What are your scouts responsibilities to drivers and their vehicles? From the World Jamboree Thread:

3 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Ah, the standard Wednesday summer camp question:  "Have you showered or changed clothes yet this week?"; followed by the Friday night declaration:  "Anyone who expects to get in my car tomorrow MUST shower tonight!" ....

... and, concurring:

1 hour ago, Eagledad said:

Yes, we live and learn. One ASM traded for a new car after summer camp because he could not get the smell out.......Coincidentally, we started renting vans the next year.:o ...

I learned from mostly from band, rather than scouts, that riders can make a driver's time pleasurable by:

• Stepping out of muddy boots before entering,
  • Putting your towel on your seat,
  • Collecting litter just like the airplane stewards do,
  • Riding shotgun and talking about life, the universe, ...
  • Navigating,
  • At the truck stop, giving a buddy your lunch money and your order while you clean windows and mirrors,
  • Checking tires/oil/coolant/lights,
  • Tuning the radio (especially if the current station goes to commercial for more than 5 seconds),
  • Sharing your playlist (well, maybe that's just me, but I talk music and lyric analysis like nobody's business)

Do you coach your patrols as to how to treat your troop's drivers? What courtesy tips do you give them?

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I learned from mostly from band, rather than scouts, that riders can make a driver's time pleasurable by:

• Navigating,
  • At the truck stop, giving a buddy your lunch money and your order while you clean windows and mirrors,
  • Tuning the radio (especially if the current station goes to commercial for more than 5 seconds),
  • Sharing your playlist (well, maybe that's just me, but I talk music and lyric analysis like nobody's business)

Do you coach your patrols as to how to treat your troop's drivers? What courtesy tips do you give them?

Good list. I'm not sure how our scouts learned courtesy during trips. But, I know that generally abuse came from younger scouts. Problems disappeared with troop age maturity. Same goes for wearing the uniform during travel, older scouts had no trouble, it's always the 12 and 13 year olds in their self-identity years who complained.

Barry

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, qwazse said:

What are your scouts responsibilities to drivers and their vehicles? From the World Jamboree Thread:

... and, concurring:

• Navigating,

Basically, we tell scouts to follow whatever rules a driver might establish for his riders:  His car, his rules.

We do, though, have 2 points that keep coming up:
- only drink clear-colored liquids in the car (no stains)
- if using personal electronics, use headphones or mute volume 

On a side note, I refer to my car as the Polka car. I state quite loudly that polka music will be available. And I do play it loud and proud with windows down as I'm driving up to pick up scouts. I might even play it for a minute as we're leaving the parking lot. Then I turn off the music and inform the oldest scout in the group that he is now in charge of the radio. What would he like to listen to? With the provision that it can not be a bunch of filthy words strung together as a lyric because it doesn't reflect well on us if someone sees/hears us jamming to it. 

If any scout makes a mess, they have to clean it before they can do fun stuff. 

No one is allowed to leave food/drink in the car after we arrive where we're going. 

I also lay out an old tarp on the floor before we head out. Including one for myself. 

And if possible, after returning home before the end of the day, go clean the car. 

(another side note: I have no sense of smell. So that benefits me on trips when others are left gasping. But it isn't helpful in recognizing when someone really has an issue beyond the normal.)

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Buggie said:

On a side note, I refer to my car as the Polka car. I state quite loudly that polka music will be available. And I do play it loud and proud with windows down as I'm driving up to pick up scouts. I might even play it for a minute as we're leaving the parking lot. Then I turn off the music and inform the oldest scout in the group that he is now in charge of the radio. What would he like to listen to? With the provision that it can not be a bunch of filthy words strung together as a lyric because it doesn't reflect well on us if someone sees/hears us jamming to it. 

We had a parent who played nothing but Grateful Dead music on a long trip.  When we all met up at a rest stop the scouts in is car were desperately trying to change cars.  

• Haha 1