The Duty Roster

The one CM who's bringing his Webelos boys over thought about a third troop, but we meet in a American Legion hall that can accommodate 150+ people. We have plenty of room. We could grow to 75 scouts and still have space for them to bounce off of walls. They decided to take a wait and see and allow our troop a chance to make good with their boys. If they wanted to start another troop, we'd just fold and go over there. No difference except I'd be free to go elsewhere closer to where I live and most of the trained leadership I have would not continue on as well.

Your mileage may vary.

Stosh

my son's troop does duty rosters for summer camp - on weekend campouts it's always done the same way so the boys have it down.

weekend campout

1 cook

1 assistant cook

the cook and assistant cook - cook the meals and clean up their work station when done.

the other boys in the patrol rotate with the dishes and cleanup... so if they did dishes at breakfast then they cleanup at lunch.

// The reference I used with the was to indicate that there are those out there that believe unless a boy is elected/assigned a POR and wears the patch, he can't get credit for advancement, i.e. my former troop. //

We were supposed to get all that from a smiley face?

You and my wife seem to think I have this telepathic power.

No wonder I'm so bad at texting.

Barry

Special projects are written in the requirements, yet I know of some SM's who don't adhere to that. My CC reads and understands the requirements, does orientation with new BOR members to make sure they understand and then proceeds.

There are SM's who insist that only scouts and scouters can work on an Eagle project and they have to be in uniform when they are doing it, too.

the :) was to gently poke at them if they're lurking about.

Your mileage may vary.

Stosh

In case we've forgotten:

Tenderfoot requirement 3:

On the campout, assist in preparing and cooking one of your patrols meals. Tell why it is important for each patrol member to share in meal preparation and cleanup, emphasis added and explain the importance of eating together.

Second Class requirement 3g:

On one campout, plan and cook one hot breakfast or lunch, selecting foods from the food guide pyramid. Explain the importance of good nutrition. Tell how to transport, store, and prepare the foods you selected.

First Class requirement 4:

4a. Help plan a patrol menu for one campout that includes at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner, and that requires cooking at least two of the meals. Tell how the menu includes the foods from the food pyramid and meets nutritional needs.

4b. Using the menu planned in requirement 4a, make a list showing the cost and food amounts needed to feed three or more boys and secure the ingredients.

4c. Tell which pans, utensils, and other gear will be needed to cook and serve these meals.

4d. Explain the procedures to follow in the safe handling and storage of fresh meats, dairy products, eggs, vegetables, and other perishable food products. Tell how to properly dispose of camp garbage, cans, plastic containers, and other rubbish.

4e. On one campout, serve as your patrol's cook. Supervise your assistant(s) in using a stove or building a cooking fire. Prepare the breakfast, lunch, and dinner planned in requirement 4a. Lead your patrol in saying grace at the meals and supervise cleanup.

Duty roster isn't mentioned, but yes, it should be. Of course, a well functioning patrol anticipates the needs of the cook, and everyone pitches in without needing the "stick" of the roster. That to me is what Stosh was talking about...

Thanks John. 1C Req. 4e. "On one campout..." Do you take that as for the entire weekend? That would kinda circumvent the Duty roster rotation, wouldn't you think? I am all for the duty roster. It works/has worked/can work. I think a large problem is these carports every troop uses these days where all patrols are bunched under one roof. Stuff gets borrowed, knocked around, goes missing. It's real crowded quarters. It all spells trouble for the Patrol method.

GrubMaster makes menu, directs shopping, and cooks the weekend. The rest of the patrol assists as needed. GrubMaster is not a permanent position, it can change from one campout to the next.

Your mileage may vary.

Stosh