3 minutes ago, FireStone said:

Actually I think they were appeasing the simpletons by waiting 5 years to change the name. They could have done this when they opened the program up to girls but they knew that too many peoples' heads would explode if they did the name change at the same time.

There is literally no need to change the name.  The stated reason is to bring in more people.  Tells me that they don't care about the people already in who have been in for years and are totally cool with most of the changes - I'm still annoyed about trashing the Bobcat rank.  Sorry, but to me, when an organization changes its name, it loses its history.  You can claim it hasn't, but it has.  I never met a single girl who didn't join because Cub Scouts was a program under BSA.  I have met plenty who didn't join because it was too expensive.  I'm not seeing how spending millions of dollars to change the name helps reduce costs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And then you join and realize 90% of BSA activities are meetings and merit badge clinics where you have to write reports while adult leaders argue if googling information for your report was sufficien

How about going back to an earlier version?

I would say my troop is pretty outdoorsy. We camp 10/12 months, with a lock in IF possible in December and 2 weekends of Scouting For Food in February, being the 2 months we do not camp. Even during C

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, FireStone said:

Actually I think they were appeasing the simpletons by waiting 5 years to change the name. They could have done this when they opened the program up to girls but they knew that too many peoples' heads would explode if they did the name change at the same time.

I think they were more concerned about GSUSA's reaction, and they did sue.

7 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting/USA

"...quietly abandoned..."

And, I am waiting with bated breath to hear the GSUSA reaction to this.  I would be surprised if they accept it without objection.  

Yep I too see another lawsuit.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I think they were more concerned about GSUSA's reaction, and they did sue.

Yep I too see another lawsuit.

Sadly, I'm kinda siding with the Girl Scouts on this one.  It's a step too far.  It implies that there is only one Scouting organization in the US.  

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, PACAN said:

Don't we accept all youth (except those who don't prescribe to the Religious declaration) now?   Will that change?

If they plan to make a change, now is the time.  I'm tired of the drip, drip, drip of change causing constant controversy.  Get it over with at once or never change it for 10+ years.  I'm concerned that they will save this change for 2-3 years from now just when people have finally accepted the name change.

• Upvote 2

Considering that there is an impending announcement of full co-ed troops I think national is going to drop several bombs and al-Quida everyone who has been resistant to change/modernization.

3 minutes ago, DannyG said:

There is only one scouting organization in the US that serves all youth. GSUSA is Girl Scouts and Girl Guides. 

Here are some scouting organizations in the US that unlike the BSA serve all youth, even atheists.

Navigators USA - "The Navigators USA alternative scouting program was created to include everyone, and to help each person develop their fullest potential without discrimination. We aim to establish a world without prejudice or ignorance, and to treat every person with respect, no matter their race, creed, lifestyle, or ability. Navigators USA Is A Welcoming & Secular Scouting Program"

https://www.navigatorsusa.org

Outdoor Service Guides (OSG) - Formerly Baden-Powell Service Organization. they changed their name too in 2021.  "OSG believes that all people and all families should have an equal place in the scouting movement. We welcome scouts and their families as they come to us, and we will do our best to make scouting and its activities accessible to every child or adult who wishes to join.  We welcome everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion (or no religion), or other differentiating factors.  We believe that scouting is for everybody. We welcome those who have scouted a long time and those who have never tried scouting before joining us."

https://outdoorserviceguides.org/

Spiral Scouts

https://www.spiralscouts.org/about_us

Another $0.01,

18 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

"They also agreed to cooperate on the commercial terms of scouting trademarks in the future, according to the court filing."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/boy-scouts-america-girl-scouts-settle-trademark-dispute-over-co-ed-scouting-2022-07-23/

I think there is near zero chance GSUSA sues.  I believe they claimed they spent 3-5 million in litigation last time and received nothing from BSA.  I expect BSA lawyers, who won the last TM lawsuit, made sure Scouting America was litigation proof.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, MattR said:

Does this mean the BSA has joined with Scouts Mexico and Scouts Canada to form Scouts America? That would be fun. Oh wait, what about South America?

Shouldn't that have already been the case under "Boy Scouts of America"?

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Eagle1993 said:

I think there is near zero chance GSUSA sues.  I believe they claimed they spent 3-5 million in litigation last time and received nothing from BSA.  I expect BSA lawyers, who won the last TM lawsuit, made sure Scouting America was litigation proof.

I'm not a lawyer, but to me, "Scouting America" implies that it is the only organization for Scouting in the US.  That's fully knowing that it isn't.  While "Scouting" under the auspices of the BSA isn't confusing to the average person, eliminating the "Boy" tells me that there is no longer a separate organization unless I start digging when coming from the outside.

14 minutes ago, Tron said:

Considering that there is an impending announcement of full co-ed troops I think national is going to drop several bombs and al-Quida everyone who has been resistant to change/modernization.

I've not see that. 
The closest I've seen is a one year test pilot program assessing the viability of a third model for Troops, a second option for Scouts and families, of a co-ed Troop.  Depending on resources, leadership, and choice, this maybe desirable for some.  
I'll be on the lookout for that.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

The Congressional Charter is for the "Boy Scouts of America."  (Congressional Charters do not mean much, anyway, but BSA likes to ride that hobby horse.)  Will this "charter" now be defunct?  Probably not, due to some legalese...

That legalese is  called a DBA ("Doing Business As"). Seeing as you aren't aware of that, you'd probably be surprised how often the public name of a business is not actually the same as the official registered name of the business entity.

• Thanks 1
Just now, nolesrule said:

That legalese is  called a DBA ("Doing Business As"). Seeing as you aren't aware of that, you'd probably be surprised how often the public name of a business is not actually the same as the official registered name of the business entity.

Also, I do expect BSA may look to update their charter. The boy club officially updated their charter to the boys and girls club when they added girls.

2 minutes ago, BinTharDunThat said:

I've not see that. 
The closest I've seen is a one year test pilot program assessing the viability of a third model for Troops, a second option for Scouts and families, of a co-ed Troop.  Depending on resources, leadership, and choice, this maybe desirable for some.  
I'll be on the lookout for that.

Co-ed Dens was a pilot too- about three years after folks were already doing it. Anything that the E board does that adds even a rationalization that they increased membership by 1 youth, they are not going to undo that. This will impact units like mine, that as of today would be in a struggle for the third year in a row to hit 5 youth to recharter. Now, being a co-ed unit, we could recharter with 1, 2, 3, 4, or even none.