How can we, the BSA, positively respond to the ongoing issue around Gun Control?

1 hour ago, ThenNow said:

Yes, Likewise, enough with "guns are evil, only law enforcement and military should have guns (but let's defund the police, reduce our military and ignore the facts evidencing blanket restrictions don't work while we're at it) and I will 'stand with' the families (while I stand on the bodies of their children to signal my virtue)" while it happens again. 

Yes, but... lets also recognize that facts are consistently cherry-picked to make a case for one extreme or the other.   As often attributed to Mark Twain  - “There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics.”  The 2nd Amendment and the Gun Control groups both use facts that support their position.  This creates a "line in the sand" about any willingness to work together to find a compromise.  And then nothing happens, until the next killing at another school and the cycle repeats.  

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The simple answer is that BSA needs to stay out of the gun control debate because BSA is a non-partisan, non-profit.   However, since you bring the topic up. There is no good gun legislation

Your points are well taken.  Switzerland.  Mexico.  etc.   I've hesitated responding because of extreme political intensity here.  IMHO, it's not a gun problem, but perhaps gun control could help

Gun control and the second amendment is a touchy subject for all, not just the BSA. The guns themselves are not the issue rather society as a whole. There is not enough attention put into me

Posted Images

Well, the current American "system" for "gun control" is to wait until some wacko, ambushes children, kill the wacko, and thereby, de facto, REVOKE THEIR FIREARMS LICENSE.

Works good:  one wacko, one revocation.  EXCEPT: Just costs 10 or 20 lives of innocents.

Children.

What greater sadness, than the murder or abuse of children?

My heart grieves for them all.

• Downvote 1

By the way, just took delivery of my M1A1 Abrams tank.

Headed to the bank which holds my car loan. Need to "reason" with them a bit.

And, I am gun owner. Quite a few-long guns and handguns.  I want to keep them.  Some inherited. Just keepsakes.

Happy to have a review of my mental stability to own them, (had to do that to be licensed as a lawyer), and happy to pass a proficiency test on my ability to manipulate (handle) and shoot them under control and hit something close to the target.  (I am a good shot.)

I don't have a concealed carry permit though allowed in my state. I am not rabid. I used to hunt pheasant with my dad, so many decades ago, now I target shoot once every several years, and I keep a pistol handy at home for defense.

No civilian needs weapons of war.  Period.

Civilians can't have A-10 Warthogs, nor laser-guided tank destroying missiles, nor quad-50 machine guns, nor....why should civilians be allowed to own an AR-15 which is designed for WAR?

Grenades.  An assembly of those would dress up the Thanksgiving table.

If the firearm is not legal for taking game, it should be banned from private ownership.  Limited to issue by the military and returned to the military upon completion of service.

• Downvote 4