Perfect Bound / Spiral Bound?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've had both.  Both fail in different ways.  We prefer the standard version.  But key to both is getting a protective cover.  zip lock back is great.  BSA velcro protective cover is great too.    

The 'Perfect Bound' wind up as a collection of sections in a ziplock bag.

joe Bob is right, the handbook doesn't have emough glue in the spine and after 8 trips to the woods it's nothing more than chapters. The spiral book is no better; the pages are so thin they pull out

I have seen pages come out of both bindings. 

I do show the boys how to break in the binding when they first get it.  Obviously one doesn't need to do that with the spiral bound.

Then when the pages come out of the books, they can be taped to the previous page.  This works well with the standard binding, but the pages will never lie flat again with the spiral at that point.

One has to keep it in mind that these books are PAPERBACK books and will NEVER be as durable as the hardbound copies.

If one has an afternoon to kill they can always scan it into their computer and smart phone, print off the advancement page, having someone sign it an then rescanning it back in and digitally switch out the page.  I'm sure with that much work involved, we'll hear about scouts able to lose the digital pages too.

Strangely enough, I still have my Walking Scout edition from when I was a kid with all the pages as well.  Looks like it was never used.  Probably wasn't.  :)

Edited by Stosh

blw2 sorry I was not more specific. The Fieldbook cover is bigger and zips closed.

item 618841

I am certain that the Scoutshop will swap you out for the Fieldbook cover.

thanks for that tip!  i wish I would have seen this earlier this afternoon, my wife was near the scout shop and asked if I needed anything!  oh well, missed opportunity!

Perfect bound in the cover that has a pocket to hold the blue cards in.  (pen fits in that pocket also.)

Name on the outside in sharpee. 

Reinforce the advancement and camping log pages from the beginning with packing tape.

Once in a while scout (or scout parent) zeroxes or takes a picture of advancement pages.

That's what works long term in our troop.

In case anyone needs it, here is a pdf of the new scout requirements 2016 from the new 13th edition handbook. They can be placed in the old handbook if scouts don't need or want to purchase the new edition. A scout is thrifty!

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/boyscouts/pdf/524-012_BS_Requirements.pdf

I gave my boys a copy of the new requirements to look at and use if they decide too. 

I have my book from when I was in Scouting the 10th edition I think.

It has all of my advancements signed off, all the way down to my Eagle Board. I find it a a cherished memto of being in scouting. One boy said hey if we get the new book will you sign off on our stuff like that so we can keep it in one book?

I told him absolutely. He said he wanted to keep it all together like I did, as it would be nice to go back and remember when he got his advancements.

Edited by htusa31

I gave my boys a copy of the new requirements to look at and use if they decide too. 

I have my book from when I was in Scouting the 10th edition I think.

It has all of my advancements signed off, all the way down to my Eagle Board. I find it a a cherished memto of being in scouting. One boy said hey if we get the new book will you sign off on our stuff like that so we can keep it in one book?

I told him absolutely. He said he wanted to keep it all together like I did, as it would be nice to go back and remember when he got his advancements.

Mine was the eighth edition,  man I feel old.  I like how my book had all the requirements for all the merit badges in the back.

Mine was the eighth edition,  man I feel old.  I like how my book had all the requirements for all the merit badges in the back.

Excuuuuse me!!!!  Mine was the sixth edition and I don't feel old, I don't act old, and people keep telling me to grow up.  I have been inflicted with the terrible Peter Pan Syndrome.