Which uniform should wear?

Okay, even though this is a question about uniforms, it is not a uniform question.

That make sense? LOL!'

Okay, here's the deal:

I am about to be dual registered as an ASM, and ACM.

But look....I am not going to buy two seperate uniform shirts. As I see it, I may have one more year - two tops in cub scouting.

So, it's gonna be double duty shirt wearing.

Plus, the troop meets immediatly after the pack does on the same night.

Now, I am thinking I should switch to a troop uniform since the cubs may not pay as much attention to color of the numbers as the fact that I have them.

Cubs are there more for the show, and do not notice every small detail.

I am also figuring that as far as the cubs are concerned, they will only se my uniform during pack meetings and campouts. As far as den meetring nights, they usually only see me for a few minute prior to and after the mneetings.

So what do all you dual registered cub/boy scouters do?

It would not be that big of a deal to have two different uniforms.

I do.

When I leave the pack this year I will convert the cub scout uniform to a boy scout uniform and have a spare.

I have encountered many times when it would have been convenient to have a second one.

I am to velcro , what salt water is to bare metal!

Well, my succesion plan is working, come June 1st, I am stepping down from CubMaster to be an ACM. I have already started working with my excellent replacement.

The pack wants me to stick around, but I am thinking that, by the end of another year, I should be able to step dowm completely as there should be plenty of fresh new faces to take up the positions.

So it comes down to buying an extra shirt for 1 years worth of service.

PLus, I challenged my son . While he goes through his physical challenge, I told him I was going to do the same - so if that goes well I will be also losing shirt size or two ...meaning I may have to buy another one anyways and definantly do not plan on buying two in order to have one of each.

scout fish......Nobody cares what patch is on your arm........

I would switch them to ASM and not think a thing about it...

I have 4 uniforms and each has a different position patch on it.... I throw on which ever is clean or handy when leaving the house.....

One nice thing about an extra shirt for adults: it can always be reused, barring it no longer fits.

I admit I have way to many uniforms. I have two shirts with BS insignia on it that I am not touching until December 2013, and then it's to change the unit numbers and CSPs. Oh yeah and the POR patch from ASM to MC. :)

But I have transformed my other shirts to CSDL and CS RT Commish shirts.

You will get more than 1 year's use out of a second shirt, especially if you go to summer camp ;)

I second the motion for velcro. I have 2 shirts and both have velcro for the CSP, unit numbers, position and OA flap. That way I can transfer patches between shirts and keep the patches out of the laundry. It also allows me to not have unit numbers on when I'm doing Roundtable work.

Don't like velcro.....had an adult leader stop me mid sentence where he peeled off his POR patch and dug in his shirt pocket and put on the POR related to what we were talking about and with great ceremony put it on his shirt. The finish was he asked me if it was straight before we continues our conversation......

Ever since I have hated the idea of velcro......

I would go with ASM on one shirt and not worry one bit......

The boys don't care about jobs or positions one bit. They care that Mr. Scoutfish is fun to play kickball with or is driving to the campout.

Basementdweller,

Confused: Adults don't have POR (Postions of Responsibility Patches.. those are for youth jobs like SPL, PL, etc), I assume you mean adult position patches, like ASM, SM, CC.....

I have velcro the same color as the shirt (from clothing sales on the base). But I picked up a shirt off ebay for me before I resorted to using the velcro for my own shirt. Initially it was intended for my son's shirts, but by the time he hit Life (and still is 2 years later) we really did not need it anymore.

I agree it is kinda strange to swap patches right in front of some one to possible think it reinforces their conversation...(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Ok, do you have the new "puffy pocket" shirt? And are the unit numbers the same? Then sew on one position badge, and sew the other on to a ribbon so you can flip it in/out of the pocket when needed, or glue it onto a money clip that slides over/into the existing badge. Using a clip would work even if you didn't have the puffy pocket, just open the seam on the inside patch a bit to slip the clip between the patch and the shirt.

Agree with BD. Cubs think that ASM is the same as CM or ACM anyway. Update your existing uniform to the troop insignia. That also sets a really good example to pack parents, who will see you helping even though, according to the uniform, you've "moved on."

On the other hand, boy scouts expect the ASM to attend to the program, and if they see cub colors, they may not tap you as a resource. (They may not anyway, but at least the uniform won't render you "invisible.")

If your troop is really into uniforming for every occasion, a second shirt is not a bad idea. But, you can cross that bridge when the Mrs. won't have anything to do with you and your ripe shirt on summer camp visitors night!

Oh can congratulations on the smooth transition!