Pins on Adult Uniform

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matt, I think the key thought here is that you were in training.  It's an artificial environment, heavy on procedure, protocol, instilling the right principles, etc.   Which is alright, it's by design

First of all, Welcome to the forum.   I get these "non-authorized" tokens over the years and have just adopted the policy of putting them on my red jack-shirt.  Then no one can complain.  A few of t

As I understand it they go above the left pocket, not on the flap. If someone corrects me about this, read on...... The larger question is one you intimated in a couple of statements like this one, "

Posted Images

"Someone should have told this scout that full field uniform is not proper to be doing heavy park clean up in."

And he'd be the first to disagree with you.  :)  As far as he is concerned it is proper to wear the full uniform for any and all scout activities.  I never saw him out of uniform except when he took his summer camp swim test at the waterfront.

Every registered scout and scouter in the troop showed up as always in full uniform. With the troop it was expected that everyone show up in full uniform for ALL scout activities.  The troop was not a band-box outfit.  Their uniforms were patched, stained and cleaned up the best they can be for special occasions, but every repair patch, every paint stain, every wear mark was a badge of honor that the troop isn't just there for show.  The attitude of the troop has obviously changed since I left because the second photo shows a different story.  For all I know the SPL in partial uniform might have been the only scout that showed up.

Yes some of the uniforms are expensive, but the uniform the boy on the 4-wheeler is wearing is an authentic 1960's uniform with community strip and proper rank and POR patches.... and he collected it all up on E-Bay and it did cost a bit more than a regular uniform.  He also wore it to the 100th Anniversary Jambo.  By then he was 3rd ASM of the contingent. He showed up at Jambo with all the patches switched out to reflect his proper position in scouting.

If it's a scout activity, one shows up in full scout uniform.  By the way, this scout wasn't the only boy that wore a historic uniform others wore them as well including the garrison cap and campaign hat.  The campaign hat costs more than the whole modern uniform combined.... and he was wearing it the day the park was cleaned up.

• Upvote 1

I'm with Stosh on this one.  The full, proper, uniform is always appropriate for any scouting activity.  They are actually very durable, my current, well loved, CM and RTC uniforms are both more than 24 years old.  Ok I got new pants, but that was for different reasons  :)

"Someone should have told this scout that full field uniform is not proper to be doing heavy park clean up in."

And he'd be the first to disagree with you.   :)  As far as he is concerned it is proper to wear the full uniform for any and all scout activities.  I never saw him out of uniform except when he took his summer camp swim test at the waterfront.

And I believe you on this...because that was a quote from your earlier post. Just wanted to clarify ;)

I can see where the lack of clarification comes in when only a part of the paragraph is quoted, having been taken out of its original context..

The whole paragraph reads: 

"Uniform standards in the BSA are non-existent.  People wear what they want to wear and their sense of BSA pride in that uniform simply does not exist.  

(Picture of scout in full uniform doing an Eagle project)

Someone should have told this scout that full field uniform is not proper to be doing heavy park clean up in.

(Picture of scout in partial uniform doing an Eagle project)

A scout that shows how much pride he has in his uniform while doing his eagle project can be seen in this example."

• Upvote 1

I was told I can wear my parent arrow of light pin, is this true?

Sure you can.  But it doesn't go on your uniform (It's for civilian wear).  I've often seen advancement pins worn on a ribbon that can be affixed to the uniform shirt or worn around the neck on special occasions (Blue & Gold, Courts of Honor).  For normal uniform wear, it's not appropriate (and there's no 'proper' place to put it). 

A ribbon.  Really?  :p

Yeah, it's a non-official ribbon that you put your non-official pins to wear your official uniform  It's kinda like 2 negatives make a positive thingy.  :)

Like:

I have joined an actual Boy Scout troop, and what they do is present each parent with a ribbon that attaches to Mom or Dad's clothing and holds the various pins that come thier way during thier son's Scouting career.

Here is the attachment:  http://www.scoutstuf...ml#.VghXhctVhBc

Rules aside, no reason it could not go on a pocket flap or above it.   I suppose such a ribbon could dangle from a pocket button.

Here is another idea - a loop of ribbon that goes around the neck:

http://www.scoutstuf...ml#.VghYl8tVhBc

https://www.pinteres...75484508321709/

http://www.mothers-pride.com/

Edited by TAHAWK, 27 September 2015 - 05:04 PM.

Edited by TAHAWK

There is no rule that even discusses decoration of name tags.  BSA sells a leather name tag that it suggests might be decorated.  I say, "Go for it."

(I mean, BSA hires lawyers.)

Edited by TAHAWK

I think a name tag with the father/mother pin on it would be nice.  Especially if their son is Eagle.

I bet someone could make a fortune making name tags that would allow the in to be attached.