Iggle required merit badges, which would you add?

I agree with acco40, Sewing and other life skills (laundry,etc). Men do need to know how to do basic tasks when no woman is around.

How about inventiveness - like putting a square peg in a round hole as in "Apollo 13"? People need to know how to improvise an a lot of situtations when you cannot run and buy something.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please Please Please, PuhhlllllEase,

There can be no Sewing merit badges in scouting. How many times do we have to go over this. Please, a Sewing merit badge would be a terrible idea. However, a Tailoring Merit Badge, now that might have merit, as it were. C'mon girls play with dolls, boys exhibit "action figures" can we get this straight? Girls sew, men tailor.

Perhaps Family Life can be updated to include indoor cooking, tailoring and ironing, with a minor in laundry.

Actually, I would like to see Pioneering be required, it is , after all, the most Boy Scouty of all the merit badges. There may be a dearth of qualified MB instructors though, how many people do you know can do an eye splice at the drop of a hat, some of you I know can, but how many others do you know can? But it would be fun

My old PL/SPL/Eagle/best-friend/college-roommate was taught how to sew (not tailor) by his mom as a kid.

You'd think that might pay adult dividends some day, but in his case he found dividends in an unexpected place. When in college, while studying architecture, he joined a team building an inflatable fabric structure, and he became the primary "production" manager, sewing together very large strips of fabric with commercial sewing machines. He told me they were just like the old Singer sewing machines, just larger (and sturdier). He was able to repair several of them himself, without resorting to returning machines or waiting for service calls (which they didn't have the budget for).

But, the fact of the matter is, had he earned a Tailoring (or Sewing) MB I would have made sure he didn't hear the end of it from the entire troop. Life skill or not. :)

I'm all for a "Home Ec/Shop" combo requirement. Back in my school system, EVERYONE had to take Home Ec/cooking/etiquette AND Shop BEFORE they could go onto high school. Personally, they were probably the two most useful classes I ever took.

In Home Ec, we had a two part final. We put on a multi-course meal for the school faculty and then we went out at to a nice restaurant with all the friggin' plates/silverware. I honestly can't recall half of what it was all called, but I don't look half-the-fool that others do at fancy wedding receptions when I encounter that same almost intimidating layout.

Anyway, as a result of those two courses:

I can prepare nutritious, tasty meals without a box mix whether or not there's an open fire near by.

I can do my own laundry without turning the undies pink or bleaching the color out of my dress slacks, nor am I afraid to clean the floors or bathrooms.

I can mend holes in my clothing (and sew patches on my scout blankets). I had ripped my uniform at scout camp while on jr. staff. Thanks to knowing how to sew, I was able to mend it such that it was difficult to tell it had been torn. I had gotten lucky and had ripped it along the seam.

I've made my own regalia for certain scout-themed events for a whole lot less then if I tried to buy it--I've even made a diamond shelter as a gift for my brother for less then half of what it would have cost to purchase one.

I know basic power tools use and safety.

Perhaps work it into the Family Living as some of the others have suggested.

What to remove? Combine the Citizenship Badges down to one or two.

And I'm all for seeing Cooking being brought back and have wished for it for over a decade. It was removed from the list long before I was a scout. For the record, I'm a lousy swimmer (nickname as a scout was 'Titanic'), and made Eagle via way of Sports (alternate at the time to Swimming) and Emergency Preparedness five days before turning 18 (had difficulty finding a counselor for my last badge).

I'd like to see Nature added as a required badge. What good is camping or backpacking if you don't know what's around you when you go.

I'd add an or to Citizenship in the Nation - my or would be American Heritage (many schools teach the stuff found in Citizenship in the Nation as a graduation requirement, depending on the state - I know that Illinois requires passing grades on state and federal constitution tests in order to graduate from both Elementary School and High School, and when I went to school in Maine, college students were required to pass a federal constitution test in order to get a degree, unless the student's state required them to pass such a test to graduate (I think Maine High School students were required to pass a constitution test too - other than the students from Maine, I was the only other student who didn't have to take the test).

I would get rid of Citizenship in the World and add, in it's place American Cultures OR Disabilities Awareness OR Indian Lore - I think Scouts should have an awareness of our multi-cultural heritage.

I like the addition of Wilderness Survival though I would make it Wilderness Survival OR Backpacking.

I think between camping, cooking, and Backpacking/Wilderness Survival (and the Or called Hiking), Scouts will have a good sampling of outdoor skills, so we don't need to add Pioneering or Orienteering.

Instead, I would add something for building/mechanical skill set: Home Repair OR Auto Mechanics OR Farm Mechanics (why Farm Mechanics? Because for many of our rural Scouts, Farm Mechanics is an important part of their everyday life). I would eliminate Family Life from the required badges to make room for this.

That's my opinion

Calico

I have the same thoughts as many posters; add Orienteering, Pioneering, Cooking, and/or Wilderness Survival. Eagle Scouts should have advanced skills in these areas. We promote these in our Troop throughout the year and at camp.

Maybe eliminate Personal Mangement or Family Life? Perhaps make the Citizenships a 2 out of 3? I think it's important to not grow the # of required MB's over 12, as the boys like to explore other areas of interest through the Merit Badge program, but they sometimes perceive that it's not a good investment of their time if they alreay have their 9 "filler" MB's.

Nothing like thinking about something for awhile to give new perspective.

The Aims of Scouting is to develop Citizenship, Charactor and Personal Fitness. How does eliminating or condensing the Citizenship badges do that? A lot of people call for the elimination or tweak of Family Life, the merit badge that forces a Scout to spend time finding out what its like to be part of the most basic of all human teams, a family. Take away cycling? Its one of a possible 3 "aerobic" merit badges, besides swimming and Hiking. Why discount it?

A lot, and I include myself in that lot, want to add more outdoorsy merit badges to the required list, is that because the mission of the BSA is to produce the next generation of Man vs Wild or Survivorman genre hosts?

We keep saying that Advancement is a Method, not "THE" method and that Advancement is only one of 7 methods, well, the ourdoors should be thought of the same way. Its a method, and only one of 7 at that

Remove:

Citizenship in the World (I'm a USA citizen, not a citizen of the world. Sorry BSA)

Environmental Science (they get plenty of this stuff in school.)

Personal Fitness (Again - Health & PE cover this in school. This is scouts, not an athletic team.)

Add:

Orienteering (core scout skill)

Nature (better than E Science)

Cooking (as in cooking on a campout and backpacking trip. goes with camping and core scout skills.)

Canoeing (because I like canoeing! ;-) )

Backpacking (core scout skill)

Pioneering would be a great add also!

JMO(This message has been edited by knot head)

My son is not in boy scouts yet. I was 3 MB short of Eagle. I think they were the Citizenship MB

"Sewing (and no, that was not is jest)"

- I think this is something that is importand. Maybe not as a MB but as a requirement. When I was a scout, my mother told me that if I was gonna keep earning MB's and earning and rank, that I was gonna have to learn to sew them on. Hey, that was reasonable.

Earn a total of 21 merit badges (10 more than you already have), including the following:

First Aid,

Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World (maybe these could be combined)

Communications,

Personal Fitness,

Emergency Preparedness OR Lifesaving,

(You must choose only one of these two merit badges. If you have earned more than one of the badges listed, choose one and list the remaining badge to make your total of 21.)

Environmental Science, (This always seemed like a classroom MB. I saw it offered at camp and wondered about that. Different subject)

Personal Management, (Like someone said, maybe combine this and family life

Swimming OR Hiking OR Cycling, (add backpacking)

(You must choose only one of these three merit badges. If you have earned more than one of the badges listed, choose one and list the remaining badges to make your total of 21.)

Camping

Family Life.

I would add Wilderness Survival, One of these (Canoeing, Rowing, Small boat sailing, as noted above

And maybe something along the lines of how to craft stuff. (Leatherwork, Metalwork, Home repairs, basketry, pottery.) Gives the boys another skill that can be interesting

That is just my two cents worth.

Family Life appears to be a reworking of the old Citizenship in the Home MB. I think it is very appropriate as many youth today have little or no concept of what decisions are made or resources are needed by a family. Being a traditionalist (I wear my old side cap to meetings), I would have preferred them bring back CiH with the new requirements.

"Remove:

Citizenship in the World (I'm a USA citizen, not a citizen of the world. Sorry BSA)

Environmental Science (they get plenty of this stuff in school.)

Personal Fitness (Again - Health & PE cover this in school. This is scouts, not an athletic team.)"

Guess again about CiW. The US is a member of the UN, NATO, IWC, contributes to the ISS. The BSA is a member of the WOSM.

Environmental Science is not emphasized in school, taught, by not emphasized. I think it is very necessary for Scouting.

Personal Fitness is being curtailed in many schools. In my state, the PE requirements have been halved to allow more emphasis on math and english (the only material on the College SAT test). And in a nation of obesity, they get plenty in school? Your right, it is Scouts, not an athletic team, that is why they dropped Sports MB as an optional requirement.

Family Life MB was added and Safety MB dropped, adding Cooking MB seems to go hand in hand with requiring Camping MB for Eagle (hey, I know how to pitch and tent and survive a night in snow, the mountains, etc., but I don't know how to feed myself while there).

I think Wilderness Survival MB and Energy MB are good choices. One emphasizes camping emergencies, the other emphasizes conservation in a modern form.

JMO

I "lost" the memo on Cooking MB. When will it become Eagle Required? How will this apply..that is, if a Scout is at Life rank and has all the required badges. when the change takes effect will he need to back-track and do Cooking. I do like the re-intro of that badge for Eagle. Just like to know when and how. I'm sure it has been answered before, but I go for long periods of time without getting on these forums. Thanks in advance for the info.

"Guess again about CiW. The US is a member of the UN, NATO, IWC, contributes to the ISS. The BSA is a member of the WOSM."

I'm for canning this one too. I'm tired of the new world order, global economy, no more borders crud. All it usually means that the rest of the world wants the USofA to pick up the tab and doesn't really benefit us in any way.

Let's make sure that people understand what goes on in their own country first.

"Guess again about CiW. The US is a member of the UN, NATO, IWC, contributes to the ISS. The BSA is a member of the WOSM."

I'm for canning this one too. I'm tired of the new world order, global economy, no more borders crud. All it usually means that the rest of the world wants the USofA to pick up the tab and doesn't really benefit us in any way.

Let's make sure that people understand what goes on in their own country first.