Patrol Method/System Resources

2 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Most of the “games” require supplies we don’t have. Also for some want you to plan a camp out for a certain week, which we can’t just do always. It is more logistics and planning. I like to go more in depth with topics than how they describe it.

I have my Troop spend about a month and a 1/2 on First Aid. I want them to know it, as it is in my opinion one of the most important things one need to know. The meeting plan does not outline all the things that one needs to know, if they do, it’s only for a brief second.

Remember, every Troop is different.

I am sure we are NOT talking about the same book. The SPL Handbook doesn't talk about games, program themes, or activity details. The only meeting guide is the PLC Meeting guide, which as I pointed out, is four lines in the book and nothing to do with Troop Meetings. It is a guide for the SPLs responsibilities, not troop activities. It's probably 40 pages and designed to fit in the pant pocket. Between using the PLs Handbook and the SPL Handbook, most groups of boys could organize the general operations of their troop. Neither books are activities specific guides.

Barry

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone ever asks you what it takes to be a good Patrol Leader, you should show them this page from Green Bar Bill's 1929 Handbook for Patrol Leaders.  

Ok, boys and girls...Here's Part 2 of Green Bar Bill's "Patrol Ideas" for your viewing pleasure.  Good Scouting to you! Patrol_Ideas_by_Green_Bar_Bill_pt2.pdf

I thought it might be a good idea to post some resources on here that might help us inform our fellow Scouters how best to let the Patrol Method/System run rather than trying to run the Patrol Method/

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I am sure we are NOT talking about the same book. The SPL Handbook doesn't talk about games, program themes, or activity details. The only meeting guide is the PLC Meeting guide, which as I pointed out, is four lines in the book and nothing to do with Troop Meetings. It is a guide for the SPLs responsibilities, not troop activities. It's probably 40 pages and designed to fit in the pant pocket. Between using the PLs Handbook and the SPL Handbook, most groups of boys could organize the general operations of their troop. Neither books are activities specific guides.

Barry

I thought you had meant the meeting guide, my sincere apologies.

I am really sorry if I came off as defensive or rude. When I read my own post again, it seemed like I was trying to be rude, which was not my intent. (Text can be interpreted in so many ways)

I don’t believe that I have ever heard/saw a SPL guidebook, is there a online version?

Edited by ItsBrian
18 hours ago, ItsBrian said:

I thought you had meant the meeting guide, my sincere apologies.

I am really sorry if I came off as defensive or rude. When I read my own post again, it seemed like I was trying to be rude, which was not my intent. (Text can be interpreted in so many ways)

I don’t believe that I have ever heard/saw a SPL guidebook, is there a online version?

I've never seen one on line and the BSA may have come out with a new one since the one our troop used thru 2005. But, I really believe that if the SM and the PLC worked together building their program from the SPL and PL, they will have a solid foundation for a patrol method program. In fact, I suggested the participants of my SM Specific class bring the SPL Handbook, so I could show them how much of the SM Handbook is in that book. Rare is the person who has read the whole gazillion pages of the SM Handbook. But SPL Handbook was written at the 12 year old level and can be read cover to cover in 45 minutes. These handbooks aren't full instructional guides to building a full program, but if used correctly, they simplify the basic of the program so that scouts can run the troop with less interference from the adults. My wife doesn't know this, but  I bought and handed out dozens of copies of the SPL and PL Handbook  to new Scoutmasters to give them a jump start toward a simple boy run patrol method program.  

Barry

• Like 1

The BSA updated and reprinted the SPL Handbook and the PL Handbook in 2017.  The Troop Program Features have been replaced by Program Features for Troops, Teams, and Crews: A Guide to Program Planning (volumes 1-3).

Most of the information in the new books is available for free at:

http://troopleader.org/

http://www.programresources.org/

Here is a link to a suggested generic PLC Meeting Agenda.

All of these are suggestions for troops - modify them however you like or as needed to fit what your troop wants / needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

AIDS to SCOUTMASTERSHIP - original 1920 pamphlet.  Can use zoom to easily read it even with my old eyes.  Can be printed.

https://issuu.com/scoutingireland/docs/aidstoscoutmaster

"SCOUTING IS A GAME for boys, under the leadership of boys, in which elder brothers can give their younger brothers healthy environment and encourage them to healthy activities such as will help them to develop CITIZENSHIP [emphasis in original].” 

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/22/2018 at 11:28 AM, ItsBrian said:

As I said before, I have used the book and did not benefit a small troop like mine.

If you have one patrol, you don't have a troop, except to the bureaucrats; you have a patrol.  The Patrol Leader plans the program in a meeting with the patrol.

Only two patrols?  A less formal get together with the two PLs, the SPL, and their coach, still needs an agenda, someone (SPL) to lead the discussion and a record keeper.  There are useful videos found via Google that give examples.

Edited by TAHAWK
On 1/22/2018 at 3:26 PM, ItsBrian said:

Most of the “games” require supplies we don’t have. Also for some want you to plan a camp out for a certain week, which we can’t just do always. It is more logistics and planning. I like to go more in depth with topics than how they describe it.

I have my Troop spend about a month and a 1/2 on First Aid. I want them to know it, as it is in my opinion one of the most important things one need to know. The meeting plan does not outline all the things that one needs to know, if they do, it’s only for a brief second.

Remember, every Troop is different.

Google boy scout game and pick from 61,300,000 choices as of tonight.  Add other terms to narrow choices such as ball or inside

As a JASM, you could develop an expertise in games to coach the leaders (youth).

Edited by TAHAWK
On 3/14/2019 at 10:07 PM, TAHAWK said:

Google boy scout game and pick from 61,300,000 choices as of tonight.  Add other terms to narrow choices such as ball or inside

As a JASM, you could develop an expertise in games to coach the leaders (youth).

Haha, that post was over a year ago. I sure have learned a lot since then. Thanks for the tips though!

Edited by ItsBrian