Lots of examples of boys with hats inside : http://www.inquiry.net/uniforms/hats/inside.htm

Even as far as removing it outside, there is regional variation.

When watching a parade, in some parts, the hat comes off of men's heads as the lead color guard passes. I always demonstrated that to the boys.

I've observed that the rule is enforced more stringently (with sergeants-at-arms going ahead through the crowd reminding them of the protocol) in the Southeast US. (Maybe more in small towns vs. cities?)

In the area where we are, all flag color guards are ushered to the front of the parade.  All mlitary units (reserves, ROTC, etc.) first, then patriotic organizations second (Scouts, Auxillaries, military fraternities, etc.) , then the parade itself.  People stand, do their thing at the beginning of the parade then sit and enjoy the rest.  School bands have pretty much dropped their color guard and go with a 2 person banner instead.

LOL...so in your example the military rules would serve them well: ;)

• Dining Hall is indoors, take off hat. Get to keep hat.
  • Outside, wear hat. Get to keep hat.
  • Worn properly (bill in front), get to keep hat. 
  • Worn improperly (bill any way but forward) lose hat and learn the rule.

I find it funny that the leading purveyor of the Patrol Method and letting kids do all the work while adults watch and guide, is on the side of "it's really difficult to expect them to know what's going". :)

A wise man once said (paraphrasing), Teach them. Let them lead.

So teach them the current military cover rules and let them use it. Imagine the look on any adult's face when an 11 year-old takes his cover off like a snap upon entering any building on camp. ;)

Again, Scouts is not the military, so they do not wear covers they wear hats. So military rules on covers have no bearing, and if they did what eras rules should we follow. In the 90's Marines were not allowed to wear a cover anywhere indoors (unless under arms) now the rules are different.

*Wanted to add this http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/hat-etiquette/. Sure you could use this but the list of rules is frankly silly.

Edited by Renax127

Again, Scouts is not the military, so they do not wear covers they wear hats. So military rules on covers have no bearing, and if they did what eras rules should we follow. In the 90's Marines were not allowed to wear a cover anywhere indoors (unless under arms) now the rules are different.

*Wanted to add this http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/hat-etiquette/. Sure you could use this but the list of rules is frankly silly.

I am aware scouts is not the military. But 1) Scouts takes much of its attire, policies and procedures from the military, 2) BSA has no standard rule on wearing covers (hats) and their protocol, 3 ) lacking #2 it is perfectly reasonable to apply a military example (because it is simple and easy to implement) for a unit. That was my point.

Edited by Krampus

you know, this military connection is interesting to me.

I understand why they didn't/don't want scouting to be associated with military.  I'm totally on board with that.

but come on!  It's only natural!

What do most folks think of first when asked to name a uniformed organization?

What was Baden-Powell's background?

what was the foundation or purpose of his first book that sparked it all?

Do we have "ranks" in the corporate world?  In school?

and finally, what are the uniforms styled similar to?  (hint, it ain't a catholic school uniform  ;) )

• Upvote 1

You missed one BLW2 - "Scout" is a military term for a "patrol" of soldiers who go out beyond the limits of the established main "troop" to "live off the land and their wits" separate from the main force.  Their skills are map/compass, knots, shelter, camping, cooking, etc. those things that would be necessary for a small band of soldiers to be able to do for themselves away from the main force.

Nope, scouting ain't the military..... much.  :)

• Upvote 1

I'm with you Rick_in_CA, but personally I really don't like to eat with a hat on whether it be indoor or outdoors.  So the cover comes off on that on a regular basis.  (I wear hats all the time except while at home.... but if it's cold enough, I'll wear a hat to bed).  We keep the house colder than most people at night.  The only other time is when I'm in the sanctuary of a Christian church.  In auditoriums I do remove my hat out of a courtesy to those sitting behind me.

In uniform, I wear the hat as part of the uniform and whereas I wouldn't take my necker off, the hat is the same.