How much does it cost to be active in your Troop?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now these prices were in the late 80s early 90s.

Dues: $36/year paid $3/ month

Monthly Campout/Hike: Varied depending upon what type, averaged approx $10/ trip x 11 months= $110

Summercamp: $95

Estimated total for average year: $240

Dues: $30

One-time equipment fee for new scouts: $35

Typical camp out $20 (ten per year)

Typical Summer Camp $300

Figure between $550-$800, depending on the year, the cost of summer camp (we don't have a council camp and we go out of region every other year), and the nature of camp outs.

Annual Dues: $90

Summer camp: $240

Campouts: $10-$15 (usually 8 or 9 a year) This generally covers the cost of food for the patrols and is handled within the patrol. If you want steak, you pay for steak. Last year we went snow skiing which cost about $40. We'll go water skiing/tubing over the summer and ask kids to kick in $5 to cover gas for the boats. Canoe rentals for a trip in the spring was an extra $5.

We also charge new Scouts a one time equipment fee of $125 which is payable over two years. A couple years ago all the troop gear was shot and we decided the best route was to start over. When we started talking about fund raisers, the parents voted to just write checks instead. Now we're adding Webelos as such a rate that we're having to ourfit one or two patrols every year. For that reason, and out for fairness to the guys who paid for the equipment orginally, we've continued with the fee.

Annual registration (includes Boys Life & Council Insurance): $30

Monthly Dues: $5 (comes to $60 annually)

Food for 10 monthly camping trips: $10 (collected/spent by Scouts, $100 annually)

summer camp: $255

Annual Total: $445

All other costs - equipment, campground fees, patches, Troop hat, Troop neckerchief - are paid for from our annual fund raiser.

Every 2-3 years we get a printed Troop t-shirt and charge Scouts the cost of production: $10. New Scouts are required to purchase.

We work very hard to keep costs low.

Annual registration fee: $30

Summer Camp: $185 - each scout that sells popcorn can use his profits toward this

Monthly campouts: $10-20 depending on where and what. Usually no cost if backpacking.

Once a year we have a relatively expensive adventure (skiing, caving, etc.) that runs about $60 cost to the scouts as we offset the remainder with troop funds

Troop T-shirt: $5

Our monthly campouts are a minimum $25.00 and usually higher

Typical two night outing

Food $13.00 @ five meal

Gas $5.00

Camp fee $4.00 State Park Fee

Camp Fee $4.00 State Park fee

----------------------------

Total $26.00

Add an extra activity, tour, boat ride, MB fee, Cope instructor... and the cost will usually be $10.00 higher or $35.00.

We use fundraisers to bring this down some, but this is a typical fee. Even with this two or three outings with long drives of big tickets items and a $50.00 fee can be seen for the outing.

Ours are very close to Lisabob, but our dues are higher.

Dues: $10/month

One-time equipment fee for new scouts: $35

Typical camp out $20 (11 per year)

($10 for food, 5 meals; $10 for camping expenses)

(one or two trips a year usually costs more during long weekend)

Summer camp cost:

(This year we are doing local camp, $165 and mountain camp,

$270. Troop generally covers gas costs for long range to

summer camp)

Winter Camp cost: $100

Troop covers registration and Boys' Life for all scouts. Also covers all equipment costs (beyond the one time $35 equipment fee). Certainly we handle all award costs, and even most patches including patrol patches, but not CSP or World Crest; we also have a custom neckerchief which is paid (replacements are $5).

We also have the unique responsibility (opportunity) to maintain our own building. The church owns the property and building, and pays insurance and electric; but the troop is repsonsible for all other expenses. Last summer we had to redo all the exterior paneling (replaced with hardyboard); total cost to troop was over $2500 but will last years, but we now need a new air conditioner.

Total for this year: about $900 for everything

We this is the first year (2010) we are going to 2 camps (long story) and we do not expect all scouts to do both, but many will. It is also the first year we have a council Winter Camp, which again, not all scouts will be able to make. Most scouts attend 7-8 campouts a year outside of summer/winter camps (no one made all campouts last year).

With all that in mind, figure quite a bit less, probably around $700-750 on average.

This year (2009), we are looking at having 37 troop nights camping (plus 2 more lock-in nights); 2010 may be up to 45 nights so you figure you get what you pay for.

Annual dues: $135, this includes Council fees and 1 t-shirt a year

Outings: Can vary from $20 to $40 a trip, last year this cost $300

Summer Camp: Went to a nearby council and this was $285 per boy. This year we are in Council and the fee should be $225.

$ 11.00 Registration

$325.00 Summer Camp

$150.00 Average cost to attend 75% of Troops Activities

per year

Opportunity to develop self-confidence, survival skills, learn outdoorsmanship, associate with caring adults, be associated with one of the most Iconic institutions of American culture

Priceless

Scouting, like advertising, doesnt cost, it pays

$50 - Yearly dues

$250 - Weekend trips (cost between $10-$30, average about $25 - 11 trips this year). This includes food for each trip

$220 - Week long summer trip

$30 - Ski Trip discount pass

Total - $550 if a Scout does everything. The troop usually supplements one higher-cost trip each year (Whitewater Rafting or the like) from the troop funds.

The adults will get together and sponsor Scouts whose families can't afford all the costs.

When Scouting (BSA) began more Scouts came from rural communities than from urban communities. The rural areas were, on average, less affluent and Scouting was seen more as a community activity - i.e. lots of opportunities for fund raising and community involvement. There was more sharing of equipment, facilities and the whole community "owned" the local troop so to speak. A little like "Follow Me Boys" - without the Disneyfying it too much. :)

Fast forward to the 21st Century and the vast majority of the population lives in large urban centers - as do the Scouts. The families tend to be more affluent and Scouting is looked upon as less of a community activity and more as an individual family activity. As such, the costs and dependence of family funds have gone up tremendously.

One year, my second son attended every troop meeting (three per month minimum), every outing (11 per year minimum) and every troop fundraiser. Estimated cost that year for him (i.e. me) was $100 for dues (@$25/quarter), $215 for summer camp, approximately $330 for outings (@ $30/outing x 11 outings), and I'm sure a few other costs I don't remember. Total cost was about $700 I'm guessing. Some years he went to Jambo, Gettysburg, West Point, Philmont, Double H, etc. and the costs went up. He sold his share of popcorn - much more as a Cub than a Boy Scout when he really needed it! - and other fund raisers. For me, I have more dollars than hours but I do think it is important for him to have some skin in the game so to speak. I never wanted him to think of Scouting as something that "costs money" even though in reality it did.

Was it worth it? Well, I was able to afford his basic needs - food, water & shelter and some sense of safety (a loving family) but Scouting was able to provide him with self confidence and teach him a little about achievement, respect for others and respect by others and a dash of ethics, problem solving and morality; so for me it was well worth it. I don't believe Scouting is the only program that help with the above but it is one that I enjoy to some extent.