How much does it cost to be active in your Troop?

As you can see, our troop doesn't spend a lot of money. At least half of the troop's parents are unemployed at the moment.

To keep campout costs down, we use troop funds (from fundraisers and generous donations from our CO) to pay for gas. We usually camp in national forests where there's no cost for the campsite. The only costs for the scouts are for the food. The grubmaster gets costs from the store and we divide it up -- its been as high as $10 per Scout when they've gone with expensive food, and as low as $4 when its a Saturday-Sunday campout (no Friday night).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$50 Annual dues including BSA registration

$200 Summer Camp

Weekend campouts free (paid by troop funds via fundraisers.)

One or two campouts a year may have special activities requiring fees.

All profits from popcorn sales go to the scout's account to pay for any fees, equipment, uniforms, etc.

The troop has a hardship fund so nobody is excluded due to $.

my biggest cost is having to get up before dawn for many programs!

sometimes we have a zero campsite cost because we do a half-day of volunteer work at the site. no patches for our own troop campouts

it helps to do a lot of volunteer community service projects, especially if you get a photo & write-up in the paper. Makes the fund-raising a lot easier later. We don't do any door-to-door fundraising--too much a pita for the homeowners

I suppose if a patrol & their parents are really strapped for cash they can pull their grub from the local foodbank

I would really strongly object to utilizing a food bank to provide food for a scout outing. Scouting is a worthwhile, yet totally voluntary activity. Food banks around the country are already facing trouble trying to meet demand from people who are not engaging in voluntary activities - but who really and truly cannot afford to feed themselves or their families on a regular basis. Food banks are a last resort for most of their clients, not a convenience. Scouting should be helping community food banks - not serving as a drain on them!

"I would really strongly object to utilizing a food bank to provide food for a scout outing"

you have reacted instead of thinking this through! What is the difference if the Scout eats his share of the family's food bank food at home or out at camp -- NONE!

Obviously you have never volunteered at a foodbank. the intake person requests D/L and current utility bill with matching addresses.

our troop just finished our quarterly canned food drive for the foodbank. How many food drives do you do?

Scouts are people too. they are just as deserving of food even if they are out camping

Boomer, first, this is not a contest to figure out who donates more or who works more at what food banks. I have, I do, and not all food banks work the same way anyway.

But I stand by what I said. Scouting should not be relying on food banks to provide meals for camp outs.

Dues - $48 per quarter ($192 year)

Weekend Campouts - $25 x 8 per year ($200 year)

Summer Camp - $215

Winter Camp - $60

Registration & Boy's Life - $22 year

The above is just my son's cost, not including me. We have Scout Accouts for each Scout that can be used to offset the costs. We have two fundraisers each year that give scouts an opportuity to build up their Scout Accounts and those funds can be applied against dues, camping fees, etc. Each scout receives about 66% of sales commission with the other 33% going to the Troop. In effect, a scout can quickly build up his account and pay for some or all of the costs.

Dues just went up to $80.00 - includes neckerchief, custom numbers, shoulder loops, all badges, registration, Boy's Life, troop t-shirt and some other things I don't remember.

Summer camp approx $215.

Monthly campouts vary - regular outings $30 - camporees, etc are more.

Winter camp $80-100

We have yet to do any high adventure, so don't know.

A regular monthly campout will be $5 per meal (4 meals) for food, plus a share of the camping fees. Our camporee fees are $15 plus the food cost, so those (three a year) are $35 or $40.

• 2 weeks later...

The troop that I'm involved with is chartered to an LDS church. We encourage the boys to get a uniform, but it is not required. We generally go on one outing a month, usually a camping trip but sometimes just a day hike.

We generally have the boys eat dinner before they arrive at the church on the day we head out, but that is the only cost to the boys. The church covers everything else.

The LDS church adopted the Boy Scouts as part of their Young Men's Program just a few years after the BSA got started so they cover almost all the cost involved with very minimal cost passed on to the boys.

This is very interesting stuff.

Each year, our PLC develops its yearly plan, determines its likely cost, and plans how it is going to pay for it. Traditionally, the Troop has made ends meet through dues and a few fundraisers. Dues were paid by the Scout, each meeting, at $2.00. It was suggested that parents NOT just hand the Scout their $2.00, but make them earn it (Troop policy since 1938). The problem is, present attitudes. Parents just can't be bothered paying two dollars a week, let alone making their children responsible for earning it, thus dues were coming up short, and it created a problem. No amount of reminders, discussion as to the intent, created a fix to the problem. We literally had to require that the yearly dues be paid up front.

I see this as another loss to the Scout program; another area where personal responsibility is being lost to convenience.

Recently, I have learned that a local troop requires hundreds of dollars, annually, to be paid up-front by parents. They have great equipment, including large dining tents and stoves. Lots a great stuff.

But, what are we teaching our Scouts? By doing this, aren't we just passing this generations preoccupation with "stuff", and how things look, as opposed to substance and the aims of the program? I don't think it's a coincidence that these high priced troops are all adult led.

But, your Troop is doing the same exact thing as the higher priced Troop. You are asking for a large, lump sum dues payment at the beginning of the year.

At $2 per meeting, and 52 weeks per year, that is $104 per Scout. Even allowing for 3 months off during the summer, that is still $80 per Scout. Do you really think this amount is coming from the boys? The parents are paying it. Just like the parents in the other Troop are.

No, not exactly. While we are asking for the $85 up front (and I don't like that we are doing it), it's a far cry from $350 up front PLUS several fund raisers. But, more to my point, from what I have been reading, above, I get the impression that these charges and set asides for equipment, etc, are being developed and implemented by adults. There is no Scout discussion of a program, how much it will cost (budget) and how are they are going to raise the money...annually. The budget (income) has already been set for them. No need to learn about how to budget and spend. We've taken that away from them. That's my point.

For years we assessed the Scouts $0.50/week dues. Some paid and some didn't, despite numerous reminders. Two years ago we increased the dues to $1.00/week and added a stipulation: only those Scouts who have their dues paid up can participate in Troop outings. We suddenly had a huge influx of funds -- to the tune of $300! Scouts have been very good at keeping up on their dues, especially after watching a couple guys who had not paid not go on a favorite camping trip.

This year the PLC decided to make dues $5/month, payable the first meeting of the month. No dues will be assessed for July and December. This works out to about the same as when we collected $1/meeting. As is already established, Scouts must be paid up to be able to go on camping trips. We'll see how this works.

Do the Scouts hit up their parents for dues money? Yes. But it is the Scouts who are responsible for paying it, and must deal with the consequences when they forget.

$40 per camping trip.

The grubmaster for each patrol buys the food for each patrol. He is allowed $4 per person per meal for the weekend. The scouts are encouraged to cook Fri nite, 3 meals on Sat, and at least one meal Sunday. So 5 meals at $4 is $20 for food.

Adults eat as a patrol. An adult volunteers to be the grubmaster for the weekend with same $4 budget per person per meal. The adult food is paid for from the camping fee. Seven adults x $20 for food is about $140.

Uniformed adults who drive for the trip are commonly reimbursed $25 for gas for most trips. Some longer trips (2+ hours) may get $50. Usually at least 35 scouts attend trip so at least 7 vehicles. 7 vehicles x $25 is $175. Most weekend camping trips are within a 2 hour drive.

Most campsites are state parks. Usually $2 per person, per nite. 45 people for 2 nights is about $200.

So $140 + $175 + $200 divided by 35 scouts $14.75 per scout plus $20 for their food is $35 per scout. Add on any activity fee.

We went to the National Whitewater training center and the fee was $75 per scout for the weekend once activity fee was included. The ocean kayaking trip was similarly priced to rent the gear for the weekend. Jan camping trip (3 day MLK weekend)is at summer camp facility with mess hall food for a mini MB camp. $109 per scout.

Wow! The programs are all over the map.

The forty dollar per outing looks high but then again the uniformed leaders aren't paying. Right/wrong, no such thing here. Its whatever works and get the troop out camping.

I can tell you that $20/ weekend campout for food is higher. We usually figure $2.5 per meal/scout.