4 Historical MBs Brought Out of Retirement for 2010

I agree with some others on will these appeal to the youth? IMHO I think these 4 HMB's should be open to adult scouters who would appreciate them much more. Then the question becomes where on the adult uniform would they be able to wear them? How about on the pocket opposite their Eagle patch, just kidding. I think this is a great way to reintroduce some of the original scouting skills to today's scouts, see Kudu there may be some hope for scouting after all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Eagle92 said.

That said, thanks to the forum for this catch. It's an adjustment to be incorporated into my MBC training. For now, there are 4 MBs which have a 1 year life cycle, and cannot be earned until the Scout ages out.

Here's a requirement for Pathfinding:

5. Give telephone number, if any, and directions for reaching the nearest police station, fire-fighting apparatus, Court House or Municipal Building, the nearest Country Farm Agent's office, doctor, veterinarian and hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Imagine a day when a police station might not have a phone number. Living in Arlington County, Virginia which has 208 thousand folks in just over 26 square miles it is hard to imagine where the nearest Farm Agent's office is.

In truth this whole merit badge would take an afternoon to complete and many of the requirements are contained in Citizenship in the Community. Compared to the other three it seems to be low hanging fruit.

Hal

LMAO! So...I see Pathfinding is more of a "route plotting" skill. Nothing to do with woods or paths?

LOL!

Maybe they shouls have a merit badge - merit badge: You get a merit badge for understanding what other badges are for! LOL!

Year, and Carpentry seems to be a somewhat easier version of the current Woodworking.

But I suppose Stalking and Signaling make up for it. Learning both Morse and semaphore isn't easy.

I mentioned the badges to my two sons. Neither seemed interested until I suggested how cool it would be to sit in school and tap out Morse code to their buddies. Depends on how you sell it.

I also think the uniqueness of the badges will be a selling point.

Can anyone find out if they will be offered at Jamboree?(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

I think this is a neat idea. Instead of "printed material", could they not reprint the original MBBook? I'm wondering if these will have the "original" requirements or if they will be "modernized"?

I talked to a contractor/builder at our Troop meeeting tonite about being a carpentry MBCouselor, he said he wouldn't know how to hold a hand tool, all he uses are power saws, drills, nailers, etc.

"County Farm Agent", also called the "Extension Agent" contact your State University, they usually operate out of that. And your local 4H or County Fair should know.

-.--,---,..-,.-.,...,..,-.,,...,-.-.,---,..-,-,..,-.,--.,,

The 1968 Signaling MB book has the exact requirements as the reintroduced MB although it's broken down into 6 requirements instead of 5. For comparison the 1922 Signaling MB book has these very different requirements:

1. Send and receive a message in Semaphore code, not fewer than 48 letters per minute, or use the General Service (International Morse Code) code, not fewer than 24 letters per minute.

2. Give and receive signals by sound, using the buzzer outfit sounder, sounder, whistle or bugle.

3.Make a buzzer outfit, or a heliograph outfit.