Merit Badge Workshops and Universities

42 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Point being, that , back then,  A Scout had to WANT the Merit Badge.  There were no "Merit Badge Days", no MBColleges.  The MBCounselors were few and far between.  If " A Scout Is Trustworthy", and the requirements for the MB are held to the standard, I have no problem with that.   The previous story about the Leather Working MB is, I fear, typical.   

The two biggest shocks when I became a scout leader were MB Colleges and female bathrooms at the camp I attended when I was a scout. Summer camps, even when I was a scout, made earning MBs easier than at home. How could they not. But, troops back when I was a kid took responsibility for advancement and didn't leave summer to do most of the advancement program. That is the problem I see today. And it is getting worse because the majority of adults joining today don't have a youth experience to base their approach to leading a troop. As more scouts experience bad programs, they will also lead those same programs when they become adults. Patrol Method as was intended by the pioneers of scouting will only be a shell of the traditional patrol method. Name only. 

Barry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Several years ago, I sat in the leatherwork merit badge class at summer camp (as a Scouter).   I had recently started leatherworking myself and wanted to see what they were teaching.  The counselor wa

This is an issue in our troop.  We have a number of scouts that have been attending a monthly program where about 15 MBs are offered in morning & afternoon 3 hour sessions.  Every one of the MBs t

Welcome to the forums! To the first question: it depends. To the second question: it depends. No MBU is identical to another. If the objective of self-reliance is undermined, you are correct

12 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

The two biggest shocks when I became a scout leader were MB Colleges and female bathrooms at the camp I attended when I was a scout. 

I grew up in the era of pit latrines at scout camp.

I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that scout camps actually devolved to flush toilets!

23 hours ago, mashmaster said:

With my ship, when we do our high adventure trips, the girls are much more comfortable to doing their business in the back country than the boys.  One would think that would be the opposite based on social stereotypes.

Yes. This is my experience too. I have my suspicions as to why, but nothing close to definitive.