Religious groups and individual beliefs

God doesn't have a "name" he has a label. 

God is the label, Lord is his title, but there is no "name".

There is a great disconnect between the Greco-Roman use of the word and the Hebraic use.  We "Gentiles" read into it a different definition of "name" than the Hebrews do.

Oh, I remember now! LORD, printed in all caps, in English Bible translations signified when the Hebrew YHWH was used.

For being a label, @@Stosh, it sure came with severe penalties for misuse ... as if someone important would take it personal. :dry:

@@MattR, thanks for the background. I knew about the rope around the high priest. Didn't know it was associated with uttering YHWH out loud.  It would have been nice to know what knot they used!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No doubt it was the bowline:  The rabbi comes out of the hole, goes around the tree...   Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Have you heard about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac Scouter?                   Poor fellow was awake all night wondering if there is a Dog?

Wow,  I forgot to check back on my earlier entry and couldn't find it.  Whoopee, I have never started a thread before!   I guess this answers my question.   Jim