What foods are considered a delicacy in your area?

Forgot:

* Cole slaw- with a proper mayo style dressing (not the vinegar mess) and celery seed (and NO carrots)

>Ed,

Do you normally eat this all at one sitting or could you consume this meal over the course of a month or two?

Ken

I follow the rule of not eating anything larger then my head. Anymore.

Ed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few here..

Dungeness crab Just pulled out of the water and into a pot of boiling water sometimes while still in the boat.

King Crab Ditto

Dolly Varden Fresh out of the water gutted and gilled then roasted over a open fire or coated in spices and wrapped in foil and set into the coals.

Cutthroat Trout Ditto

Salmon You got it just read the above instructions for open fire or foil..

My smoking methods are trade secrets

AK-Eagle

CalicoPenn, So, you know Seboomook? I think the Ellsworth McD's and a few more still sell McLobsters seasonaly. New Hampshire is not known for anything. But as a Mainer-in-Exile, Lobster and Steamed Clams. Theres also Pats Pizza. Or a W.A. Bean and Sons red snappy hot dog, with ketchup and diced onions on a grilled hot dog roll. Or Fresh fried Scallops with tarter sauce, and for DanKroh, in Mass, it's got to be Kellys Roast Beef.

1400 - I spent about a week and a half at Seboomook base - transfered from Matagamon Base when its Base Director and Base Operations Manager left towards the end of the season. (I was the Base Operations Manager at Matagamon). I also spent time in Howland doing OKPIK instruction (back when it was a National High Adventure Base program).

Calico

Growing up in WNY my favorites were pierogies, keilbasa with egg noodles, steak and kidney pie, Yorkshire pudding and of course Salens hotdogs. Shore lunches on fishing trips with Dad were usually walleye, yum!

College introduced me to catfish (usually one of the 3 "meats" at catered dinners), Dubuque Star Beer, brats and oddly enough Domino's pizza.

My time in the South is fondly rememberd for Frogmore Stew (aka Low-Country Boil), Shrimp burgers from the Shrimp Shack and all the fresh seafood I could shove in my mouth.

I've been in WV for 12 years now and I hear about Ramps, but I've never had them to my knowledge. Oh, I almost forgot, I had my first bunch of kettle corn at the Sharpsburg Heritage Days in 95. Really made me mad when we decided not to keep it on our order sheets for this year's popcorn sale! Grrrrr!

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council

WEll we have:

Tony Chachere's http://www.tonychachere.com/

TABASCO http://www.tabasco.com/main.cfm

Gumbo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbo

White and brown Shrimp http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/mrri/acechar/specgal/whshrimp.htm

Shrimp poboys http://neworleanscuisine.blogspot.com/2005/05/new-orleans-cuisine-fried-shrimp-po.html

shrimp etouffee http://whatscookingamerica.net/ShrimpEtoufee.htm

shrip fettuccine

Crabs

Red Beans an rice

Jambalaya

Catfish, red fish, tuna, etc.........

Boudin

Louisiana Crayfish

and of course we are the home of Popeye's Chicken and Biscuits!

Here in Wisconsin there are many foods we enjoy that seem specific to our state. The best is the Friday Night Fish Fry...the fish can be Cod,Perch, Haddock and even Blue Gills, the potatoes are either french fries or potato pancakes(served with applesauce). Cole slaw and buttered rye bread round out the fish fry fare. This seems to be popular throughout southern and central Wisconsin....fish boils are a Door county delicacy primarily.

And it wouldnt be 'Sconsin without the Brat! Johnsonville are the best name brand ones, some local meat processors make some good ones too. Brats must be boiled in beer and onions before grilling! Never skip this step...save the onions and carmelize them in a pan to add to the Brats when they are served on a roll of your choice...I dont care what kind of roll is used, so long as its lightly toasted prior to slipping in the Brat and onions.

If you should ever find yourself passing through Fort Atkinson WI, and its any day from Tuesday through Saturday BEFORE 1pm, grab breakfast or lunch at the Eat-Mor on Main street. Its been there since the 30's and is an old style short order grill...watch your order hit the grill...THE BEST hashbrowns in the WORLD! 130 N.Main St. Ask for a veggie scramble, tell 'em Kraut sent you!

I'm in Southern California. We're famous for our Mexican food. Go figure. Carne Asada es muy bueno. Mi gusta mucho.

I'm 4th generation Californian, and my family actually came here with the Donner Party (guess what they were famous for eating?).

There is such a plethora of foods and cuisines it's amazing. One thing I guess we're famous for in So Cal is In n Out Burgers. My son attended the World Jambo. On his return almost 3 weeks later the only thing he wanted was an In n Out Burger. They are amazingly good.

Also, I'm with CA Scouter. I spent a week in the Fishmermans Warf district in San Francisco and ate dungenous crab and sourdough every day. I don't think I could get tired of that ever.

Yes I watch cooking shows all the time OGE; Top Chef, Iron Chef America (not as good as Japanese original), all of the others. I'm a practicing ameature chef in my own right.

My troop backpacks mostly so gourmet is not something that is easy in the back country. We do make all of our own foods however, it's more time consuming than buying campmore stuff but it's also cheaper and tastes a lot better. Most recipies can be experimented with and turned into backpacking fare.

Old Grey Owl; Sorry...we havent yet had Brats on the menu at a BSA campout or trip...its not because of the no alcohol policy (we would NOT break the rule), but probably because Brats taste better at home...although we could prepare them prior to heading out...Nah, save 'em for home!

When backpacking, a delicious evening snack is to take a can of chocolate frosting, warm it by the fire, or better yet, make a double boiler with your cook stove and melt the frosting down and have Oreo chocolate fondue. You can also use vanilla wafers or anything else you manage to bring along relatively in good shape

Gee, about those Fish Boils. Lot of hype for what was essentially a lazy Scandinavian bachelor's evening meal (I think the Scandinavian was a Swede if I remember my legends correctly - figures (said as a Swede)). Take a slab of whitefish, some potatoes, an onion or two, and some corn on the cob (if available) - dump it in a pot and put to boil - when the pot boils over and puts your fire out - dinner is served.

Kraut - I'm a big fan of Johnsonville myself - and not just their brats - I do love their Smoked Sausage with Cheddar (Beddar with Cheddar - though the Smoked Sausage with Swiss (filled with swiss cheese instead of cheddar cheese)which I've only found in the New Glarus area (they may be available elsewhere in Wisconsin but I've never seen them in the Chicago area)were pretty darn good too. But you live in Wisconsin! Home of Usingers, and Sheboygan Sausage Company, and Klement's!! It's a Bratwurst/Sausage Lovers paradise!

I camp at the annual rendezvous in Fort Atkinson in the spring - I always eat out the evening I set up - and always at the Black Hawk Tavern & Grille. I might just have to "sneak" out of camp one morning to have breakfast at the Eat-Mor. Don't be startled if some guy wearing pre-1840's courier-du-bois garb comes in and sets at the counter - it might just be harmless me.

Calico