Lost Our Pack Leader

So long story short we lost our Pack leader for medical reasons(he is living but indisposed) back in March. Another den leader, who’s wife is a GS leader, took a semi leadership position, basically ran our meetings and opened the church for all dens of the pack to meet at weekly. Without notice to the other Den leaders, he quit and our meetings were set to pick back up with school next week. 

I am the current Lion den leader and I haven’t been able to bridge my kids into Tigers because of our little pack falling apart, our webelos haven’t bridged to BS either. 

Im curious to know what we should do as a pack or den now that we’re out a meeting place and leader. I am in no position personally to take over, but I hate to see our pack fall apart. 

Edited by Jburts911

What have you heard from your Pack Committee Chair or Chartered Org. Rep?  They should be solving the replacement Cubmaster issue.

What is stopping your Lions from moving up to Tigers?  This is mostly automatic, although most packs have some kind of den moving up ceremony at the end of the school year.

Or the Webelos Scouts from moving on to a troop?  If they have earned Arrow of Light rank and are at least 10 years old, then all they need to do is turn in a transfer application to their troop.  They can also join a troop without AOL rank if they are age 11 or if they have completed the 5th grade.

Who handled internet advancement for your pack? They should have completed advancement of the kids in June or earlier. You'll need to find someone who has access to your online advancement records. If you're having trouble finding that person, contact your unit commissioner or district executive, and if you don't know who that is, call your council office for help.

As for the Tigers, just start working on stuff and don't worry about whether their records are updated or not. You can catch up with the paperwork later, just keep the program moving along.

Edited by sierracharliescouter

The people who are registered as the unit's Key 3 (Cubmaster, Pack Committee Chair, and Chartered Org. Rep.) should all have access to the new Internet Advancement (IA).  And they can also designate other registered leaders in the unit as Key 3 Delegates or a Unit Advancement Chair, which would also give those leaders access to IA.

On 8/5/2019 at 5:39 PM, Jburts911 said:

So long story short we lost our Pack leader for medical reasons(he is living but indisposed) back in March. Another den leader, who’s wife is a GS leader, took a semi leadership position, basically ran our meetings and opened the church for all dens of the pack to meet at weekly. Without notice to the other Den leaders, he quit and our meetings were set to pick back up with school next week. 

I am the current Lion den leader and I haven’t been able to bridge my kids into Tigers because of our little pack falling apart, our webelos haven’t bridged to BS either. 

Im curious to know what we should do as a pack or den now that we’re out a meeting place and leader. I am in no position personally to take over, but I hate to see our pack fall apart. 

Well, the Webelos going to Boy Scouts is a Boy Scout issue. Has the troop not contacted y'all?  

1 hour ago, perdidochas said:

Well, the Webelos going to Boy Scouts is a Boy Scout issue. Has the troop not contacted y'all?  

I was thinking the same thing- why has the troop not asked any questions??? Technically, once those kids earned AOL, they were no longer Cub scouts, and if they haven't completed an app for a troop, then they are not even actually "in scouts" at the moment.  Yikes!

@Jburts911 "Crossover" or "bridging" is a celebration of recognition, it is not a formality of when a kid moves from one program to another.  If the kids in your Den have met the age requirements to be Tigers, then they are Tigers and you should go ahead and administer the Tiger program as you are able.

3 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

I was thinking the same thing- why has the troop not asked any questions??? Technically, once those kids earned AOL, they were no longer Cub scouts, and if they haven't completed an app for a troop, then they are not even actually "in scouts" at the moment.  Yikes!

@Jburts911 "Crossover" or "bridging" is a celebration of recognition, it is not a formality of when a kid moves from one program to another.  If the kids in your Den have met the age requirements to be Tigers, then they are Tigers and you should go ahead and administer the Tiger program as you are able.

Earning Arrow of Light rank and crossing over to a troop are two separate things.  Technically, the Scout is still a Cub Scout until joining a troop or being dropped at recharter time.  The vast majority crossover to a troop as soon as they earn AOL rank and are at least 10 years old, but they have the option to stay with the pack after earning AOL rank.  I don't know why they would, but maybe they want to stay with their buddies in their den and cross over together or maybe there are some Cub Scout awards that they want to finish up (for example: the Supernova award for Webelos Scouts).  At any rate, when they are ready, the Scout's family turns in the youth application to the troop, and that's it - the pack isn't really involved except for getting the Scout's awards and rank advancements put in.

3 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Earning Arrow of Light rank and crossing over to a troop are two separate things.  Technically, the Scout is still a Cub Scout until joining a troop or being dropped at recharter time.  The vast majority crossover to a troop as soon as they earn AOL rank and are at least 10 years old, but they have the option to stay with the pack after earning AOL rank.  I don't know why they would, but maybe they want to stay with their buddies in their den and cross over together or maybe there are some Cub Scout awards that they want to finish up (for example: the Supernova award for Webelos Scouts).  At any rate, when they are ready, the Scout's family turns in the youth application to the troop, and that's it - the pack isn't really involved except for getting the Scout's awards and rank advancements put in.

I have never experienced any Pack that didn't award AOL as a group, nor keep doing pack activities after the AOL was complete (maybe for a couple of weeks, until the Blue & Gold).  My bigger point is we are hitting towards mid-August, and those kids have now missed out on a summer camp opportunity, and likely a whole lot more that a troop could offer.

Since we crossed our boys over by birthday, we had no need to award the AofL as a group; rather, each boy received it whenever he earned it, whether it was six months into the program or a week before he turned 11. Since we worked on most adventures as a group, it wasn't unheard of for a few boys to earn it at the same time, but just as often we'd have a few Arrows awarded throughout the years along with intermittent crossings-over. The school year never had any influence on our awards programming though, and if a boy earned the AofL early enough, he would usually proceed to earn a bunch of electives and other awards (World Conservation Award, Outdoor Activity Award pins, et cetera).

• Like 1