The future of the BSA

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

I know locally that seems to be how they raise the money to keep the professionals being paid, you focus on the history and the nostalgic thoughts of the BSA.  No mention of current operations, more "Follow Me Boys" than actually what is happening.

Local council has 40%+ of the staff either directly or tangentially involved with fundraising.  The DE's, who are supposed to be building scouting locally, are primarily charged with leading FOS, popcorn sales, camp cards ..... oh and maybe if time building units in the area.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying but I think we agree. BSA is largely built around fundraising support, even to the local (council and unit) levels. It is not built around volunteer and unit support.  Even the local fundraising model is failing, but I'm not sure BSA is too focused on fixing it beyond trying to recruit membership. I think they are more concerned with overall survival -- the survival of the national Congressionally chartered entity -- and have priorities elsewhere. If you look at where the bulk of its money has been invested, it is in Summit. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Success comes from implementing a program that works toward a successful vision. The BSA lacks leadership that believes, much less understands the vision of developing moral and ethical decision maker

I am not sure that agreement can be presumed.  I am a lawyer, 40 years in practice and our council executive, pompously affecting "CEO" is paid twice what I earn. And so, fine.  BUT, the CEO manages h

It absolutely can.  I look at the UK Scouts Association... They have far more scouts per capital, were growing pre COVID (and have started to rebound), have a large waiting list of scouts and a transp

Posted Images

7 hours ago, yknot said:

I think we agree. BSA is largely built around fundraising support, even to the local (council and unit) levels. It is not built around volunteer and unit support. 

I think we can all agree that the BSA at every level needs to be able to pay its bills. That includes year round capital and program expenses including salaries and related costs. District professional staff do have to generate a part of that but there ought to be ample time spent on membership recruitment/retention, unit support and cultivation of district and council level volunteers. In my council in the last half dozen years we have gone from 7,000+ volunteers to less than 1,000. It is insane to think that with that kind of a loss that you can even maintain, let alone grow the program. There are a lot of problems/issues and no EZ or quick fixes. 

• Upvote 1

Scouting is on it's way out. Not anytime soon but the trends point to the end. National will die before most  LC's due to huge debt and little cash on hand. 

There will be many council mergers and more camps sold in the next few years. 

The best way to continue scouting is to eliminate National and have LC's vote on standards and rules. No National needed. Sell Summit and National offices.

• Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, Ojoman said:

District professional staff do have to generate a part of that but there ought to be ample time spent on membership recruitment/retention, unit support and cultivation of district and council level volunteers

Well, there "ought to be ample time" but in my council, the DE's contribute virtually nothing to program.

Does National even have a training program for DE's focused on "program?"

A "perfect mentality/world view" is fine, but it is not reality. I have chaired district level events for over 20 years.  Never has a DE provided a whit of inspiration, insight, help. A total disappointment.

I have come to the belief that DE's are not trained in any aspects of program whatsoever, AND, I truly wish you could direct me to the materials that do train DE's on program.  Philmont has loads training programs. Are any directed to DE's and how to put on program?

There is not even any "program planning" available for volunteers. In over 20 years, one would think I would have heard of some. Hello.

Issues like, scheduling, program themes, staffing, required staff certifications, food budgeting and management, supplies, safety issues, contingencies and backup plans, and so many things.

And I had to INVENT plans to deal with all these things.

BE PREPARED.  The principle is a religion. (It is simple, well, to me:  Caught "off-guard?" it is your fault. No excuses. You should NEVER be caught off-guard.)

It is a zero-defect standard. Who abides by a zero-defect standard?  Physicians, lawyers, engineers (buildings & bridges should not collapse), and some others.

"Professional" staff was of no help whatsoever.

And, so why do we need professional staff? And at such expense. All for what?

1 hour ago, Ojoman said:

I think we can all agree that the BSA at every level needs to be able to pay its bills. That includes year round capital and program expenses including salaries and related costs. District professional staff do have to generate a part of that but there ought to be ample time spent on membership recruitment/retention, unit support and cultivation of district and council level volunteers. In my council in the last half dozen years we have gone from 7,000+ volunteers to less than 1,000. It is insane to think that with that kind of a loss that you can even maintain, let alone grow the program. There are a lot of problems/issues and no EZ or quick fixes. 

There's a difference between competently managing an organization to maintain a healthy balance sheet while still  effectively delivering your product, and propping up institutionalized dysfunction when you can't deliver your product. Our product isn't fundraising. If the results of fundraising in a nonprofit aren't being applied mostly to the product -- the unit level program -- then something is wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

I have come to the belief that DE's are not trained in any aspects of program whatsoever, AND, I truly wish you could direct me to the materials that do train DE's on program.  Philmont has loads training programs. Are any directed to DE's and how to put on program?

Once upon a time, DEs were trained in program. Before my time, it was held at Schiff Scout reservation. When I was a DE, we had 3 months to complete Scoutmaster Fundamentals, Exploring Basic Leader Training, and Cub Scout Basic Leader Training in order to go to PDL-1. Also there was a 1 day mock "campout" where we went ot a camp and did some stuff there. Planning events was also part of the process.

But when I talked to a DE about training, it is mostly online now, I have no idea what it covered, but  I know it is inadequate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1