Alternate Swimming Requirement for First Class

Anyone know what the qualifications are for a boy to be granted alternate swimming requirement for first class. I have a boy that is terrifed of the water. We even had him to the local Y over the weekend and the life guards after testing all our boys worked individually with this lad until well after closing time and he just cant seem to get over his fear of the water. This is the third time we have attempted to train him our district commissioner even worked with him prior to taking the test this time. He mentally can't do it. So how do I go about getting him an alternate test. After a very long time the lifeguards felt he barely met the second class requirement but felt that is all he can do.

I don't know OGE I spoke with his mom who was at the Y pool with us. I told her we have done about all we can at this point that he obviously has a fear of water. And that if this is the case we would need some documentation to this effect. I've looked in my handbook and the requirements do say the committee can grant a waiver for medical of safety reasons and I forwarded the boys results to our CC for review. I do think that if he does qualify for a waiver he certainly should not come on any boating outings we have since I think it prudent he stay home until he can swim. A PFD alone in my opinion isn't adequate especially when white water rafting.

The only one that can grant a waiver is the Council Advancement Committee, and only if it is documented for medical reasons. Fear of water is not justification for a waiver.

Troops and Districts can no longer grant a waiver.

I agree with Barry about escalating to the District level to get signoff. I wouldn't want to go into an Eagle BOR down the road without plenty of documentation.

As for white water rafting, canoeing or any other event on water, this scout cannot be permitted to participate. You need to make sure he and his parents understand it. Perhaps, over time, his fear will subside. Especially if he sees the fun they have on the whitewater trip. At that time, I'd make sure he can succesfully complete those requirements before allowing him to go.

This is what must be done to get a waiver.

Alternate Requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class Ranks.

A Scout who is unable to complete any or all of the requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class rank because he is physically or mentally disabled may complete alternative requirements if the following criteria are met:

1.The physical or mental disability must be of a permanent rather than a temporary nature.

2.A clear and concise medical statement concerning the Scout's disabilities must be submitted by a physician licensed to practice medicine. In the alternative, an evaluation statement certified by an educational administrator may be submitted. The medical statement must state the doctor's opinion that the Scout cannot complete the requirement(s) because of a permanent disability.

3.The Scout, his parents, or leaders must submit to the council advancement committee, a written request that the Scout be allowed to complete alternative requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class rank. The request must explain the suggested alternate requirements in sufficient detail so as to allow the advancement committee to make a decision. The request must also include the medical statement required in paragraph two above. The written request for alternate requirements must be submitted to and approved by the local council prior to completing alternate requirements.

4.The Scout must complete as many of the regular requirements as his ability permits before applying for alternate requirements.

5.The alternate requirements must be of such a nature that they are as demanding of effort as the regular requirements.

6.When alternate requirements involve physical activity, they must be approved by the physician.

7.The unit leader and any board of review must explain that to attain Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class rank a candidate is expected to do his best in developing himself to the limit of his resources.

8.The written request must be approved by the council advancement committee, utilizing the expertise of professional persons involved in Scouting for disabled youth. The decision of the council advancement committee should be recorded and delivered to the Scout and his leader.

The council committee responsible for advancement must then secure approval of the council executive board. The Scout executive must attach a letter to the application indicating that the executive board has approved the application.

The candidate's application for the award must be made on the Eagle Scout Rank Application or Quartermaster Award Application and recorded on the Advancement Report form.

In the application of these policies for Scouts with special needs, reasonable accommodation in the performance of requirements may be made. These may include things such as the extension of time, adaptation of facilities, or the use of equipment or necessary devices consistent with the known physical or mental limitations of the handicapped individual. It is urged that common sense be employed.

we had the same issue with one scout, who when joining was unable to go i the water. 6 years later, after summer camp many years and our troop swims, hes almost able to TAKE the test. But now he is 17. Hes not going to get eagle. But without scouts he would never be where he is today when it comes to, along with many things, swimming.

I understand the issues related to actual advancement to First Class and the requirements to participate in canoeing or whitewater activities. They make sense to me.

However is there any consideration for those scouts that wish to participate in High Adventure camps that do not involve water activities, but require a scout to achieve the First Class rank prior to participation? I don't know that I'm in that situation yet, but I have a scout that struggled through the second class swimming requirements last summer and has signed up for a High Adventure activity this summer that requires the First Class rank. He has completed most of the other requirements and we will have a swim night sometime next month where he will try the First Class, BSA Swimmer test. I don't know that he will be able to do this. He is an otherwise good camper and has good outdoor skills. I believe he could do the High Adventure activity, as it involves backpacking and camping, but no water activities. Do we hold him back from other High Adventure activities?

SA

Maybe I'm missing something here. A fear of the water doesn't necessarily equal a physical or mental disability. And the alternate requirement is for Scout that have either or both. Not just being afraid!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed as an RN by profession, I can confirm that fear of water Aquaphobia is indeed a mental disability. To which this Scout would qualify as I have seen the look of terror on his face and the anxiety he has faced over the prospect of doing the swim test.

Aquaphobia: An abnormal and persistent fear of water. Sufferers from aquaphobia experience anxiety even though they realize the water in an ocean, a river, a lake, a creek or even a bathtub may pose no imminent threat. They generally avoid such activities as boating and swimming. Around the house, they may fear the water in a shower or tub and even desist from bathing therein.

Come to think of it this lad hygene leaves mutch to be desired. I'm going to suggest to his mom tonight at the meeting that she obtain the doctors statement if she wants to.

SM376

BSA does NOT consider fear of water a disability. Thats what the doctor must certify that the you has a disability. Most doctors will not sign a statement saying this youth has a disability with some testing and other action on thier part.

You are asking them to label this youth. Why quit trying at this point. We have had youth that took a couple of years to pass swim test. I say keep on trying.

Scouting again, I would ask for a waiver if you think the youth deserves to do the High adventure trip. But maybe you will be lucky and not have to.

Nldscout is right about the list, but I found at least in our District that "common sense" was mainly used to giving a scout a waiver. We had the one scout afraid of water, but I had several mental retarded scouts that I had to get advice on as well.

Aquaphobia, so that is what its called. Our scout couldnt even look at a glass water. In fact he was so bad that camping was very restrictive. And forget about rain. You see a lot of interesting things in a troop.

Scoutingagain, I would call the camp Director and explain your scouts situation. I have always had good responses from them. Usually the First Class requirement is the easy way of requiring a minimum level of scout skills. If that is the case, maybe you guys can work something out where the scout can prove he passed all but the swimming requirements for First Class.

Barry

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but isn't this aquaphobia similar to claustrophobia? And aren't both just fears, not mental disabilities? A mental disability can be a fear but a fear isn't necessarly a mental disability.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10