Fat Advisors - Physically Strong

I am still shaped like ...a turtle...and about as fast. Yet I keep a good pace; once I get the creaking joints going I might as well keep going.

I think getting in the best shape that you are able to--wherever you are at--is a good thing. It is a bummer for the boys to have to deal with a Scouter with a massive coronary.

I am still terribly out of condition and need to some weight training and swimming. It is embarrassing.

I had one butterball scout tell me he was trying to get in better shape like me so that was a powerful motivator. That is the important thing. I can identify with that boy--I can tell he is going to have a lifelong battle.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JoeBob,

Do you realize that according to the CDC's BMI calculator which BSA links to for Jamboree, you are considered "overweight" at 6'2" and 217 lbs with a BMI of 27.9. They consider "obese" to be a BMI of 30 or greater. Kind of silly don't you think? I've never liked the charts or calculators. "Normal" weight for guys our height is 144 lbs/18.6 BMI to 194 lbs/24.9 BMI. Can you imagine someone 6'2" at 144 lbs? They'd look like they walked out of a concentration camp. I don't consider that to be "healthy".

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

SR540 - Yeah, I agree that the charts are ridiculous. I look like a cadaver at 190.

But I also totally agree that many, many Scouters are really overweight. At least in the pool of upper echelon leaders that I know. There are lots of politically correct terms that coddle fatties' feelings. But I choose not to be an enabler. By refusing to acept that Waddling Woodbadgers (sorry - it's an alliterative thing...) are storing food for winter, I motivate mtself to lose a few and spare my joints the wear and tear.

Related:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-05-07/obesity-projections-adults/54791430/1

Homosexuals. Atheists. Fatties.

ever notice that when the shoe pinches, it squeaks?

I think it was in one of Joseph Wambaugh's police novels that an old cop said he liked rapists the best ---- they tended not to have a lot of excuses for their criminal behavior.

Seattle Pioneer

Fatty

You guys are rough!

As Scouters I think if we can save a couple of future fatties all the hard work will be worth it; I wish I could have avoided a lot of heartache and health problems. I bet I only had 1 out of 4 years I was not fat (luckily one year was when I snatched Mrs Turtle)

Just make sure we don't have any avowed fatties. If they recognize their sin and are working on not following their urges, they are OK.

;)

(tongue firmly planted in cheek, next to the Krispy Kreme remnants)

Wow,

Guess I should quit now before the "FAT" police come and get me. My approximately 30 years as an adult Scouter, service to District/Troop/OA can be filled much better by someone who is THIN and does NOT show up.

Thanks for the reccomendation.

Your in Scouting,

Rick

Okay, lets be honest about it: I am not a fat grotesque blob, but it wouldn't hurt to lose a pound or 30.

I am 6'2" tall and weigh 252 pounds right now. That is down from an all time high of 265 pounds.

Honestly, all my fat is on my upper body. When I try to float in a pool, my legs sink. Mostly all muscle- barely any fat.

My biggest fat area is my abdominal area. You may have a 6 pack, but I have the whole damn case! :)

BUt I am a nice friendly sharing guy: I want to give that case away. I dont care if I get a 6 pack or not, but am tired of the case.

I have a 2nd chin when I look down. Other than that, I am within a normal body shape.

Older, slower metabolism, and not as active as I was when I met my wife at 21 years old and 157 pounds.

So BSA says I need to be in good enough physical shape that I do not have to rely on the scouts to drag me out of the woods?

Can't argue with that logic myself.

Not here to hurt any feelings. If being overweight makes you feel bad about yourself, you know what to do about it.

From a Scouting point of view:

What would you say to a scout who was that out-of proportion?

The charts irritate me to no end. When I was 14, just back from Philmont, 6'6" tall, skinny, without anything that could be considered fat, I fell into the obese category on the charts. That was 1976, so you can imagine where I fall on the charts now, thirty-some years later. Something doesn't compute correctly when they get to tall people.

This is America 2012. A nation of fatties. Scouting is not immune any more than just about any activity. About the only place I've gone too where fat isn't a majority is when my wife goes to races (5k+).

People just don't take care of themselves.

I starting walking three miles a day and lost about 20 pounds in two months. I did notice that I was eating less, but as long as I keep walking (and don't drink sugar drinks), my body is stablized at a BMI of 21 without giving up stuff like pizza and pasta.

Like Eamonn (who walks five miles a day), I weigh about the same as I did at 16.

Baden-Powell's version of Scouting is based on walking:

Ranks are a series of Journeys and Expeditions, and a Patrol System of monthly Patrol Hikes.

http://inquiry.net/advancement/traditional/journey_requirements.htm

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net