Splitting the den.

Hi.

Is there a suggested correct way to split a den? Our wolf den had 13 kids and our den leader chose who to put in each group, based on who were "friends". When I suggested that he re-divide the den randomly (by picking names out of a hat), his first response was to inform me of hurdles (don't want to separate twins), I proffered a solution (put both of those names on a single slip of paper). He rejected my "solution" because he doesn't see a problem with what he has done. He also said it was "too late" when we haven't even split into the new groups yet. At this point, I would not be very happy if my son ended up with this leader because of this ordeal. Is he violating some code of conduct?

Should I continue to pursue this? People have been warning me to drop this because they are afraid that my son will bear the retribution; that he will suffer.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

I would deal with it as I do with my Boy Scout troop.  We need two dens, put all the boys in a room by themselves and have them divide themselves equally into two groups.

This way if someone is going to get flack, it ain't gonna be any adult.  It's remarkable how little drama a scout leader gets when there isn't any reason to blame them.  :)

• Upvote 1

Do you have two strong den leaders? You may be better with a larger den under one good leader than 2 dens with one weak leader. We used to always split larger dens but we found the group that gets stuck with the weaker leader has higher attrition. We now have a den of 24 Tigers with four dens leaders. One is a great leader and the other three help with the breakout groups.

• Upvote 1

Or.... have 3 groups each lead by the weaker leaders and the 4th leader mentoring them so that the program as a whole gets help.  Otherwise one is destining the smaller group to fail even faster.

• Upvote 1

When I was a Den Leader I eventually ended up with a Den of 15 boys at one point. I thought about splitting the den but realized that there was no way to do it without making someone upset. I told the parents that if we didn't split the den then I would need them to step up and help out at den meetings.

• Upvote 1