We are planning a fishing derby with our scouts and I am looking for ideas to put on certificates so that each one of our scouts get their own award. We have about 15 scouts attending. Three will receive a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place medal. 

Scouts will have two hours to catch and many fish as they can. Bass and brim are stocked in pond we will be going to. 

What are your ideas to put on certificates? I'm short by 8 certificates.

• Upvote 1

The possibilities are endless:

• Prettiest Fish caught
  • Cutest fish caught
  • Slimiest Fish caught
  • Most fish dropped on the ground
  • Falling in the lake award
  • Dropping rod and reel in the lake award
  • Most hooks in your clothes award
  • Most worms/bait lost to fish 
  • Furthest cast
  • Shortest cast

• Haha 1

This is a really good idea. I'm not sure there is a more more pure outdoor adventure on this earth than fishing. One of the committee members of our pack suggested we do a fishing breakfast for Tiger age families thinking of joining scouts. So we set up a cook stove on the shore of a neighborhood pond and handed poles to dads and sons as they showed up that early cool fall Saturday  morning. There wasn't any order to how we were doing things, we were just making it up as we went along and handed plates of pancakes, coffee and orange juice to dads and sons between casting and baiting. Oh we talked about the program a little, but we found ourselves quietly standing back and enjoying the excited moments of most of these tigers first fishing trip with dad. I don't remember how many of those families joined in 1993, but I will never forget the smiles on the backdrop of the early morning sun.

There are some days you've just gotta love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Upvote 1

How about an award to scouts who can catch and remove invasive species?

If you check with your local parks department or fish & wildlife department, you might find that there are some surprising invasive species in your local lakes and streams.

Last year, our troop did a fishing activity as part of working on Nature merit badge. The park sent out an angling instructor who showed the boys pictures of the kinds of fish found in the lake we were fishing.  He also told the boys that fishermen had recently pulled out some tilapia and armored catfish --- neither of which are native to this region.  (And that if they caught those fish, they should definitely NOT "catch and release".) 

Given how common the problem of invasive species is these days, I wouldn't be surprised if your local waterways had a few of 'em too...

23 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

The possibilities are endless:

• Prettiest Fish caught
  • Cutest fish caught
  • Slimiest Fish caught
  • Most fish dropped on the ground
  • Falling in the lake award
  • Dropping rod and reel in the lake award
  • Most hooks in your clothes award
  • Most worms/bait lost to fish 
  • Furthest cast
  • Shortest cast

These are all awesome ideas. Thank you!

23 hours ago, Eagledad said:

This is a really good idea. I'm not sure there is a more more pure outdoor adventure on this earth than fishing. One of the committee members of our pack suggested we do a fishing breakfast for Tiger age families thinking of joining scouts. So we set up a cook stove on the shore of a neighborhood pond and handed poles to dads and sons as they showed up that early cool fall Saturday  morning. There wasn't any order to how we were doing things, we were just making it up as we went along and handed plates of pancakes, coffee and orange juice to dads and sons between casting and baiting. Oh we talked about the program a little, but we found ourselves quietly standing back and enjoying the excited moments of most of these tigers first fishing trip with dad. I don't remember how many of those families joined in 1993, but I will never forget the smiles on the backdrop of the early morning sun.

There are some days you've just gotta love this scouting stuff.

Barry

That is a great idea to do with our new lion and tiger families. We did a fishing trip last year with our pack letting our Cubs catch their fish and then we showed them how to clean and cook them. They loved it... I enjoyed seeing their excitement as they got to do the whole process of catching, cleaning, and cooking them. 

23 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

How about an award to scouts who can catch and remove invasive species?

If you check with your local parks department or fish & wildlife department, you might find that there are some surprising invasive species in your local lakes and streams.

Last year, our troop did a fishing activity as part of working on Nature merit badge. The park sent out an angling instructor who showed the boys pictures of the kinds of fish found in the lake we were fishing.  He also told the boys that fishermen had recently pulled out some tilapia and armored catfish --- neither of which are native to this region.  (And that if they caught those fish, they should definitely NOT "catch and release".) 

Given how common the problem of invasive species is these days, I wouldn't be surprised if your local waterways had a few of 'em too...

We will be fishing at our councils camp. They only stock bass, brim, and catfish.