In the Scouting Magaizne I got today for Septemeber-October 2009 there is a format change. A new feature is to be a column from the Chief Scout Executive. The column this month is about getting youth outside and combating obesity, a good call in any magazine. The final sentence reads:

"It's up to us to set the example along the scouting trail and help reduce the obesity rate of our future generations". Fair enough, I agree.

Then on page 45 there is an article titled "Fat Chance" with a profile more expansive than should be. Any by profile, I mean a side view of an adult. OK, I could have been the model, I wasnt, but yes, I could have been. I admit it. In the article about obseity and fat chilren and adults, Mazzuca is quoted again, saying: "Our role is clear: We must aggressively create and promote programs that help build healthier lifestyles for our scouts".

OK, I have been called out, the new fitness requirements have me losing quite a bit and I agree its time. But now to the part that wrankles my butt. On page 43 is a picture of the National Key 3, the Chief Scout Executive, the National Commissioner and the BSA President. And those three boys don't look like they have missed a meal in awhile.

OK, yes obesity is an issue. Obese scouters are a poor role model. But I would have liked to have the National Key 3 launch a Weight Loss Program, like a "Biggest Loser" challenge. You know, "Take pounds off with Tico" or something like that. To make such pointed references about the need to have slimmer adults and then have 3 fat guys be our National Leadership is a tad disingenious.

I don't hold that they are heavy now against them, as I am basically in the same shape. But I would have much more respect towards to the call to fitness if the National Key 3 publically took the challenge themselves.

Will the National key 3 have to submit to the 2010 weight chart? Because if the Jamboree was next week, I dont think any of them would be allowed in (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to know I was not the only Scouter to notice the disparity there.

I asked my son to read the article on page 8, no other lead in, just asked him to read it and let me know his thoughts. His response was "says the fat man!" pointing to the picture of Mr Mazzuca.

I must say, that was my first impression upon reading the article also. Including pictures of overweight BSA executives in these articles about overweight Scouters was not a smart marketing move!

Holy Toledo! You're right! Talk about hypocrisy. Thanks for pointing to that. I guess I'm in the lucky few who really can eat all I want and not gain much. On the other hand, I probably won't survive global nuclear war or something like that.

OGE, did you get edited by another moderator or does your self-edit just show up that way?

Pack, I was rereading my scintilating prose and noticed some rather inexcusable typos and it was past the time I could edit reguilarly so I used my moderator edititng function. As you know, when I do that it comes out "edited by a staff member" but it was me and it was just to fix some grieveous errors

My wife and I, too, immediately picked up on this - we have our Chief Scold Executive and other senior Scolders, I mean Chief Scout Executive, telling the VOLUNTEERS we are not up to snuff, when the PAID PROFESSIONALS cannot adhere to their policies and pronouncements. I say we all get together and send a cheesecake from each unit to the headquarters for the BSA leadership to pig out on! Let's make a statement that until they walk the walk, they can keep their opinions of our health to themselves.

In the interest of getitng this right, as in all Key 3, the commissioner is a volunteer and the BSA president (unit leader) is also a volunteer, Mazzuca is the only paid professional in the picture. At least thats what I thought it was. Doesnt matter much however, if the BSA is going to have weight standards then I expect everyone to meet them. I can see the Natinal key 3 not meeting them at the outset, heck, like I said I don't meet them. But I will in a year, I expect they will as well or at least be on their way to meeting them

"Because if the Jamboree was next week, I don't think any of them would be allowed in".

According to the medical form FAQ's the weight limit will not apply to the Jamboree. I think the picture shows us why. Picture the headline, "Chief Scout Executive Too Fat to Attend National Jamboree". No, not gonna let that happen now are we?

Hal

I've known the National Commissioner for years. This is not an attempt to defend him, but shake his hand. He's a big guy and wouldn't meet the height-weight criteria, but he'll crush your hand. Out of the Key 3, he was the only one that helped us load/unload program materials/trading post stuff/tables& chairs at NOAC. He is definitely not out of shape. He busted his butt for the logistics guys at NOAC.

I'm not over weight, I'm under height. Doing some extrapolation from the height/weight chart, I need to grow about 14 inches taller. That's probably almost as likely as loosing the weight.

So who among us has the cajones to write a letter to the editor asking which of the key three posed for the photo on the next page?