Sign in to follow this  
RememberSchiff

Outside Mag: Lost Legend of the Girl Rangers

... For months, the Girl Rangers operated as a kind of shadow Explorer troop, neither Boy Scouts nor Girl Scouts. Then, in April 1971, the national BSA Explorers officially went coed. The South Carolina Girl Rangers registered as an official Explorer post and became the first all-female troop in the nation. There were still caveats—they couldn’t become Eagle Scouts, which meant there were dozens of BSA merit badges they couldn’t officially earn. But it was a start. ...

• Upvote 1

" 'It affected my life in an amazing way,' says Missy Johnston Smith, now a schoolteacher in Charlotte, North Carolina. 'I wasn’t a girly girl. Rangers gave me an outlet for who I really was. We didn’t yell about how great we were—we just went out there and did it. It made me tougher and more determined, which are not bad traits to have.'"

Correct it is not a new concept.  I was advisor for a coed Explorer post in the early 80's.  We were chartered as High Adventure.  It was what would now be Ventures I suppose.  This was before YPT etc, but we did need a female over 21 for outings if the girls wanted to attend.  That was an ongoing challenge.  This was before I got married (actually getting married was not a help to my camping efforts) and I burned through some girlfriends when I asked them to go camping with us.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1