A Question About a WEBELOS Attending a Scout Troop Camping Trip

So, a parent of a WEBELOS just asked if his son could attend an upcoming Troop camping trip.  The WEBELOS is 11 years old. His WEBELOS den is still working on AOL, with no real end goal in sight.  The Scout wants to cross over and is thinking about abandoning the AOL program....

The G2SS says Cub Scouts must attend with a parent. (among other restrictions).

So, given that, at any moment, this Scout could join the Troop if he wishes, he should be able to make this trip, and without a parent, correct?

(nod to @qwazse, I know, I know, Rule #1 (Don’t ask for a rule, you’ll live to regret it.) )

My thinking is that he is fine to come with us if he meets any of the Scouts, BSA joining criteria:  1) 10 years old and fifth grade, after 01 March; 2) 10 years and and completed AOL ; 3)  11 years old.  His status as a registered Cub Scout is irrelevant at the 11 year old point.  That is, if he was not registered in Cub Scouts, and was walking in off the street, he is welcome to go on a Scout camping trip, and is covered under the auspices of BSA due to "intent to join".

"Youth can join Scouts BSA if they are at least 10 years old, currently in the fifth grade and register on or after March 1st; OR have earned the Arrow of Light Award and are at least 10 years old, OR are age 11 but have not reached age 18."  https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/faqs/

Thoughts or observations?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is why it cannot be done with a single Webelos.  

Is this what you mean?  

So, a parent of a WEBELOS just asked if his son could attend an upcoming Troop camping trip.  The WEBELOS is 11 years old. His WEBELOS den is still working on AOL, with no real end goal in sight.  The

We wouldn't allow a youth not in Cubs to attend any activity other than a troop meeting (and, depending on the agenda for a troop meeting, there potentially could be things we wouldn't let them participate in- knife making night, probably not; knot skills, OK) without being actively registered through the troop. They don't really know us, don't really know our expectations (and neither does the parent), and we don't necessarily know enough about the youth.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

We wouldn't allow a youth not in Cubs to attend any activity other than a troop meeting (and, depending on the agenda for a troop meeting, there potentially could be things we wouldn't let them participate in- knife making night, probably not; knot skills, OK) without being actively registered through the troop. They don't really know us, don't really know our expectations (and neither does the parent), and we don't necessarily know enough about the youth.

Understood. We would, and do.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a recruit attend an overnighter.  It is well under the umbrella of all things Scouting...  they are covered by insurance, have parental permission, and must have a medical form A&B.

What a wonderful way for them to get to know us, see what is expected of them, and learn about the youth...

The question was really about the Cub Scout-iness of the situation.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
17 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Understood. We would, and do.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a recruit attend an overnighter.  It is well under the umbrella of all things Scouting...  they are covered by insurance, have parental permission, and must have a medical form A&B.

What a wonderful way for them to get to know us, see what is expected of them, and learn about the youth...

The question was really about the Cub Scout-iness of the situation.

It's in the G2SS (sort-of): Youth who are not registered in the unit may not accompany parents or siblings in camping programs of Scouts BSA, Venturing, and Sea Scouting.

Too much liability for us.

Edited by HashTagScouts

Registered Webelos/AOL scouts interested in crossing over can attend Scouts BSA camping trips with a parent per Cub Scout guidelines.  It is one of the Arrow of Light requirements, Scouting Adventure #4: 

With your Webelos den leader, parent, or guardian, participate in a Scouts BSA troop's campout or other outdoor activity. Use the patrol method while on the outing.

The scout can join Scouts BSA immediately by meeting the age requirement: he is 11 years old.  Scout/parents would just have to complete an application to join the Troop. National membership fees paid through Cub Scouting apply to Scouts BSA.

Our unit does not allow prospective scouts of any age to attend overnighters unless they are on the troop charter. So if the scout wishes to attend the troop campout without a parent or den leader present, the scout would register with the troop first.

We would welcome the lad, but require a parent because while he is old enough, he may not have the maturity to suddenly camp with a bunch of strangers. The BSA looses more scouts at this age because the experience of the sudden change of culture can be overwhelming (scary) especially on an overnight camping experience. And I would suggest doing only one night for the same reason. Encourage a patrol to take him under their wing with the parent hanging out with the adults. It will likely go very well.

Barry

• Upvote 1

You are correct, as soon as he submits a properly signed transfer app, his Cub Scout career is over and he is a Boy Scout, with all that goes with it.  

1 minute ago, scoutldr said:

You are correct, as soon as he submits a properly signed transfer app, his Cub Scout career is over and he is a Boy Scout, with all that goes with it.  

You do not need an app.  Just transfer through my.scouting

2 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

You do not need an app.  Just transfer through my.scouting

So, you no longer need a parental signature?  (I'm old)

4 hours ago, scoutldr said:

So, you no longer need a parental signature?  (I'm old)

Either the parent or a key 3 member of the pack can initiate the transfer in my.scouting, which will then require a key 3 member of the troop to accept him.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

Either the parent or a key 3 member of the pack can initiate the transfer in my.scouting, which will then require a key 3 member of the troop to accept him.

Hmmm... recent changes to my.scouting.org?  In-Council Transfer Application not accessible directly from the page...

Anywho, you can do an In-Council Transfer through Scoutbook (SB).  Look at the bottom of your unit roster in SB and you will see the In-Council Transfer button.

This will take you to the my.scouting.org Organization Manager Transfer-In Application.

You'll need:

- Youth Member ID

- Youth Member First Name

- Youth Member Last Name

- Youth Member Date of Birth

We get these info bits from the parents, when we have a conversation to get their verbal permission to transfer them over.  (Of course, you'll need to be in a role that gives you access to the Organization Manager tools for your unit.)

These electronic transfers make life really easy!!  And our Registrar loves that we reduce her paperwork!

WARNING:  Make sure the AOL is updated before you transfer them.  If you neglect this step, you will need Registrar intervention to put the AOL in their record.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

mmm... recent changes to my.scouting.org?  In-Council Transfer Application not accessible directly from the page...

On the roster page for the current Pack or Troop you click the check box by the name of the Scout.  That will change 'transfer' at the top of the page to a clickable link.  Click on it and it will ask you for the unit type and number, that will allow you to select the correct unit.  Once you click to complete the transfer it will let you know that the registration has been created.  The new unit accepts via my.scouting and it is done.  (Just did one today for an outgoing AOL)

7 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

On the roster page for the current Pack or Troop you click the check box by the name of the Scout.  That will change 'transfer' at the top of the page to a clickable link.  Click on it and it will ask you for the unit type and number, that will allow you to select the correct unit.  Once you click to complete the transfer it will let you know that the registration has been created.  The new unit accepts via my.scouting and it is done.  (Just did one today for an outgoing AOL)

Yes, that is to send a Scout out of the current unit.  Or a "push".

The info I gave is for a "pull".  You can bring a Scout into your unit with that procedure.