New Adventure Program - Tigers

Ok.  The new Adventure Program is eight months old.  During our District Training on the new program, we were told that it was a more robust program and we would have to make sure we planned ahead or we might not be able to finish and get rank.  We were told it would take about two Den meetings to complete an Adventure.  Our Tiger Den has nine scouts two of which started in late October and November.  The Tigers did not start meeting until the second week of September.  I was just told by my advancement chair that we have several Tigers that have already earned 13 Adventure Loops some with 9 and the new boys only three months in have 4 and six.  The Scout Store told her it was impossible to have earned that many in such a short time. 

I have checked with the other Dens and they are all on the same pace with each scout earning only 5 to 6 adventures so far. Seems like they will be finishing up about the same time they did with the old program.   I am no sure if there is some pencil whipping going on or what.  Do any other of you have any input on the new program and how many are they really earning?  We had problems in the past with scouts coming to a Pack Meeting earning 10 belt loops.  I don't want this to turn in to a "Bling" contest.

I am the Cubmaster and have done several Den visits with each Den.  Most Dens meet two times a month and each meeting lasts and hour to 90 minutes.  I have sat in on two Tiger Meetings that lasted almost an hour.  Nothing special, typical meeting with about two to three things covered.  No Physical activity and no Den Agenda to reflect back on what was covered.  Not sure how to gauge this new program.

Can't speak to the program itself. But from time to time at every level of scouting we come across leaders who seem a little generous with bling.

Some dens are exceptional. It's not that any given meeting is particularly efficient. The boys have so much fun and the parents enjoy each other enough that they commit an extra evening or parts of every weekend to make it happen. (That was very much Son #1s experience.)

The only way you'll know if this is the case is via discrete conversations with parents and Cubs. You should already be doing this because based on your other threads you'd like a new Wolf DL.

As far as doing anything about what's already awarded, that's probably water over the dam.

My youngest son's den is having some issues with leadership. When I move to Boy Scouts, I was hoping they would find a DL to replace me. It took longer than they anticipates, and he would a weird schedule where he can make meetings every other week. they have earned no belt loops at this time, but have done a ton of requirements across the spectrum of belt loops.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Roundtable Commissioner and we are going to have an end-of-the-year recap of the new program.  I'm curious how other units are doing. 

For my Pack, I think whether boys can complete adventures depends heavily on whether they attend our scheduled Pack Overnighters.  With all of the hiking, cooking, camping requirements, if they aren't attending those events (and their family doesn't camp), then I think it would be unlikly to have completed the required adventures already.

Some of the ranks don't have a lot of outings, to is is possible that they could be done if they completed the requirements I mention above.  I'm working with a Bear Den right now (no qualified Den Leader... the one who would be great can't because of a previous criminal conviction), and we've completed parts of several adventures, but, due to absences and outings we have yet to do, many of the boys haven't completed all of the requirements for those adventures.  I think I'm going to send out a status report for each boy and hope the parents finish some of this at home.

Our Pack is very lucky in the fact that the boys participated in the fall fundraiser and we are able to have many outings to include a fall and Spring Family Campout.  The only problem with this is that the Tiger Den were told not to show up to the Fall Campout until noon because he Den Leader had to go with her son to have baseball pictures.  They really didn't get anything accomplished.  I am finding out now that there might be some "Pencil Whipping" going on.  They just applied for the Healthy Unit Award and when asked by the Advancement Chair if they had completed the checklist (3 den meetings with fruits and veggies served, 6 den meetings with water served and 9 meetings with 15 minutes of physical activity) they had no knowledge of it but wanted the patches.  Come to find out, they haven't even had 9 Den meetings yet.  A few eyebrows were raised at the Pack Committee Meeting.  I would be interested to see how other Packs are doing with the new program.

Hi Ranman,

I'm a new Den Leader, new to scouting, and my sons are as well. I can't speak for the whole pack, just my own experience with the Tigers.

We are a little behind, but I think that's because my boys and I joined late, and because I really didn't understand the requirements. So, we wasted some time before I was onboard and up to speed. That said, I think we are doing well now, and unless the cubmaster springs some other events on me that use up a den meeting, we should meet all the requirements and advance everyone by the end of our pack's year. We are making progress and the boys are having fun! And without any pencil whipping... So far. But if I lose any more den meetings to wether or other events... Well. Drastic measures may be needed, LOL.

Kidding aside, I like the program, despite the challenges I've had. My wife and I were the only parents to step up, and the pack is transitioning, so our questions don't always get quick, clear answers. The biggest help has been the den leaders guide. Once my wife and I sat down with that and got our bearings, we were able to map out the rest of our year pretty quickly. We've had to make a few adjustments based on seasons, and pack events we didn't know about. But the guide makes it very easy to plan and deliver.

On the downside... We've lost about half of the den since I started. I'm not sure why, I haven't been able to get any parents to respond to me by phone or email. I'm hoping it's not the program changes, or worse, me! But I really don't know.

So, from a fresh set of eyes, with no nostalgia about 'the good old days', I can say I like the program, and the remaining tigers and adult partners I have seem to as well.

On the other hand, I have nothing to compare it to, am not getting much oversight, and have lost half the scouts, so it's very possible I don't even know what I don't know.

Not sure how useful that is, but feel free to ask if you want more details about our experience so far!

.... On the other hand, I have nothing to compare it to, am not getting much oversight, and have lost half the scouts, so it's very possible I don't even know what I don't know. ...

This is where you just run it up the chain. Give your cubmaster a call (better yet, meet for coffee) explaining you made a good faith effort to contact certain parents, but no response. Tell him the boys left in your den are having fun, but you'd welcome his help following-up on the "lost parents" and any feedback they may have. That way, you and the Mrs. can then turn your attention to the kids still in the program, and maximize their fun.

Like Ranman's story shows, us seasoned scouters are often willing to help, but unless the wheel squeaks, we just keep peddling!

• Upvote 1

I agree with qwazse. Get in contact with your Cubmaster or Asst. Cubmaster if you have one. They should be talking to each Den Leader each month at Committee Meetings anyway about how they are doing and if they need any help. I try to do Den visits with each Den three times a year. These help to get a feel for how the Den is run and gives the Cubmaster a chance to talk to parents. Maybe get them spun up to help more. Welcome to Scouting and Thank you for stepping up to be a Leader in Scouts. This is a great area for ideas and help from seasoned scouters.

• Upvote 1

I'll keep pestering the cubmaster and other leaders to be sure... They are all experienced and have been very helpful. But the old cubmaster is moving on now that his son had transitioned to Boy Scouts. The new cubmaster is settling in, but has his hands full with our winter challenge, Blue &Gold, and all the rest of his new duties. After this weekend I should be able to get together with him.

In the meantime, both are aware of the drop outs and have my plan/agenda for completing all the remaining adventures.

I think I'm in good shape, I just want to make sure none of the scouts fall through the cracks.

Tomorrow night's meeting... Cyber Chip Jeopardy!

My AoL boys crossed over last week as planned without any problems.

My Webelos den has two adventures left. they have done parts of two but are waiting until the weather is nicer to hike and collect

rocks.

My bears should be able to finish up on time (mid May). I had a long planning session with the den leader today to get everything mapped out and keep them on track.

Wolves are almost done.

My tigers I am actually worried about all of them completing.

I asked my den leaders to report at our next committee meeting what they had left to complete and their plan for accomplishing it.

I have been disappointed in the new tiger program. I dislike the lack of go see its. I think those adventures excited the boys.

it is interesting in that all the packs operate differently under different levels of expectation.  I have 34 potential new Webelos II boys getting ready to transition into Boy Scouts in my area.  3 different packs..... 1 pack has a monthly pack meeting and a monthly activity, and NO DEN meetings of any sort.  I am working on getting these boys their AOL which they wouldn't be getting otherwise because all the other awards were earned by the boy and parent on their own.  The second pack has a totally disorganized WDL and is a bit burned out and when we announced the AOL program in the troop, she abdicated immediately.  The third pack is running smoothly with a very good WDL and he will join our AOL program if what we have scheduled for the evening is something his boys haven't already done.

I think it just boils down to the quality and determination of the individual DL's to see to it that they provide the program as best they can.  With this year being the premier of the new program, it's going to take a bit to get everything re-organized because it's "not what they did last year".  Don't be fooled by the PR from national on this.  It is going to take a bit of focus on the pack and DL's part to work the newbie kinks out of the process.