X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current BSA Policy Vs local option poll

I am just wondering how most people on scouter would vote on the current hot topic of the day. So here goes if you could vote to decide if BSA policy would change or stay the same how would you vote? You only have two choice for the current policy or for the local option.
    Current Policy
    32.14%
    Local Option
    67.86%

I am a little supprise by the result so far out of 20 votes 15 for the local option. I was thinking it would be closer to 50/50. I guess it is still early.

Comment

I think you need to login before you can vote.

Comment

Cool. I like the new software!

Comment

Not too many years ago, I suspect the result would have been the opposite with a vast majority in favor of the current policy.

Comment

I still remember the first time I read about the New Orleans troop that was started with the express purpose of mollesting kids in the 1970s. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MichScouter
              I am a little supprise by the result so far out of 20 votes 15 for the local option. I was thinking it would be closer to 50/50. I guess it is still early.
              It is an internet poll on a discussion list. Tons of ways this could be manipulated either way. Just takes someone with some time on their hands. Now, if there was a way to lock down by IP address so that only one vote per IP address you might have a different story. But who knows.

Comment

WOW! A whopping 70.27% of those polled favor the change! The Winds of Change are a' blowin, and the Times, They are a changin'!

Wait a minute...that's out of 37 voters....?

Comment

72% for the new policy with 43 vote so far.

Comment

Interesting poll here, but I have to say not very scientific. I am far more interested how the councils are voting, and if that information will every be published/released.

Comment

I have to add, that although I support the Local Policy. I worry that Local Units will go too far and start making up their own rules. I've seen this in action already, and it becomes a watered down BSA.

Comment

You omitted a third option. A national policy that requires units to present homosexuality as an example of morally straight to all of our you.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoutBox
                          I have to add, that although I support the Local Policy. I worry that Local Units will go too far and start making up their own rules. I've seen this in action already, and it becomes a watered down BSA.
                          In what ways, ScoutBox?

Comment

Just to check how the poll works it appears that it will let each user name vote once. I tried to vote second time to see and it gave me an error saying please select an option first. I tried about three time so as far as I can tell you can only vote once per user name. I guess you could create mutiple accounts but why would you?

Comment

The 70% in favor of a local option here matches that of the polled number from the councils. With 70 samples here and 294 council samples (364 total), and 1,039,825 adults in the bsa (from wikipedia), the margin of error is just over 5%. This assumes the poll is random. Still, this is a surprising number to me.

Maybe the silver lining of the way this has been handled is that it will start the conversation within the boy scouts. That could make 16 weeks waiting a good thing in the long term.

Comment

Working...
                              X