Do you really enjoy Scouting?

Gee, thats a hard one, I mean with the blisters from the 20 mile hikes, the burned food from the new Scout Patrol weekend, the freezing nights during Klondike and the exasperations of guiding the PLC through the annual planning seminar, if I didnt rate it a solid 10, I'd be nuts!

I'm just crazy about this stuff

I'd have to give it a 10.

It's not always a perect 10.

But any experience that is worthwhile will have it's challenges, and even an outright failure from time to time.

I loved OGE's post on this topic, BTW.

Honestly, it seems that the kids in the Troop I serve do a better job with this Scouting thing than I did when I was a boy. I'm actually learning some things from them, which makes my overall experience that much richer.

I have to admit, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I'm my own harshest critic. I never give a 10 on anything. I believe Scouting, as designed, is about as close to a 10 as anything on this earth.

Now, as far as how much I enjoy it, there are days when I don't enjoy it as much (dealing with a disgrunted parent, trying to get the SPL to do his job, doing the paperwork for council, etc.). But overall, I'll give it a 9.5. Hey, I've got to leave some room for improvement, or I wouldn't have anything to look forward to. :)

A son who dragged his feet to Eagle until almost 18.

Another son who is doing the same.

Pretending to be a Committee Chair because the real CC won't run a meeting or deal with people.

Beuracratic B.S. at the Council office.

A Scout who is more likely to appeal to national concerning his Eagle application than not.

Being 13 - 18 hours over my "one hour a week"

Struggling to get people to cooperate on a timely basis for my ticket.

A wife who can't understand why I do this.

I'd give it a 4.

Having made better friends with about 15 young men during the last 10 years than I made with any of my buddies as a teenager.

Being as proud at an Eagle COH as the the parents of the new Eagle Scout.

Watching my sons learn how to run a meeting.

Seeing a Downs Syndrome Scout tell his dad " go back to your tent, dad, I'm having fun!"

Watching my WEBELOs Den march out of the room behind their new SPL.

Having reason to think that some small scintilla of my effort made a difference.

Make it a 12.

Mark

Let's see,

9.5, 7, 5, 8, 2, 7, 4, 9, 1, 1, 9.9, 9.8, 3, 8, 5, 9, 3, 9, 2, ...

There are peaks and valleys as I journey down this scouting trail with my sons. As with others, there are far more peaks than valleys, but when there are deep crossings to pass, there are always a scouting, helping hand to help me through (this Forum is included).

When there are down days in scouting (ie. dealing with parents and politics), there are always the snipets of good feelings such as during the scoutmaster conference, a scout says to you," By the way, I just want to you to know, you're the nicest and funniest man that I know!" He ends it with a smile. That, my friends, is where the 10 comes in! That's where the 1 Hour/a Week worths every cent.

YIS,

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I have to agree with what everyone is saying here about ups and downs. I'd had to give it a 1 or 2 when I'm trying to get my Lodge Cheif to do he job but it was well above 10+++ when that same boy was elected Section Cheif a few years later. And its not only the Scouting this that they do but to see them go off in life and do wonderful things with the skills that you may have helped to teach him. No that makes it all worth a 10

Aloha,

Ken

Count me in the "rollercoaster" crowd. There are times I love it and times I wonder what I've gotten myself into, especially lately. I started as a Tiger Den Leader last year after being away from scouting since high school. I had a great year though I certainly struggled at points. I got to work with my son and other boys in a setting where I felt I made a real difference. Definitely a personal high point.

This year has started out really well and my core group of boys have made me proud. I had pleasant visions of seeing them through to AOL and beyond. An even higher point.

Then came that really big first drop on the ride. Our current CM has been asked to resign for reasons I won't go into here. He is a great guy and has volunteered so much of his time and energy...but the committee has good reasons for their action. The committee has turned to me to be the new CM. The last few weeks have been one long stretch of stress as the committee tries to deal with the situation without losing a great Pack and I struggle with leaving my den to be CM.

My son cried when I told him I would still be at the den meetings but would no longer be his DL. Talk about a low point.

Now, maybe, the next rise is starting. One of the best parents in my den has stepped up to be the new DL. Our Pack is strong but I think I can help it be better -- I'm finally starting to look forward to taking on this role despite the circumstances. I've gotten votes of support from all the leaders in the Pack. So we seem to be climbing up again.

At last night's Den Meeting (they don't know what's happening with leadership changes yet) we made those goofy little catapault kits. For many of the boys, this was the most involved craft project they had ever taken on...and of course, being boys, they love the fact that it shoots stuff. At the end of the meeting, one of the boys grabbed my arm and said "Mr. Waterfield, you rock!" His big grin made me feel about 10 feet tall ... and killed me because I know at the next meeting I'll be telling them I won't be their DL anymore.

Is that the next hill ahead? Hold on!

Doug

(ok, so I overdid the metaphor....)

Watching the new scouts come in all excited about being a boy scout, going camping, playing with fire. 10+

Watching the new scouts on the first few campouts struggle with just about everything, and after a few campouts they can setup camp and cook a good meal. 10+

Watching the older scouts (2 or 3 years as a scout) think they know it all, and mess things up, but will not listen to anyone. 5

Watching the same scouts a year or 2 later, and how much they have grown and matured. 10++++++

Going to the above scouts Eagle Court of Honor and they thank you for coming. 10+++++

Adults and the saying this is the way we do it. -1

Watching new adults being driven away by the old guard -1

Hiking through Double H Ranch with my son and 9 other scouts, watching my son get stronger each day, and me getting weaker each day! 10

Trying to train new leaders coming in and there role on campouts. 1

Yes, you are just a chaffer, sit down have a cup of coffee.

I would rate it a 10 with the occassional sleep deprived 4-5.

The Scout beside me just said 9-10.

This is a quantative response though Eamonn.

The why is even harder to figure. I say because I feel that I am doing something that is as ancient as mankind - training young people to become good adults in their community. It is also lots of fun - often.

The Scout here says because we get to go camping a lot and we get to meet other people when we go camping.