So some quick background. I grew up in scouts going to Philmont, Boundary Waters, etc. Got my eagle when I was 15 and worked at a camp in Missouri through about age 21.

Since then graduated college and working in Dallas in a good job and miss the "service" aspect and working with youth I had in scouting. I'd like to get involved again, could even go back to my old troop, but I wondered what the general feel is of those in scouting about leaders in their late 20's with no kids in the program?

My troop growing up would have a leader with no kids, even our scoutmaster, but they were always older guys in their late 30's and 40's or much older in their 60's with no kids in the house so a little different.

If I didn't end up going back to scouting think I would probably volunteer with another organization like Big Brothers.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once an Eagle always an Eagle. Stick with what you do best. Age or having kids have nothing to do with being an effective leader. Welcome back to Scouting, you will not regret it.

Stosh

Please go back. The younger adults can do so much more in keeping up with the kids. But be ready for a few parents to be a bit nervous at first. That is just being protective. Don't let that bug you. Be patient. Give them a chance to learn about you. If you have a girlfriend, bring her along once in a while. All parents wonder why someone without a boy in the progrm would want to spend their time with kids. Talk about why you do it and the parents will settle in.

I was an adult leader in my 20's without any children of my own.

There was more concern from other adult leaders when I volunteered than any of the parents. After contacting the references on my application they accepted me. A few years down the road I was respected enough by parents and the troop leadership I was asked to be the Scoutmaster.

I highly recomend doing this if you have the ambition. I had more time to devote to scouting back then than I do now that I have a family. And the rewards are too numerous to mention here.

DAL_TX,

Go for it. My 21 y/o wanted to be an ASM when he turned 18. The younger Scouts associate better with him because he is younger and more energetic then us old geezers. The parents will get use to you. Some of the leaders, if it is your old Troop, hopefully will know you. Good luck.

Eric P.

ASM915

I began as a scout leader at the age of 22, and was a unit leader for 18 years before my son was old enough to join scouting. I never felt that my age or my lack of parenting experience ever effected my abilities or the way I was treated by others. I think you will likely do just fine.

Welcome back!

BW

Ditto to just about everything that has been said.

I was very young when I became a Scout Leader back in the UK.

Looking back, I see that maybe my biggest problem was wanting things to move a little faster and maybe thinking that I was right and everyone else was wrong. - I kinda grew out of that. But I still see a lot of old codgers who seem to think that way! So maybe age wasn't a factor?

Eamonn.

Go for it we had the benefit of a young man recent eagle scout for a couple of years. The scouts love em and they are considered more fun than us old fuddy duddy parents. Young men need to be on a career development path though and that is why the young fellow who worked with us moved out of state.

I first became a serious adult leader in the Air Force at age 24 when I became a Scoutmaster. There were challenges in not being a parent, but other advantages.

Things are a big different now in that there is so much more awareness of and sensitivity to child abuse. As others have said, I would suggest that you confront that head-on, tell the unit why you want to be a leader, encouage them to check your references and get them to tell you how much they are comfortable with you doing and not doing. Until they get to know you, I would be even more scrupulously careful than usual about youth protection, etc.

I would also take a full set of training as soon as possible even if you think that you don't need it. And get to Wood Badge at your earliest opportunity. You want to work with adults and be considered an adult.

I agree with most of what has been said here. I was one of those young adults who stuck around after turning 18. I stayed with my troop until I went to college, where I joined another troop as an ASM. That lasted my 4 years at college. When I returned home after college, I rejoined my old troop as ASM, and became Scoutmaster when I was 26. I'm still the scoutmaster after 12 years, and have enjoyed every minute of it. I'm married with 2 children (no boys). You shouldn't have any problem joining as a young adult, as volunteers are always welcome, especially those with experience...

I am currently a leader in my late 20s and working with the scouting program has been the best opportunity that I have ever had. I have had people ask me why I am a volunteer without having any children in the program and I tend to answer them by saying that I am a protoge of the program and that I am doing this to give back and see these young men receive the same care and regards for the curriculum that I received when I was in the program. Keep on pushing forward and giving back to the most wonderful program that anyone can become apart of.

One of the BEST SM's I ever had the honor of meeting was in his 20's and did not have a child. Unfortunately he was "talked" out of Scouting by an adversarial adult (military officer) so he left (he was enlisted).

It is not the age, but the person and the experience that the BOY's look up to.

Not saying it will be easy (or hard) as I do not know your group but if it is what YOU want to do, think of the boys, can you help them? If so, then DO IT!

The only thing I can add to all of the above is to remember that you are coming back on the other side of the aisle.

You wouldn't be a Scout but a Scouter - one who is there to facilitate the program FOR the boys.

Come on back, your knowledge and experience as a Scout will most likely be an asset to any adult team and thus to the Troop.

Maybe the Troop is looking for a Venturing Adviser - something none of the parents want to do because they think they couldn't keep up.

Definitely look into it! Let us know where you land.

Thanks, some good advice.

Definitely not worried about being on the other side of the aisle/separating from the scouts. I'm 26 years old, not saying that's old just a pretty big age difference and was an active ASM for about a year and wasn't an issue. When I was at camp worked as a director and managed staff and program area.

I worried most about perception and it seems that is something that will be common no matter what I decide to do and will be important to establish the why of what I'm doing.