform, "run off" boys?

I think that wearing their Eagle medals on a suit jacket is entirely appropriate.

One program that I believe still exists is the "College Scouter Reserve." If they are registered in this position, then they can wear their uniforms. from this website: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/LOS/All/C.aspx

College Scouter Reserve

A registration status for young people 18 and older who are in college, have been actively registered in Scouting, and commit themselves to an informed interest and active participation in the program whenever possible.

Prior to a Court of Honor last year, a Scout that hadn't participated in the troop for awhile showed up for a Board of Review. I was on the board, but hadn't met him before. Our committee chair, first comment, says "I'm surprised to see you here -- I thought you were done with the troop." The scout responded that he thought it was important to finish First Class prior to aging out.

When the Court of Honor rolled around, there was another new face. Wearing a uniform sporting an Eagle badge. It was the First Class scout's older brother, who had become an Eagle in the troop a few years earlier. Several of our older Scouts greeted him, many of them with hugs. It was obvious that he had been a well-liked member of the troop. I was touched that he came back to his brother's Court.

The last thing anyone had on their mind was saying, "oh, by the way, you shouldn't be wearing the uniform" (or the Eagle badge).

Guy

One of the biggest problems in this country is "I'm going to do want I want" and not "I'm going to do what's right" whether it's wearing scout uniforms or selling mortgages or disregarding safety regulations on oil platforms. Maybe if we teach them to do what's right in the little things, it will continue into the big things.

• 1 month later...

I would welcome any former scout from the area that asked to attend a COH. If they wanted to wear their old uniform I would be all for it, as long as it still fit and looked good. They don't have to be registered to do so, they earned whats on their uniform and should wear it proudly. I think some people get too wrapped around the wording and nitpick the "rules" instead of looking for the meaning behind the rule. In this situation the rule exists so that leaders cannot operate a unit without registering first and so that leaders that would have been screened out cannot make their way into the unit. The rule isn't intended to pertain to former scouts, as unregistered adults they don't even have a "rulebook" to follow. If the adult is a leader and has the patch on his sleeve he had better be registered, but as an adult former scout still wearing his youth uniform and PL bars and not acting as a unit leader, they can wear their uniform without violating the spirt of the order/rule.

A number of years ago I had a scout earn his Eagle, and at his COH his father (also an Eagle) showed up wearing HIS scout uniform from his youth. Dad was not registered, as he was an area pastor, and time commitments would not allow. But it was very inspirational to see him in his uniform from 30+ years ago. Our scouts were impressed. The only disgusting thing was that after all those years, IT STILL FIT!

DALE