Troopmaster or TroopWebHost

In case anyone was looking at TroopTrack and turned off by the lack of filtering on the calendar subscription, the developer has reached out to me a couple of times now about that.  They're actively working on making that possible.  They in-app calendar has an ability to color code your events and if you color code them in the groups that you want to filter for, then you can great a subscription for just that color event.  
I've pointed out that typically an individual would want their feed to include "everyone" events as well as the subgroups they belong to.  But now that he's figured out how to filter by one attribute, I'm optimistic he'll be able to make that work for others as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before the advent of Scoutbook our troop used Troopmaster for many years and was extremely pleased with the data, the ease of operation, and the support available.  Now we sometimes rue the day Scoutb

Email seems to be back up fine... at least for us. As far as the calendaring goes, you can email the entire group with notices from a specific event. One thing to address is culture.  Most p

We have a calendar on our Troop website.  That calendar is public, and subscribes to the Troop calendar. You can see events there, but you cannot open an event without a Scoutbook log in. We

Looks like SOAR is not dead.

They just sent everyone an email earlier today saying that the number of customers saying that they didn't want it to go away was overwhelming. They loved the simplicity that SOAR offered as well as all the other features that the other options didn't fully offer, particularly for us vanity domain support and email groups tied to that domain.

The owner of SOAR is transferring ownership to a company called Meridian Computing that looks to have the tenure and bandwidth to serve us going forward. The owner will stay on as a consultant. It also helps that the people at Meridian Computing are not only SOAR customers but also Scouters themselves.

Looking forward to it all!

• Like 1

FYI ... message from Troop Track:

Hello Everyone,

This morning we released four new importers for customers transitioning from SOAR online. You can access them by going to Support -> SOAR Database Importers if you are a BSA Unit. Other units will not see this change. Once you use these importers, you will have all your members, events, and patrols/dens configured.

We will add more importers throughout the week.

We are investigating adding support for custom domains. Please take a moment and fill out this brief survey to help us understand how it will impact our users.

We went to Troopwebhost and I wanted to set up email aliases. It seems like we can only send out email through the website. So we can't send email to, say, plc@ourdomain.org. That's annoying. Or am I missing something?

I haven't tried it yet, but the TWH User Guide says you can: 

E-Mail Relay Addresses

You don't have to be logged on to your TroopWebHost site to send a message to members of your troop.

E-mail Relay Addresses can be used from any e-mail client to send messages to all active members of the troop, or to the members of any dynamic subgroup.

This feature can only be used by members of your troop, and only from e-mail accounts that are currently listed on their membership record. Moreover, the sender's e-mail account must pass DKIM authentication to allow the message to be relayed. These restrictions are essential to preventing these addresses from being used by spammers.

Also, please note that any email sent via email relay must contain a subject line. Messages sent with a blank subject line will fail.

There are two types of e-mail relays:

You can send a message to all active members of your troop by sending to an address that looks like this: Troop999YourCity@twh.email, in which Troop999YourCity is replaced by your site name. This capability is configured on the E-Mail Settings page.

You can send a message to the members of a dynamic subgroup using an address that looks like this: AAA.Troop999YourCity@twh.email, in which "AAA" is an Email Relay Address Prefix you've assigned to a dynamic subgroup. This capability is turned off by default, but can be configured on the Dynamic Subgroups page.

Do not distribute these e-mail relay addresses to people who are not members of your troop, as they will not work for anyone whose e-mail address is not associated with a troop member. So, for example, do not give these addresses to your BSA district office or to your charter organization, as they will not work for them.

Messages send via E-Mail Relay Addresses are not logged by TroopWebHost and will not be displayed in your In Box or in your My Sent E-Mail page.

Edited by cmd
3 hours ago, cmd said:

I haven't tried it yet, but the TWH User Guide says you can: 

E-Mail Relay Addresses

You don't have to be logged on to your TroopWebHost site to send a message to members of your troop.

E-mail Relay Addresses can be used from any e-mail client to send messages to all active members of the troop, or to the members of any dynamic subgroup.

This feature can only be used by members of your troop, and only from e-mail accounts that are currently listed on their membership record. Moreover, the sender's e-mail account must pass DKIM authentication to allow the message to be relayed. These restrictions are essential to preventing these addresses from being used by spammers.

Also, please note that any email sent via email relay must contain a subject line. Messages sent with a blank subject line will fail.

There are two types of e-mail relays:

You can send a message to all active members of your troop by sending to an address that looks like this: Troop999YourCity@twh.email, in which Troop999YourCity is replaced by your site name. This capability is configured on the E-Mail Settings page.

You can send a message to the members of a dynamic subgroup using an address that looks like this: AAA.Troop999YourCity@twh.email, in which "AAA" is an Email Relay Address Prefix you've assigned to a dynamic subgroup. This capability is turned off by default, but can be configured on the Dynamic Subgroups page.

Do not distribute these e-mail relay addresses to people who are not members of your troop, as they will not work for anyone whose e-mail address is not associated with a troop member. So, for example, do not give these addresses to your BSA district office or to your charter organization, as they will not work for them.

Messages send via E-Mail Relay Addresses are not logged by TroopWebHost and will not be displayed in your In Box or in your My Sent E-Mail page.

Well, that's half of what I'd prefer. I want to use our domain name and not twh.email.

But, thanks for the pointer.

We were hoping to use our domain, too, but as far as I could tell, that's something that none but SOAR offered. 

Troop Track posted a survey asking whether that was something there was demand for - and whether people would be willing to pay extra for it. It would likely be a strong selling point for us when deciding between things that cost roughly the same, but I don't think we'd be willing to increase our budget for it. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:18 PM, MattR said:

We went to Troopwebhost and I wanted to set up email aliases. It seems like we can only send out email through the website. So we can't send email to, say, plc@ourdomain.org. That's annoying. Or am I missing something?

That was a great SOAR feature.  Worked well.  Could send email to the SOAR troop URL and it re-routed as needed.