My son and I crossed over into a Troop last May. In our Pack I had been the Cubmaster plus once a WDL. I had been trained short of WB21 for the position that I was in and once moving to the Troop quickly went through the online training for Troop level positions. At the first committee meeting as I was inquiring what role they would like me to take in the Troop I was asked to be the CC. I of course said sure.

Our Troop as far as I can see has a dis-engaged CO. Not an ideal situation but still a workable one as many other units are in this same situation. With this in mind I slowly waded in not trying to make big waves, trying to get the feel for what was going on in the Troop. What I found was not as I thought it should be. No PLC, no Patrol Method, very little outdoor method, way too much Adult driven program, older scouts with a what's a uniform attitude, and a program that seemed to consist of only advancement where the Troop would work on merit bades as a group as their program. This was not the Boy Scout program as it was when I was a boy and is not the "program" as the BSA provides today. I just had to do what I could to help change the direction of this Troop. I had many long talks with key players in the Troop. I thought we were all on the same page. What I was seeing was not what I wanted my son to be involved in and I also knew from past experiences that all of the boys would get so much more out of the program if things were changed to a more balanced program.

I formulated my action plan for how to turn things around. It included having a structured Troop Committee composed of those that really wanted to be there. It has become appearent that my insistance on this has created plenty of hard feelings to develop in our Troop among some of the parents. I have simply asked that those wishing to serve on the committee ask to do so, become traind, and if they are going to be in direct contact with the youth membership then they should very seriously consider buying a uniform. I also stated that those not willing to be on the committee should still feel free to add their input but would need to speak to me to get their concern on the adgenda. Perhaps it was delivery of this message that others were angered by.

Fast forward to today. Many of the other committee members feel we need to ask the parents if they want to change our committee to an informal one, have a joint parent/ committee meeting where eveyone's input is welcome. They believe that if there is a structured committee then there will be an us vs them division in the Troop. I'm starting to feel and think that I'm the problem rather than the solution. What I'm doing does not seem to be working, although I think the Troop is moving in a positive direction. We have a working PLC, we are becoming more boy led, I have recruited a dad to become an ASM and everyone seems to be happy with him. I am seriously considering resigning or resigning and moving to a different Troop. I will be discussing this with our SM. Is it time to step down and aside? I am struggling on the best course of action.

Well...

It sounds like the changes that have occured are for the better. If a troop committee/parent group gets loosy goosy for a number of years, then it may seem like a Napolean steps in when someone like you want's to put them on the right track. If you feel you should step down, maybe you should take on another job, sounds like the troop is doing better, maybe you could become an ASM?

Try not to take it personally, people let the darndest things set them off nowadays. It sounds to me like you're on the right path, maybe taking too steep a tack. You have obviously made a difference and should be proud of that fact. If you stepped down, there would be no harm in that I think. Give someone else the job of dealing with the committee.

Leaving the troop might not be in your best interest, boys don't like to be uprooted like that, even though you are less than a year into it. I would venture to guess that any boy that is moved from one unit to another has at least a 40% chance at dropping out of the program. The odds are still in your favor, but honestly how does you son feel about the troop? You're there for him in the end. If he's bonded with his patrol, you may need to "suck it up" and either take an ASM job, be a supporting dad, or take on a district position, they're always looking for trainers and commissioners.

Good luck.

The points made by kb6jra are all well taken. It seems to me that the first step is to assess where your son is with the troop. If he is happy then you probably want to stay and make it work.

I find it hard to believe that the troop has no outdoor programs. This is the main thing the boys sign up for.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a structured committee and such a committee is likely to be more effective. By all means talk to the SM and see how he or she feels about the changes. If the SM is not on board, then maybe it is time to change positions or troops.

Wow, Brotherhood! Way to go, eh? All that since last May?

Movin' fast always makes bigger waves. Sometimes, those waves can swamp da boat. Sometimes, battlin' those waves can make the helmsman awfully tired, too!

Never known a good Scoutin' volunteer who didn't think about quittin' from time to time. But if yeh weren't in it for the 5 year haul, then yeh shouldn't have set about tryin' to change a troop's culture. It takes that long.

I wouldn't quit. I'd throttle back just enough to reduce the waves a touch, but stay at the helm. 3-5 year vision, remember! Me personally, I don't care for open, informal "parent committees" in the upper level programs. They always seem to turn things into Cub Packs. ;) So I'd say your direction is good, you're just movin' a bit fast. Gotta build up some goodwill first, particularly with your CO and key committee volunteers ;).

As far as your son goes, dat's his call, eh? Nuthin' at all says he has to quit just because you don't want to be CC ;).

My advice is to go on a hike with the boys and get recharged!

Beavah

I agree with Beavah.

To use another metaphor... your service in the Troop isn't to win the Boston Marathon (26 miles in 3 hours). It's to complete a trek at Philmont (100 miles in 12 days). A bit slower, lots to look at, time to rest, time to reflect.

Now, go take that hike with the kids B suggested! :)

No one can make that decision for you, or even imagine what level of frustration you have or do not have. Or even know how much time or effort you are willing to invest in the current unit.

I do commend you on what you are trying to accomplish. Your evaluation of what is and what should be show that you understand where the unit has parted ways from the actual scouting program.

If you decide to stay I would suggest you start by personally re-establishing the relationship with the charter organization. Meet with the Institutional Head (IH) and the Charetr Organization Representative (CR). This is their troop, they should have picked you not the committee. Come to an agreement among the three of you as to what direction you want the troop to go then meet jointly with the Scoutmaster and explain your goals to him.

I would caution you against the "informal committee" most parents are not trained in the program and as parents this is not "their troop" the troop belongs to the charter organization and their interests are represented by you, the IH and the CR, not the parents, not the Scoutmaster. The parents may choose to keep their Scouts as members or not. The Scoutmaster and assitants work for the charter organization at the behest of YOU the IH and CR not the other way around. The adult program leaders have an obligation to follow the program of the BSA to meet the shared goals and missions of your Charter organization and the BSA. So get management on the same page, then invite the current program leaders to steer the program along the BSA scouting program. If they are unable, or unwilling to do that then select new leaders who will. Finally select a committee that can help develop resources to support the efforts of the program leaders.

Certainly a challenge, but the end result should be rewarding for everyone.

Good Luck

BW

Sometimes the harder you push the harder things push back (that would be Newtonian physics, Beavah ;)). You have identified the goals well enough. The best way for those goals to be achieved is for everyone to understand why they are good and to want to do it. That may take some time.

This unit also had a disengaged CO, still does to some extent. I made myself unpopular by stating some hard realities in terms that were very direct. But they got the message and I think they are trying to turn things around.

If I were you and I was trying to decide whether to stay or not, I'd let my son determine the outcome. If my son was happy and doing well, I'd stay. If not, I'd consider another option.

Either way, good luck. It's all about the boys.

Well! Been there done that. (LOL)

Give it a breather for a couple months at least. I have found that time will melt the fog of emotion. Once that fog drifts away, folks can see your heart and they find that they want what they see there.

Just like anything new, this is a learning experience for everyone. I like to teach adults that you have to push the boundaries to find them so that you don't limit yourself or hold back the scouts. You know the boundaries now.

Thanks for everything.

Barry

Heartfelt thanks to all who responded! Ya'll provided the support I was hoping for. I had a discussion with our SM last evning and he pretty much agrees with me and my direction and wishes me to stay where I am. My son has said he likes where he is. Going through a transitional phase at the unit level is hard and frustrating at times but we are making positive progress. Long term I think we can get our Troop back on track.

I've also been recruited by our new DE to be a unit commish. He's also for the first time in years recruited a DC. I see really great things happening in Scouting in my district in the near future.

I see really great things happening in Scouting in my district in the near future.

Your DE must be happy to have you and other dedicated Scouters step up to the plate and make it happen. Sometimes it takes someone willing to be the punching bag in order to get change to begin happening. Great news about your conversation with your SM. I think it's great he sees your vision and agrees with it. Keep up the good work.

Step down? Surely you gest! The first year is the honeymoon period where the old guys will cut the new guy a little slack. Make the most of it and don't back off. You have a good vision of what is necessary and you've been able to get it off the ground. The old guys will eventually realize this and get on board, especially when the see the results of sucessful/excited boys.

Your problem right now is that you are second guessing yourself. If you are successful, then the others will second guess you as well. Leaders live with their decisions. You will know when things aren't right, change it.

If you have boys picking up the slack, leaders getting trained, committee functioning, program improving, I'd say the worst thing you could do is step down or even back off.

Remember, however, you may not fully realize the success of your efforts. The troop too many years to deteriorate to the point they were at. Traditions and business-as-usual had become entrenched. Once that mold had been broken, anything's possible! You have your vision of what that might be and only you can instill it into the boys and other leaders. Once they begin to see the value in what you're doing they will change. Now, keep it in mind they may hang you out to dry, blame you for everything wrong with the troop and even global warming, you may be on the ropes and out of the game in an instant, BUT, you have gotten the troop off of their downward spiral, you have given them an option that they didn't know they had. The next CC will be the first to realize the importance of what you are doing. Hang in there you are doing it right.

Stosh