Veteran Scouter and new leader

Hello everyone. I am a veteran scouter myself, tiger cub to eagle scout. I got my eagle in 2009 and now I have 2 kids myself that are in the scouting program. I have been a leader for 2 years now and am currently a bear leader with my oldest. My wife is the lion leader with my youngest. I am a 4th generation scout and my children are 5th generation, my great grandpa worked with Lord Baden-Powell in England helping to get scouts started, and my grandpa was a scout under Lord Baden-Powell. I am very much enjoying keeping the scouting tradition going in my family, and I'm also enjoying being a leader and helping to show kids just how great scouts can be. I am excited to get all sorts of new ideas from this forum and try to be the best leader I can. I can say that the difference between being a scout and getting to enjoy the program, and being a leader and administering the program, is staggering. There has been quite a learning curve in becoming a leader, but I am excited to learn from everyone how they administer the program! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome, @Jadalexm

Despite the learning curve, it's lovely to pay the organizing forward. Our leaders organized for us, now we organize for our children's generation, passing the scouting torch down from generation to generation. 🙏

I'm only a second generation scout myself, my child is third. 

What has been your biggest challenge so far?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Welcome, @Jadalexm

Despite the learning curve, it's lovely to pay the organizing forward. Our leaders organized for us, now we organize for our children's generation, passing the scouting torch down from generation to generation. 🙏

I'm only a second generation scout myself, my child is third. 

What has been your biggest challenge so far?

The biggest challenge has been trying to figure out how to teach what I know in a way that children can absorb. Second biggest challenge is trying to get the young kids to listen and pay full attention. Even if they’re interested in what I’m saying they still seem to start vibrating with energy if they stay in one spot too long. Haha. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Jadalexm said:

…. Even if they’re interested in what I’m saying they still seem to start vibrating with energy if they stay in one spot too long. …. 

I suspect that sometime in the late 90s, your den leader made the same comment! You might want to give him/her a call. :)

• Upvote 1

Welcome @Jadalexm!

7 hours ago, Jadalexm said:

The biggest challenge has been trying to figure out how to teach what I know in a way that children can absorb.

You were a Scout from Tiger to Eagle. So, that's about what, a 12-year time span?  And I know you have learned a lot more since then...

But just looking at your Scouting years, ask yourself the question... "How long does it take to get 12 years worth of knowledge?"  Well, it takes about 12 years 😜

Be patient with yourself, as well as your Scouts!  You are going to have some meetings and activities where you will feel like you did not accomplish a great deal (if anything.)  That's OK.

One thing I found very helpful is to read a little about the psychology of the year groups you are dealing with, and find some articles on how that year group learns, interacts with others, and how they view themselves.

Here's an example: https://www.verywellfamily.com/9-year-old-developmental-milestones-620731

Particularly, in that article, see the section "How to Help Your 9-Year-Old Learn and Grow"

"Help your 9-year-old thrive by encouraging developmentally appropriate routines and activities. "Make sure your child spends at least an hour a day engaged in physical activities," says Dr. Poinsett."

I daresay (especially in this day and age) that most Bears are NOT getting an hour a day of physical activities.  So , when you get them, they are indeed restless and need to "get some wiggles" out.  Use that.  Playing a game of tag is learning! 

If you have space outside at your meeting place, get some traffic cones for a "driving course" an have them all bring their bicycles (and helmets) for a little rodeo. 

Take a walk to identify animals or plants. 

Play "Skin the Snake" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yTC8kAr2U&ab_channel=MPHSASB

Play Leap Frog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj0JBiknaPg&ab_channel=Howcast

Etc etc etc.

I recommend you not focus too much on the Advancement portions of the program.  Sure, work in one or two things per meeting, but focus more on having fun while learning.

Yours in Scouting

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

What an awsome and inspiring message, thank you. It sounds like you are right on track,  the only thing that I can offer as food for thought is have fun and don't take yourself too seriously.  Scout On and God bless.