21 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Here're some additional random thoughts...

- The Congressional Charter is for the "Boy Scouts of America."  (Congressional Charters do not mean much, anyway, but BSA likes to ride that hobby horse.)  Will this "charter" now be defunct?  Probably not, due to some legalese...

- What will the new Eagle rank patch look like?

Eagle Scout Rank Emblem

- Will there, for the next few decades, be a bunch of "cool kids" with "BSA" on their uniforms versus "Scouting America"??  Will there be a run on buying up old logo uniforms?

- What will we change the words to one of our favorites camp songs to?? http://usscouts.org/songs/ifiwerent.asp

- Will there be a re-boot of the Fred McMurray classic, Follow Me, Boys! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060420/  Will Kurt Russell reprise his role as Whitey, and now be the Scoutmaster in Follow Me, Kids!

- Does my BSA memorabilia collection now increase in value?  (At least, the items that say "BSA" on them...) Is it time to insure my collection?? 😜 Especially stamps and coins:

Scouts BSA Boy Scouts Set of 8 US Issued Scouting Stamps MINT Great Gift Idea - Picture 1 of 2

BSA 2010 Centennial Silver Dollar, Proof in original box   cov - Picture 2 of 5

- Will we have an "Auld Lang Syne" party to say goodbye to 115 years of tradition?

Another random thought, it does explain why Jim Kirk was never a Boy Scout.

https://y.yarn.co/193eb197-66ad-4b5c-843a-0519c7779c8b.mp4

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And then you join and realize 90% of BSA activities are meetings and merit badge clinics where you have to write reports while adult leaders argue if googling information for your report was sufficien

How about going back to an earlier version?

I would say my troop is pretty outdoorsy. We camp 10/12 months, with a lock in IF possible in December and 2 weekends of Scouting For Food in February, being the 2 months we do not camp. Even during C

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Most of my Eagle Scouts have said Wilderness Survival should be Eagle Required

One of our most popular weekend events is an annual wilderness survival weekend.  This despite the fact that most of our scouts have already earned the MB.

• Like 1

My take is that it needs a tagline: (Except for Canada, Mexico, Central and South America)

No clue why we can’t be Scouts USA.

• Upvote 2
21 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Yeah, and think of all the churn, time, and money it will take to transition EVERY piece of literature the BSA (sorry... the SA... wait that doesn't sound right... "the Scouting America"  hmmm... ) has currently published to bring in the new name.

And programming/editing time for websites, web pages, posting new logos and name changes...

Printing of business cards... new clothing... design/production/procurement/of new gear... and disposition of old unsold BSA items in the supply warehouses...

Criminy... talk about waste...

We are talking millions of dollars here.

Sometimes, taking no action is the best course of action.

Scout shops were given a limited number of the newest uniform shirt that has a QR code sticker put on the receipt asking for feedback before committing to a full roll out.  It makes sense to me that if we are going to incorporate the name change on uniforms going forward that it will cost nothing more to have the new version branded accordingly. (by the way, I have one of those new shirts; better fit and much more comfortable than the last revision)

I would also expect that they will do as they have with every other revision to uniforms or literature and continue to sell current stock before putting anything new out, the exception being the new Cub handbooks, since that is a major overhaul to the program and requires pulling any remaining stock off of the shelf.

1 minute ago, qwazse said:

No clue why we can’t be Scouts USA

Just a guess.... GSUSA may well be ok with seeing us rebrand as Scouting America but would consider it a bridge too far if all we do is drop the word girl from their name.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, MikeS72 said:

Just a guess.... GSUSA may well be ok with seeing us rebrand as Scouting America but would consider it a bridge too far if all we do is drop the word girl from their name.

I was thinking that, but Scouting America is no less of a trademark threat.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Just had a conversation with someone connected... his explanation was to this effect:  The corporation named the "Boy Scouts of America" will Do Business As "Scouting America", and there is ongoing discussion as to what the various program names will be.

Cub Scouts, Scouting America

Scouts, Scouting America

Venturing, Scouting America

etc.

I've been thinking about it for a couple of days.  I've come to the conclusion that the BSA was pretty much my home.  It may sound silly, but I can remember the first day I walked into the BSA office in my current council.  I had never set foot in that place before, but I felt like I had just walked into my home once again.  I did a little reading on rebranding this morning and found out that it's not unusual for brands to lose 20% of their loyal customers following rebranding.  I was extremely passionate about the BSA and worked hard to revive a unit, expand the program, and be involved as much as I can.  I drove 600 miles after work, got in a 2AM and was up by 6 so that a Cub Scout event could take place.  Now, that drive has disappeared.  For the first time, I'm content to "just be a parent".  I don't even know that I want to be the Scoutmaster for our Scout volunteers at Cub Scout Day Camp in June.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

I've been thinking about it for a couple of days.  I've come to the conclusion that the BSA was pretty much my home.  It may sound silly, but I can remember the first day I walked into the BSA office in my current council.  I had never set foot in that place before, but I felt like I had just walked into my home once again.  I did a little reading on rebranding this morning and found out that it's not unusual for brands to lose 20% of their loyal customers following rebranding.  I was extremely passionate about the BSA and worked hard to revive a unit, expand the program, and be involved as much as I can.  I drove 600 miles after work, got in a 2AM and was up by 6 so that a Cub Scout event could take place.  Now, that drive has disappeared.  For the first time, I'm content to "just be a parent".  I don't even know that I want to be the Scoutmaster for our Scout volunteers at Cub Scout Day Camp in June.  

@Armymutt, I empathize, brother...

And I want to encourage you.  

As a veteran, I know you grok what servant leadership is and means... and I know it is frustrating to see, hear, and have others around you who do not. (and to have to live through the consequences of their questionable decisions.)

The ideals and values we espouse are best transmitted (and maybe ONLY transmitted) through your example and presence.

Without the likes of you, we are lost.

Thanks for putting on the uniform... both of them 🦾  

Continue to stand in the gap.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

@Armymutt, I empathize, brother...

And I want to encourage you.  

As a veteran, I know you grok what servant leadership is and means... and I know it is frustrating to see, hear, and have others around you who do not. (and to have to live through the consequences of their questionable decisions.)

The ideals and values we espouse are best transmitted (and maybe ONLY transmitted) through your example and presence.

Without the likes of you, we are lost.

Thanks for putting on the uniform... both of them 🦾  

Continue to stand in the gap.

I wish it was that simple.  Prioritizing my obligations was simple on Monday.  1. Work related that I couldn't blow off or my boss would find out?  2. Scouts. 3. Everything else.  Kids had a sports game the same day as a Cub Scout event?  No brainer, we'll be camping.  I have a hard time being loyal back when an organization is disloyal.  I'm just Scottish and German enough to take it personally and say "Screw it" even if I really want to be there.

• Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Now I read on Mike Walton's FB post about how they are "simplifying the Scouting program" which some are interpreting to mean "dumbing down."

Most of the best Troops and Packs in my area have older scouters involved.  One major issue is that there appears to be less willingness to volunteer the massive amount of hours scouting requires from the upcoming generation of parents.  One Troo I talked with mentioned that in the past there was some competition over who would be Scoutmaster and now parents want a program but don't want to volunteer.  This may be a N of 3-4 and may not be widespread, but I get the sense that BSA sees a problem.  

Simplifying programs could be beneficial but could also lead to some really bad outcomes.  I hope for the best but I respect Mike and if he is concerned I am as well.

1 hour ago, Eagle1993 said:

Most of the best Troops and Packs in my area have older scouters involved.  One major issue is that there appears to be less willingness to volunteer the massive amount of hours scouting requires from the upcoming generation of parents.  One Troo I talked with mentioned that in the past there was some competition over who would be Scoutmaster and now parents want a program but don't want to volunteer.  This may be a N of 3-4 and may not be widespread, but I get the sense that BSA sees a problem.  

Simplifying programs could be beneficial but could also lead to some really bad outcomes.  I hope for the best but I respect Mike and if he is concerned I am as well.

I’ve been preaching for a more simple cub program for many years because it pulls down the membership for all the other programs. But, I fear it’s the troop program that will be changed, which doesn’t need change.

National has rarely shown to make changes to better the program toward a better program.

Barry

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

National has rarely shown to make changes to better the program toward a better program.

Barry

Last time National improved the program, Bill Hillcourt had to come out of retirement to lead it.

• Upvote 4