BSA Program Planning web article jumps the rails

22 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

@Eagledad What kinds of themes does your troop typically come up with?  Are they activity based (backpacking, climbing, canoeing, etc.) or something else (Scout Law, holidays)?

Mostly the adventure outdoor themes including rappelling, shooting sports and water sports. The PLC once did a space theme where they did some pretty cool physics and space ship stuff. That was 20 years ago, so I dont remember specifics. But I was super impressed because the Scouts did it all, research and activities. We also did a few troop night camporees and a Trooporee with 3 other troops. Those are a lot of work for a boy run program because the boys are in-charge with adults assisting. 

Be creative and bring ideas to the table. As I said, we included adult suggestions to push out the envelope of fun ideas. 

Also, merit badges can give ideas. The PLC planned an auto mechanics theme one year. The boys are to young to drive, but they all like cars. They found enough classic car owners to have a classic car show at one meeting. 

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...but not bubble ball. Go figure.

Right on topic: inconsistent messages.   The "large sheath knives" language went away from G2Ss in 2015 and the Handbook in 2016 - but remains in the Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders sylla

Scouting, by deliberate choice, has always selected affirmative guidance over "thou shalt not."   If you are told that the SPL runs the PLC and you have someone else do it, would a rule "Someone oth