Tents for Scouts BSA and beyond

As we prepare our Webelos to move on down the line, I'm looking at tents.  I still have my trusty L.L. Bean Geodesic tent from the late 80s.  I believe it is technically a 3-person tent, but being in England, we kept our packs/bags inside with us, so it was a 2-person.  What are Scouts using these days?  I saw what looked more like single tents at the campsite we visited a couple week ago.  I was thinking of getting him a 3-person.  

Johnson Outdoors, the makers of Eureka Tents is exiting the tent manufacturing. Their Eureka Timberline tents have been mainstays for Scouts for decades. There might br some good deals to be found as they sell off their remaining inventory.

• Like 1

For good deals on a bunch of equipment, go to Hiker direct.com and sign up for their scout discount.  They sell their equipment at about 40% off retail to scouts. 

My personal recommendation is their Taurus Outfitter Tents.  They're sturdy, good quality, and have full vestibules front and back.  They'll stand up to really bad weather and twelve year old youth abuse.  These are not backpacking tents, but, they're not too heavy to split between two or three scouts if you're only hiking a couple miles in to a camp site.  They also have backpacking tents if the troop you join are serious backpackers,

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Upvote 1

I'm liking the idea of the Eureka tents.  I've found the tents for $138 and vestibules for $50.  I typically lean toward Big Agnes, but I also remember that young Scouts aren't the most careful of kids.  My only concern is that Eureka doesn't seem to make a footprint for those tents.  Their 2 person foot print is shorter and narrower than the floor dimensions of the Timberline 2.  Guess the kids will have to do what their dad did and use a plastic sheet and tarp.  

2 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I'm liking the idea of the Eureka tents.  I've found the tents for $138 and vestibules for $50.  I typically lean toward Big Agnes, but I also remember that young Scouts aren't the most careful of kids.  My only concern is that Eureka doesn't seem to make a footprint for those tents.  Their 2 person foot print is shorter and narrower than the floor dimensions of the Timberline 2.  Guess the kids will have to do what their dad did and use a plastic sheet and tarp.  

We invested in North Face Stormbreak II tents...

Great for local camping and some shorter backpacking trips.  But, has some drawbacks...

- Footprints are extra cost (probably the same with most tents)

- Vestibules are a bit small and make getting into the tent a bit of a yoga exercise

- Scouts must be trained well on correct set up (this is an ongoing issue).  However, once set up correctly, these can endure really bad weather and keep you dry.

- Tent bag isn't big enough (nylon tents needn't be folded... just stuff them into the sack, as the fabric has no "memory"  this also saves lots of time and heartache.  The bags that come with the tents aren't really suited to other than near-perfect folding (a pain), and certainly not stuffing.  Scouts have ripped them up in no time.  After market bags (add to the expense) work great.

Overall, we will not be purchasing this type of tent again.

I am holding out hope for a Hilleberg one day 😜 https://hilleberg.com/eng/

I like the footprint for BA tents with the fast fly capability.  Lets me set up the fly in a rain storm and build the tent underneath it.  That way I get less water intrusion through the mesh walls.  They also are lighter than plastic and fold better.  

Determine whether you need a 4 season tent or the conditions they will camp overnight.  If a 4 season scout unit, lean towards a good rainfly that reaches to the ground, skip the footprint and get 10mil plastic, a vestibule is good for keeping muddy boots out of the tent.  If they are a 3-season unit, the Coleman Sundowner is pretty popular.  My personal tent is a Eureka timberline 2 with vestibule.  Used on at Philmont in the 80s and liked it.  Been in one for more than 20years and own 3 right now.  Best buy was getting one at a yard sale for $10.  

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I like the footprint for BA tents with the fast fly capability.  Lets me set up the fly in a rain storm and build the tent underneath it.  That way I get less water intrusion through the mesh walls.  They also are lighter than plastic and fold better.  

A BA tent is an ultra-light backpacking tent, so weight will be always on the mind. Even still, it can be set-up rain fly first w/o a footprint, and a cheaper and even lighter than the footprint plastic groundcloth can be found using polycryo plastic (sold as window insulation). Get the giant size and cut it.  The stuff is way stronger than it appears. I am veering off from the needs of scouts and into the ultralight backpacking territory.

Tarps at tractor supply are quite reasonably priced.
I was just explaining to a fella who hadn’t been camping in a while that vestibules were for people who forget to leave their boots out sole side up.

Alps tents through hikerdirect. Many many troops in our use the Taurus Outfitter models. Our troop uses 4 person ones. Full tarp to the ground, vestibules on both sides, not a ton of mesh (hotter in the summer, but true 4 season), ticker floor, tougher zippers, and very inexpensive. They have held up for 5 years for us and are like new camping each month. The boy troop have used them for 10+ and they are holding up well. Much better headspace than the A frame Timberlines we used as a kid. No "magic flute" to lose either. For adults, we use the 5 person. On the big side, but totally can stand up. The boy troop backpacks with the 4 person ones. They are heavy, but they already have them. I wasn't sure when I was first told about hiker direct, I was like "yeah, other websites have discounted tents". Hiker direct really is a charity type of move for Scouts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coleman 6 person domes are $85 right now on Amazon.  They are tanks in my experience.  But... when the waterproofing fails, it does so in spectacular fashion. 

Our Scouts like buying their own tents, so we have allowed "at your risk" use of personal tents.  It's been pretty cool.  Scouts love it.  They get to see a wide variety of tents and styles.  Takes some cost pressure off the troop as our inventory is for "fallout" cases and new scouts who haven't invested yet. 

But at $85 on sale... coleman 6 man domes are unbeatable IMO.  They can withstand a literal flood and the rigors of regular Scout use.  They are tall enough for a Scout to stand in to change and comfortably fit 3 Scouts.  I've seen 6 go in one for the night (no gear) so ... it is possible :) They are easily serviced - you can get parts and shock cord easily and cheaply.  It's a pain but thrifty.  The only thing we don't bother with is serious waterproof failures.  We just keep the poles and stakes and retire the tent.  We'll often cut the bottom out for footprints.  The leftover poles, shock cord, etc. have given us enough spare parts we never buy anything.

I just have to pause and reflect over discussions of camping gear.

My camping/scouting experience goes back to 1967 or so.  And with 3 Eagle sons, and hundreds of campouts, as a scout, local council summer staff member, 4 years as a Philmont Ranger, and all of the campouts with my sons, less maybe 3, I own a small room in the basement FILLED with gear, some successful, some worthless, some purchased and yet unused because adding a few bucks to the order got me free shipping.

And, I have been through countless discussions with other scouters, and tested, tried equipment.  I own and have read all of Colin Fetcher's 4 books on camping and camping equipment.

And, I have a few pointers.

Every item you choose needs to serve as many uses as possible. And you have to think deeply on this.  It is not obvious or easy.  We all use plates. But a bowl can also hold food we'd normally expect to see served on a plate. But a bowl can also hold stew, soup, cobbler...hot chocolate... So a BOWL is more versatile than a plate.  So, get a bowl-you don't need a plate.  And a bowl with a handle, when your fingers are cold? Wearing heavy gloves? Get a bowl with a handle-easier to hold with gloves.  My titanium bowl with handle-are you kidding me?  I don't have one.  I take a 99 cent plastic handled bowl I bought at a hardware store.

Understand your need. Rain gear.  After all my time, I just don't have a good plan.  I have various rain coats.  Currently REi coats, but an ideal rain coat should cover to mid thigh.  So you can sit down on a log in a torrent, and have your Gluteus Maximus covered. Even better would be a raincoat that allowed you to cover your knees to mid calf when sitting.  And I know of NO company which makes such a garment.

Sleeping Bags.  I have owned 8 or so sleeping bags over 60 years. Read many articles on how synthetic sleeping bag fills are "better" than down-filled bags. Bought synthetic filled bags, but after disappointing results bought two down-filled bags.  So, I've owned both. Down-filled wins hands-down. They are not cheap.  900 fill bags are great.  Will never buy another synthetic filled bag.

Tents.  This is a bit complicated.  Some troops want to have identical tents for the entire troop to appear consistent. Like all wearing a consistent uniform.  I understand that.  My son's troop has declined to spend to buy troop tents because the tents don't hold up (zippers and waterproofing), so scouts bring their personal tents, and that seems to work out OK.

So, mention of Big Agnes tents. I have owned more than my share of tents.  Mostly Kelty, then a NorthFace Canyonlands, which I loved, (until...) and finally a Big Agnes Copper Spur 1L (I think.)

And, I have no idea who Big Agnes is, nor much about the company, but I spent a great deal of treasure on a one-person tent for my last trek to Philmont. Sight unseen-bought off the web at a good discount.

Best tent I have ever owned.  Precisely built. Precise.  Did I mention "Precisely crafted?" PERFECT.

Multitools/knives. Number one tool in the wilderness is a scissors.  Really? Yeah. Pliers is #2.  Stoves need repair. Pliers to do that. Leatherman has two small multi-tools that fill the bill.  I carry both.

Fire starting. Ferro rods and a serious sense of just what natural plants are flammable-critical. Research Mora Knives and Opinel Knives. 

And I will post no more on this topic.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

Understand your need. Rain gear.  After all my time, I just don't have a good plan.  I have various rain coats.  Currently REi coats, but an ideal rain coat should cover to mid thigh.  So you can sit down on a log in a torrent, and have your Gluteus Maximus covered. Even better would be a raincoat that allowed you to cover your knees to mid calf when sitting.  And I know of NO company which makes such a garment.

I don't know what you're looking for but there are ranch and riding outfitters that make rain proof dusters that cover your back and near full leg on or off a horse. I think they'd do what you want. I had an old oilcloth Jackaroo duster I wore for 20 years and kept rewaxing. I think you can still find them but I replaced it with a regular raincoat duster. These are a lot lighter and they pack up nicely when not needed.