When can a scout begin working on the Scout Rank?

I would think that as soon as their registration is completed with the troop they wish to join, they can start working on rank.  Cross-overs are merely ceremonial in nature.  The $$ and registration is what makes it official.

• Upvote 2

I would think that as soon as their registration is completed with the troop they wish to join, they can start working on rank.  Cross-overs are merely ceremonial in nature.  The $$ and registration is what makes it official.

Thanks, that is what I thought.

They are currently called Boy Scout Joining Requirements, @@Stosh is right, it would make sense that requirements apply when you join. It looks like at least a few of the requirements might be "completed" before they join, such as turning 11 and finding a troop. ;)

1) When is Cross Over? If it's later this month, I'd wait.  If it's next year,  I'd start attending troop meetings now.  The troop I am with has had the pack's 5th grade Webelos attending our troop meetings for about a month now. Some of it was to finish up requirements, i.e. attend a Boy Scout troop meeting, but for the most part they are done and were waiting for the 6 months since finishing 4th grade.

2) What set of requirements will you be using the 2015 ones or 2016 ones?

New Scouts for 2016 *must* use the 2016 requirements unless they officially cross over before January 1, 2016.

WWWWWEEEEELLLLLL...

...my troop is telling the new Crossovers next week to wait until January to get the new handbooks and use the new requirements.  We only have a Christmas Party between when they join on the 18th, and the first real meeting for them on Jan. 4th.

• Upvote 1

WWWWWEEEEELLLLLL...

...my troop is telling the new Crossovers next week to wait until January to get the new handbooks and use the new requirements.  We only have a Christmas Party between when they join on the 18th, and the first real meeting for them on Jan. 4th.

Solves that problem, doesn't it.  :)

It also solves a lot of confusion for the boys too.  One book, one set of requirements, no big deal, thousands of boys will be using the new requirements and do just fine.

• Upvote 1

WWWWWEEEEELLLLLL...

We did the exact same thing. We had our "holiday" party and invited the new Scouts to that. They will have their applications processed in January, pay their dues, and begin working on Scout next month. The books are supposed to be ready by mid- to late January.

I know one unit in my area that crossed their Scouts over this month and have already gotten them to Scout under the 2015 requirements. They wanted to stick with the 2015 requirements for another year and then transition. Frankly, I think they just got scared and were caught unprepared at how to manage the new requirements.

Our boys have been visiting several troop meetings and camped with 3 troops so far with another 2 on the schedule.  We are lucky that we have an abundance of good troops within a 10 mile radius.  So only a couple have "decided" which troops they are going to,

The new requirements for the new Scout Rank are much more than the old joining requirements.  I don't think they are necessarly all that hard except there are three knots and repeating the outdoor code.  Previously, you filled out the application and you earned the scout patch.  Now that it is a proper rank there are requirements that need to be met.  From usscouts, if a scout begins working on the scout requirement prior to 2016, they go by the old requirements.

Compared to doing an Eagle Project, learning some extra knots and one more thing to memorize is not a biggie in the greater scheme of life.  It gives the older boys more one-one time with the new boys working with them on the knots.  With the new boys looking for new friends this might work out well.  I'm trying to find the down side to it all.  :)

Compared to doing an Eagle Project, learning some extra knots and one more thing to memorize is not a biggie in the greater scheme of life.  It gives the older boys more one-one time with the new boys working with them on the knots.  With the new boys looking for new friends this might work out well.  I'm trying to find the down side to it all.  :)

I agree, plenty of time to get Eagle.  I like that Scout is a Rank.  versus a checkbox

• Upvote 1

Of course that assumes the new handbooks will be available in January as promised...  So the other question is if the boy has the Scout badge already then he is working on Tenderfoot. Would he have to first earn Scout rank before Terderfoot then?

Tenderfoot, January 1968:

1 Know Scout Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan.

2 Give Scout sign, salute, & handclasp.

3 Describe Scout uniform & when to wear it.

4 Describe Scout Badge & explain its meaning.

5 Describe US flag & flag history, when to fly it, how to hoist, lower, display, fold, salute it. [Pledge of allegiance now assumed as part of Tenderfoot ceremony]

6 Whip a rope. Tie square knot, sheet bend, clove hitch, two half hitches, bowline, taut-line hitch.

7 Understand the Outdoor Code.

8 Give your patrol name & yell; describe the importance of the patrol in your Scout activities.

9 Explain what to do to earn Second Class.

BTW, SCOUT will be what my Tenderfoot was...
http://www.troop97.net/pdfbin/bsa_ranks.pdf(where I found my youth requirements)

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/2016BoyScoutRequirements_8.14.2015.pdf