Ideas for Boy Scout Instructor training

Don't forget the handbook! The "lecture" time gets cut in half if the boys in each patrol pass the handbook around and reads the instructions, each boy reading one scentence to their patrol. (I guess I'm in the don't-even-bother-with-groups-of-20-plus-boys camp.) Then, as a group talk about what was read (use props). Don't lecture longer than it took to read it. Never cover more material than can be read by a 12 year old in 10 minutes.

This is not so usefull for knots, more useful for map, saftey, and first aid. Regardless, by making the boys look it up in the index and read from the book, there's an outside chance they'll pick up their books when they want to learn something they haven't been taught yet.

I'd still group boys into patrols right after the demonstration. The new scout patrol has several years to learn this stuff, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. I would have a troop guide for each new scout patrol, just to help with the reading, repeat the demonstration, and guide the ones who are actually trying to perform the skill.

Each instructer then observes 3 or 4 patrols as they work the skills. He picks the patrol that is having the toughest time, re-demonstrates or guides, then rotates to the next patrol if time allows.

Wrap all this up in 30 minutes. Remind them of the page in the handbook. Let them know that patrols who are interested in more practice can arrange to meet with an instructor during an open activity time. (This means you gotta allow time for an open activity, or allow 1 in four troop meetings to be an open meeting where each patrol can pick their activity.)

I guess what I'm saying is with 100 boys, narrow your personal attention to the ones who really want to be taught. Encourage your instructors to be looking for the "teachers" and "learners" in each group and to not be discouraged by the boys who aren't there yet.

Like the shampoo instructions "lather rinse repeat". If the boys know this is the routine for every troop meeting -- or each morning, afternoon, and evening period on a campout -- you'll have fewer glazed over eyes.(This message has been edited by qwazse)

If an instructor of any subject ever told my class to pass the textbook around and start reading out loud in turn, I'd walk out and ask for my money back. Seriously. A good instructor ought to be able to explain the skill or technique in a way that's far more interesting than the Handbook does.

I would STRONGLY recommend that the Scouts have read the pertinent Handbook sections in advance so that they at least are familiar with the terminology and equipment. But there's no sense in wasting time doing rote reading when there are trails to be explored and bandages to be tied! Scouting's about adventure and fun - not grade-school rote reading.

And if you're having 12-year-olds spend 10 minutes reading from a book, you've already lost them. Attention span at that age is about five minutes, max.

If an instructor of any subject ever told my class to pass the textbook around and start reading out loud in turn, I'd walk out and ask for my money back. Seriously. A good instructor ought to be able to explain the skill or technique in a way that's far more interesting than the Handbook does.

I would STRONGLY recommend that the Scouts have read the pertinent Handbook sections in advance so that they at least are familiar with the terminology and equipment. But there's no sense in wasting time doing rote reading when there are trails to be explored and bandages to be tied! Scouting's about adventure and fun - not grade-school rote reading.

And if you're having 12-year-olds spend 10 minutes reading from a book, you've already lost them. Attention span at that age is about five minutes, max.

I agree with minimizing the book reading to near zero. Are there times when a direct quote or two is need forma book, yep. Cna an instructor use the book as a referecne, i.e. he forgot to make his note cards, absolutely. but reading from a book for the entire time is not the way to go; I could have read the book myself and not waste the time.

OK.. I know this is way into the discussion to be asking novice "Can you please explain in detail what we are talking about".. But I am intrigued and a little confused, because this may be close to what I am thinking about doing, and if it is I would like to know more.

Is this all in-troop/creww training and using Scouts for instructors? Or is this multi-troop/Crew, district wide training, where the Scouts of different units are getting together to cross train leaders and pick up ideas from each other?

I really want to start some sort of training that is between the gap of TLT training and NYLT training, and offer the boys a chance to figure out what they want to learn & teach each other. So a troop that is great with color guard could pass this training on to other troops. While some other troops PLC may show how to set up for a nighttime orienteering, maybe one troops could coordinate from all the troops ideas for local outings that when completed could offer all the troops new ideas on what type of different outings are in your own backyard. Maybe a Crew into rock climbing can teach a class to troops on rappeling technics etc.

I have some ideas, but I have not approached my District with it, and I am worried about the response of if we can pull it off. If I can convince them the youth can rise to this challenge. I also worry about those on my training staff worring that the youth will replace them so I am looking for ways to include the staff with helping train the youth instructors and making sure what they plan to present is of quality..

I am curious if this is something you guys have already put into action. If so, I would love to know more on how to successfully implement this.

I figure this will both help the boys learn great

>>I have some ideas, but I have not approached my District with it, and I am worried about the response of if we can pull it off. If I can convince them the youth can rise to this challenge. I also worry about those on my training staff worring that the youth will replace them so I am looking for ways to include the staff with helping train the youth instructors and making sure what they plan to present is of quality..

I am curious if this is something you guys have already put into action. If so, I would love to know more on how to successfully implement this.

Ahh. but I think District level because I am District Level. I am the new District Training chair.. That is why I worry about throwing my Adult Training Staff into a tissy, I want to make sure I offer them something to dig into with this idea, and don't just replace them with the youth doing their own.

If it goes from district to small groupings of different troops coming together then I will have success. Troop helping Troop. Crew helping Crew. Or any variety there of.. A way for units to make connections. Find a way to get excellent units to see the benefit of helping the struggling units. Get the struggling units not to fear approaching units with the knowledge.

If it improves the PLC of troops & Crew members in their teaching skills. I will have succeeded. They can learn as they organize a presentation, they can learn by watching others their age conduct a presentation. There is something about watching your peers that gives them a different perspective and has them not only look at the material in the presentation, but allows them to imagine what they may do different if they did the presentation.

If it raises the quality of the program for any unit then I will have succeeded.

Maybe I can't get all the scouts of all units to be fantastic Instructors like your unit. But, if I can make a dent in improving any youth Leader in any way, that will carry forward in improving their units overall, then I will have succeeded.

I don't know if this is per say JLT.. But, I do think it is more JLT the TLT.. The one thing with district JLT is that our district use to run it. All Troops depended on it, and when district stopped doing it, the Troops did not know how to run their own. That's because Adult Trainers organized and ran it.

I do not want units to depend on this for JLT or TLT.. I just want to get Units together to offer each other training. I do not want to form a dependency on it. If anything, they should walk away better prepared to train themselves, not with knowledge, but unable to do what was done for themselves. That is why I would like the Scouts to be the ones doing the organizing.. And the District Training staff to become those who are training the trainers.

Any ideas of what to Do and or not do, if I wanted to carry this type of event out?

>>I don't know if this is per say JLT.. But, I do think it is more JLT the TLT.. The one thing with district JLT is that our district use to run it. All Troops depended on it, and when district stopped doing it, the Troops did not know how to run their own. That's because Adult Trainers organized and ran it.

BIG reason why I do not want this to be created in a way that forms a dependency. So like with our ex-council lead JLT program when we drop the ball, there doesn't become a 5 year counter-productivity, until the units learn to become self-relient.

I am hoping that if we just aid in them doing it for themselves, then if district does drop the ball when my energy is spent, the units can form their own groupings.. Maybe not so large scale..

I just see units that are struggling and saying "You are not giving me the training I need".. The Basic training is something that they do, but still feel we are not giving them what they want or need, we have missed the mark. But they are unable to formulate into words what it is that they do need. So I see the question being asked, they are just not coming up with the answer.. I am guessing at the answer, because honestly I don't know the answer either.. But, I figure we need to start somewhere, then we can refine the answer if I did not get it quite right.

Now to hopefully entice the units that are excelling and not needing any help to taking the stage.. Hopefully they can see it as a benefit in helping their scouts take on more leadership responsibilities.

Well, that's second.. First is to convience the Key 3 of my council this is worthwhile, and to convience my Training staff that they will still have important roles, and are not simply being replaced.