Tools of the Trade - Methods of Scouting

In light of the thread on the uniform page whereas it is thought by some that partial uniform are sufficient, expedient, cost-effective, etc. I would like to use the methods of scouting, i.e. tools to show that a screwdriver can be used as a pry bar, a hammer can be used as a weapon, hatchet to pound in tent stakes, that is, any tool can be used in ways it never was intended and still get the job done.

1) Advancement - yet it is acceptable that only 3% of the boys actually attain the rank of Eagle.

2) Ideals - yet, tread after thread shows that bullying, criminal behavior, disciple problems are tolerated over and again in many situations.

3) Patrols - 300', No Way! Mix and match, boys don't show up, ad hoc patrols for competition, whole troop emphasis on everything else.

4) Outdoors - Only an Eagle Scout of today can attain the rank without ever having to start a fire, let alone cook on it.

5) Adult association - Training? We don't need no stinkin' training!

6) Personal growth - Does helicopter parent come to mind? Heck, I got removed from SM position by parents because I expected too much leadership out of my boys.

7) Leadership development - see above... Adult-led, etc. all fit in this category

8) Uniforms - yeah, right! With the polyform policies, there are Class-A's (maybe the pants are included), Class-B's and Class-C's, activity uniforms, waist up uniforms, real uniforms, full uniforms with Wal-Mart pants, camo anyone? etc. etc. etc.

If everyone understood the methods of scouting, I'm afraid this forum would cease to exist.

A tool is most effective on a job when used properly.

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, people aren't perfect, eh?

I've been doin' scouting for a lot of years in quite a range of places and worked with more troops and crews and ships and posts (and a few packs too!) then I can remember.

Ain't never seen one that made perfect use of all the methods. Rarely saw one that made near-perfect use of even a single method.

If yeh want perfect, you're always goin' to be disappointed. Unless, that is, yeh really enjoy pointing out to others how they're not perfect.

So yah, there are a lot of troops out there that only do what I'd consider fair-weather trailer-campin'. But at least they're gettin' the boys out and spending some time with 'em.

Yep, there are plenty of adults out there who with training or without just don't seem to have the knack for relating well to kids. Their adult association is weak. But at least they're tryin', eh? And there's somethin' to be said for just being present in a boy's life.

Yep, I think most troops out there place more emphasis on memorizing the Oath and Law than on really living it. Really livin' it takes commitment and courage and fallin' down a lot. But at least they're tryin' to memorize it and give pieces of the puzzle to kids.

And on and on.

Each and every program can do better, sure.

But da folks who give to scouting are by and large a good lot, as are the kids.

Don't let perfect methods ever become da goal.

Stay focused on the Aims, eh?

Sometimes it's enough to get by with an old, beat-up and imperfect tool if it gets yeh on the road to where yeh want to go.

Beavah

I tend to look at the methods as a goal.

Maybe in a lot of ways like the Law and Oath?

Just as or just when we think we have it down pat, something comes along and either raises the bar or knocks us off the pedestal that we have perched on.

Ea.

I'm with Beavah!

I have plenty of things that need improvement in my pack program. But I'm working on those improvements, not giving up or in despair because things aren't what they might be.

For those who might want to suggest improvements in our first pack pinewood derby race in memory let me know how you'd improve the following plan (You can PM me if you don't want to intrude on the thread):

"Xxxxx Xxxxxx is our newest Cub Scout, and I was glad to be able to award him his Bobcat Badge Monday. Alan is Xxxxxx's father and has agreed to help with our Pinewood Derby race.

Because of possible noise conflicts with church services (see below), I have a tentative date of April 16th for the Pinewood Derby from 9 AM-noon.

I'm figuring we would spend an hour building and decorating PWD cars from the car kits right out of the box, and then racing from about 10-11AM or longer if boys are maintaining their interest. While Scouts are building their cars, adults would be setting up the PWD track which I have in my possession. Plan on being cleaned up and outa there by noon.

I'm expecting that we would invite families to bring in woodworking and decorating tools and everyone would share in using those tools as needed. I'd like to see boys deciding who they want to race against and perhaps awarding stickers on a certificate for each race won by a boy. We might want to add some additional recognition for "Best Decorated Car" "Best Sportsmanship" and such. Suggestions welcome.

If families have parents or siblings who would like to race, we might consider selling PWD kits @ $5 apiece to those who might want to build and race a car. The Cub Scouts would be receiving a free PWD kit thanks to meeting our Friends of Scouting contribution goal.

For those interested in perfecting their race cars and doing more racing, the district PWD race will be held on a Saturday in May that hasn't been scheduled yet. That would be available for any Cub Scout, sibling or adult who wants to do a more formally competetive event.

Any comments or suggestions on this general plan would be welcome. Just as a fr'instance, there is a pizza place right across the street from the church --- we might want to buy a large pizza or two as a snack during the race and have some drinks available."

The Bible also contains ideals for humans to live by and obtain a closer relationship to God, but no human has ever yet obtained perfection. We are all imperfect but we can always aspire to become better than we are.

The methods of scouting are there for all units to aspire to in order to help give the youth the best quality and most complete scouting experience we can. All scouting units are not alike and certainly not perfect, but they can all strive to do the best job they possibly can.

Beavah,

You must have been around some pretty sorry units during all those years, since you are always making excuses for them. I guess you never saw a really good Troop, because according to you, if the boys can say the Oath and Law, they must not be living it. If the Troop is fully uniformed, they must be a bunch of parlour Scouts with no outdoor program. Maybe if you saw a really strong, healthy Troop, you would have a different attitude, because believe me, they do exist.

The $64,000 question is why do these units exist, and others can't pull it off. Weak-kneed leaders is my answer. SMs are so afraid of losing boys if they ask them to wear the uniform or show up and participate. I hear it and see it all the time, since I get around to other units as DC and as part of the OA. Every method affects the others, except for advancement. I've seen huge units - 60 - 90 Scouts on paper - that could barely get 3 or 4 Scouts eligible for the OA, due to a lack of nights camping. These same units have a hard time getting half of their Scouts to the meeting to conduct an election. But they produce plenty of Eagles - advancement always seem fine, while the wheels on the rest of the methods are falling off. These Troops look exactly like what Stosh describes. Their motto - we make it very convenient for the boys to be in Scouts while participating in other events. That just tells the boys that Scouting isn't important, that you can always put it at the bottom of the committment list, but hey, you can still make Eagle! Then we get Eagles that end up murdering someone or get arrested for smoking dope right after being awarded Eagle. If the program is going to be run so losely that it ends up making no difference in the life of the Scout, then why bother? Are we here just to help boys get into college by adding Eagle to their applications? No thanks.

I have been saying Dump the Uniform because it does not seem to engender a whole lot of respect. Yes, the Methods are just that and we are to keep our eyes on the Aims and even Mission. But I have to ask

Its ok to have a adult leader sanctioned "Half Uniformed Troop" and we say that's ok because you have to keep your eye on what is important. Kids having fun and comming to meetings.

Then, why do we tell posters that if their youth can't pass swim tests to work with them, to have them defer advancement until they can pass the test, well, if the Troop can decide to not wear a full uniform, why do they have to give the complete swim test? Why do they have to be sure all the requirements are done for rank? WHy not adopt a Troop policy of 50% of requirements for rank is ok for us. After all, Advancement is only a method, its not really that important.

Patrol Method? Why bother? if you can have a half uniformed troop, why not have a half Patrol Method Troop as well. As Hoc Patrols are so much easier to manage and that whole 300 feet thing is just to hard. The methods are just that, methods its not like they actually need to be done

Outdoors? The Outdoors is just a method, one of the most vile insults that this forum can hurl is to call a unit "Parlor Scouts" :: shudder::. Well, the Outdoors is just a method, just as the Patrol Method is and the Uniform. Why all the hand wringing on those perceived to be "Parlor Scouts", as long as they are having fun, and attending meetings thats the important part, correct? We all know the outdoors is over rated, what is the shame in trailer car camping?

So, let's just dump the uniform, then we don't have to argue about it, we don't have to question others motives about wearing knots, we just would have so much more time to get onto the business of scouting

Arguing about the uniform is just not worth the energy, lets dump it and move on

I've seen huge units - 60 - 90 Scouts on paper - that could barely get 3 or 4 Scouts eligible for the OA, due to a lack of nights camping. These same units have a hard time getting half of their Scouts to the meeting to conduct an election. But they produce plenty of Eagles - advancement always seem fine, while the wheels on the rest of the methods are falling off....

Yah, BrentAllen, seems like you're da fellow who's been around some pretty sorry units all these years, eh? :p

Yeh see all kinds of units out there, run by all kinds of adults. My own preferences as you know run along da same line as yours, eh? I prefer units that set high standards for advancement and outdoors and real patrol method and genuine youth leadership and all da rest.

But I'm not a leader of all da units out there, nor am I their CO. My own preferences don't really matter, eh? It's my behavior that matters. And I try to treat 'em not as a bunch of weak-kneed schmucks, but as da caring fellow adult scouters that they are. It doesn't even matter if I'm right about 'em or not. What matters is my own choice and behavior being loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind and all da rest.

Yep, as OGE describes, most units do less than half the Patrol Method, eh? Not a single adult-free patrol outing in a year. Plenty do half advancement method, with nuthin' but MB universities and the typically rushed, incomplete FCFY program. We all know that many if not most troops aren't really youth run, and every district has its fair-weather-only trailer campers.

And despite all those things, I still see a heck of a lot of great kids in Scouting. Even the lads from those darn half-half-half troops come to their Eagle Boards of Review and appear to be the sort I'd be happy to hire or have living next door.

Because oft as not, that SM who I just couldn't get to wrap his brain around real Patrol Method takes off work to take his scouts to assist in every flood or disaster to hit a 6-state area. That darn SM who gives away badges like candy is also the guy who did such a job inspiring his boys to service that they were recognized by the President. Da fellow who never seems to show up in a proper uniform anywhere puts in over 100 days in the field every year, and his half-uniformed scouts can be relied on to run or rescue any council outdoor event, even for a different district.

That's just people, eh? People have their strengths and weaknesses, their likes and dislikes. By and large, over time, units tend to adopt the character of their principal adult leaders, strengths and weaknesses alike. No avoidin' it.

The only question then to ask is how we should act as brother and sister scouters to those colleagues of ours, eh? My vote is with friendliness, courtesy, and kindness. Just as we'd hope they'd do for us.

Beavah

OGE

Sorry but you are comparing apples to oranges and your argument falls FLAT on its face.

A swimmining test is a skill, which might be necessary to save that scouts life or anothers one day. A troop who wears scout shirts only versus one who wears scout shirt and pants makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the kind of scouts they are or their skill levels in woodcraft, citizenship, or leadership. If you can't see the difference then I question what kind of scout leader you might be. Remember, as Ed(evmori) always has said, the uniform is not a required element in the scout program, it may be preferable but it is not a requirement to be a scout, according to BSA literature. IMO, a scout in at least a scout shirt is still identified by the average person as a member of the BSA, and I doubt anyone being helped or rescued by a scout (shirt only)is really going to give a dam* about the pants, do you?

Of course these methods are all ideals, and there are a ton of people working hard at improving, but at what point do we settle for second best and quit trying?

Just as everyone has personal differences, the point at which we place limits vary. Every time I hear someone say, "it's good enough", what they are really saying is that they have given up on the ideal and they begin to make up excuses to justify their position, i.e. "I did my best", "this method is not as important as some of the others", "in our unique situation we can't....", etc.

The minute one stop moving forward, they begin to fall behind.

Not everyone in these situations will be able to recognize or understand this, but some will.

This is why I tend to say, ...

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

Of course these methods are all ideals, and there are a ton of people working hard at improving, but at what point do we settle for second best and quit trying?

Nah, jblake, da methods are just methods, eh? They're tools, not ideals.

The Ideals are the Aims: character, fitness, citizenship, and whatever else da mission of the Chartered Organization embraces.

If yeh think of da methods as tools and the aims as the project, that's about right, eh? Yeh use tools to build a house. Being a good tool user is a fine skill. When building a house it's good to have a talented carpenter and plumber and a fellow who is a whiz with drywall. But the point is to build a house, not to be good with tools.

As you yourself discovered, if yeh focus too much on being perfect at any one tool like youth leadership yeh might become a fine craftsman, but end up without a house. Even being good with all the tools in the toolbox doesn't mean you'll end up with a house, eh? And houses are different, eh? If you're building a beach bungalow that's different than building a castle or a townhouse. Sometimes yeh need to focus on stonemasonry and not carpentry.

Same with scouting. Some folks and COs believe that how yeh dress is an important part of character. They're lookin' for excellent landscaping, and might use more of that uniform tool. Others don't see clothing as a part of character, eh? They're building perhaps a townhouse or apartment, where the emphasis is more on living together skills and yeh only need landscaping on the outside at the entryways. Less uniform, but more patrol method or whatever.

I always tell folks da most important thing in Scouting is to have a vision for your Aims within the unit. That's what yeh never settle for second best on, and always work toward doing better on. Because that's the part where you're actually talking about kids, not just program.

Da Methods are just tools. Yeh choose da right ones for the job yeh need to get done, and don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

Beavah