Scouts on NBC Nightly News Tonight (Mar 3, 2009)

Set your Tivos and DVRs!

Scouts on NBC Nightly News Tonight (Mar 3, 2009)

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams will air an interview tonight (Tuesday, March 3, 5:30pm CT) with Chief Scout Executive Bob Mazzuca. The interview will discuss BSA's increased outreach to and recruiting of Hispanic families.

In addition, you may also see news coverage this evening of President Obama's meeting with a national delegation of Scouts in the Oval Office. This is the annual Report to the Nation.

The President is the President, regardless of political affliation. I didn't vote for him, but I certainly hope - no, expect - members of our forums will respect the position, especially in this situation.

yep, that's what I meant...

BTW, the First Amendment guarantees my right of free political speech. That includes henpecking his policies to a fare-thee-well.

I can say the Emperor has no clothes if I darn well want to!

Well, since I posted this to "Program" instead of "Issues", can we keep the political talk out of this (with all due respect to everyone's free-speech rights)?

By the way, President Obama closed the White House visit to the press, which is why we didn't see it on tonite's news.

Closing the visit to the press could have been for any number of reasons. I'm not sure it helps to speculate on the reasons; perhaps we'll find out at some point.

At any rate, I did catch the MSNBC coverage of latino outreach by BSA online. They actually had two segments available on the website; one they aired on TV and another longer one where they had more of the Scout Executive's interview. For interested parties, I recommend getting online and viewing it. I don't know if it will still be available later, but it's there now.

-Liz

"Camping is not necessarily a big thing with them, as a matter of fact in some cases it is not big at all.

"So we need to kind of think about, is it more important that we reach that child with the kind of things we have for children and we have for families in character development and leadership skill growth and all of those things. Or is it more important that we get them in a tent next week. And so I think the answer to that is fairly obvious to us.

"The other is that marvelous passion for family in the Hispanic world and when we say 'we want to take your twelve-year-old son but you can't come' we're making a mistake there. We have to engage an entire family. We need to reach out and do those sorts of things that recognize their cultural issues and accommodate them. For example one of our pilot programs over the last recent years has been Scouting and soccer, using the attraction of the soccer game to gather Hispanic families around...."

I was also thinking about Kudu. My personal thought was that on a CS fine I can see not camping, heck I went campingonly 2 times as a CS. But BOY SCOUTS? SCOUTING IS OUTING.

Another thing is that yes we have to be respectful of other peoples beliefs and customs, but when you decide to move to another country, you have to adapt your beliefs and customs to the culture you decided to move into.

Yes, but what a sad commentary on "Scouting in the 21st Century" that opposition to the BSA's intentional move away from our Congressional mandate is somehow perceived to be MY issue.

Sec. 30902. Purposes

The purposes of the corporation are to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods that were in common use by boy scouts on June 15, 1916.

Mr. Peabody: Sherman set the Wayback Machine for Sept, 1972.

Sherman: Where are we going Mr. Peabody?

Mr. Peabody: To the Improved Scouting Program

Sherman: Ah, can't we go to the Titanic maiden voyage instead?

Say let's have an Improved Scouting Program to attract a certain demographic... And drop Camping merit badge as Eagle required as after all it is 'not necessarily a big thing' to some people.

Been through this stupidity (I am greatly sugar-coating my opinion here) before. 'Green Bar' Bill Hillcourt came back, but even he could not repair all the damage and restore membership levels. I think by the time Green Bar Bill wrote a new handbook, "scout" membership had dropped more than 2 million - more than the current "scout" membership now.