Pins on Adult Uniform

I had an interesting question come into play yesterday when taking The Scouter's EDGE training. While getting feedback on my presentation, an instructor reminded us to be careful about proper uniforming--something I fully agree with.

I did have a recruiter patch on, which is completely wrong. While I personally think it should apply to adults as well as youth, it does not, so it's off. It was a rather short-lived patch as it was sewed on two days before. But he was right that adults "can't" wear it. That's straightforward and I have no questions there. He was right, I was wrong.

My question has to do with pins. Early in the training we did an exercise and the trainers gave us these small council pins. My fellow trainees put them on their uniform left breast pocket flap. I eventually followed suit. Interestingly he pointed out that too as a uniform faux pas. I imagine he is correct (but giving out the pins seems silly), but what is the official ruling on pins such as this and pins such as parent rank pins and parent religious award pins? These pins seem pointless if there isn't a place to wear them.

My uniform is rather plain, I am not looking to decorate for the sake of decorating. I do not begrudge heavily adorned uniforms as they are usually a reflection of almost countless hours volunteered and a wealth of information. 

post-43849-0-09831300-1442754025_thumb.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matt, I think the key thought here is that you were in training.  It's an artificial environment, heavy on procedure, protocol, instilling the right principles, etc.   Which is alright, it's by design

First of all, Welcome to the forum.   I get these "non-authorized" tokens over the years and have just adopted the policy of putting them on my red jack-shirt.  Then no one can complain.  A few of t

As I understand it they go above the left pocket, not on the flap. If someone corrects me about this, read on...... The larger question is one you intimated in a couple of statements like this one, "

Posted Images

As I understand it they go above the left pocket, not on the flap. If someone corrects me about this, read on......

The larger question is one you intimated in a couple of statements like this one, "I am not looking to decorate for the sake of decorating."

Have you already spent more than a few minutes thinking about this 'issue'? How long have I spent bothering to respond to this thread? How many others have spent time trying to figure out these things?

Now ask yourself, as you account for all of those minutes, and possibly a lot more time considering the investment by others like me - Is it possible that we could have spent our time more productively? Could that time have been better spent on some other aspect of scouting?

If the answer to either of those questions is 'yes', I suggest that we invest in a deep breath and then ignore such matters in favor of things that are actually important.

• Upvote 2

Matt, I think the key thought here is that you were in training.  It's an artificial environment, heavy on procedure, protocol, instilling the right principles, etc.   Which is alright, it's by design, and necessary to a point.

Outside of training?   We are back in the real world.   Wear the uniform as you think best.   I say that because your uniform is sharp and no doubt you set a good example.  

In fact, these days, I rarely see a uniform as squared away as yours.

PS   In the BSA, we have adults who love all of the minutia pertaining to Official Uniform Wear.   The Uniform Guide isn't a guide to them, it's holy writ.   That's their hobby horse, and we strive to be kind to them as they pursue their quest, and stay off their radar to the best of our ability.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 4

First of all, Welcome to the forum.

I get these "non-authorized" tokens over the years and have just adopted the policy of putting them on my red jack-shirt.  Then no one can complain.  A few of the pins and other other non-authorized items go on my hat 

I'm a stickler for full-uniform, but cut a little slack on the WB patrol patches on adults, mentor pins on collars and flaps kinds of things.  There's nothing on the uniform inspection sheet that identifies WB beads either as appropriate for uniforms.  

I have one of my uniforms with all the Banana Republic General items on it.  It gets worn for special occasions.  Normally my uniform is pretty well stripped down to the basics.

Most people don't notice or don't care what others are wearing.  At the OA call-out at summer camp I wore my sash for the first time and the boys commented about not knowing I was OA.  Well, I wear the OA flap all the time and they didn't even make the connection.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for all of the replies and the welcome.

No really needs to take a deep breath on this one. I appreciate the sentiment that there are bigger issues, but we won't have one less hike or teach one less skill because I want to know the answer on this. As a Cubmaster, I want to get it right. The instructor had good intentions and a good point--as a trainer, I just be setting a good example. Same goes for being a leader, in my opinion.

I just want to know where--if anywhere--on my uniform I can put a pin like my parent's religious award pin?

• Upvote 1

You can take my advice from line 1 of the first response and put it just above the left shirt pocket (no one has corrected me yet, not even the banana republic general, lol) or you can just put it anywhere you want and not worry about it.

OR, being as these are pins and therefore easily movable, you can relocate them on your uniform every time someone has a different suggestion. Be sure to attach photos...we await...the drama of it all.

Edited by ya lazima vumbi

Unfortunately nowhere. Only pins authorized for. the uniform are Sea Badge trident, Powder Horn, the Emegency Prep pin, and various knot devices.

In all honesty, when I worked for national supply and had to wear pins, it was a major pain, litteraly and figuratively.

Matt,

If you're referring to a mentor pin, there is no place for it on a uniform.  If you're referring to a religious emblem from your youth, you're welcome to wear it over the left pocket when the occasion calls for it.  With the exception of those mentioned by Eagle94, pins are meant for civilian wear only.

Matt,

If you're referring to a mentor pin, there is no place for it on a uniform.  If you're referring to a religious emblem from your youth, you're welcome to wear it over the left pocket when the occasion calls for it.  With the exception of those mentioned by Eagle94, pins are meant for civilian wear only.

I'm referring to three pins specifically and just pins in general.

When my son earned Light of Christ, I was offered to buy a small oval "parent pin." I got it. To not wear it on my uniform seems silly to me.

Another is also called a parent pin, but is the rank specific one sold via the Scout store.

The third was the small council pin that was given to us at training. It's not specific to training and just a memento type thing.

In he spirit of this being a volunteer organization, between the line of the Insignia Guide if find a general exception allowing the wearing of insignia, pins, patches of special meaning and importance to the wearer. I challenge anyone to prove to me that I do not find this exception between the lines.

Consequently, when a Scout shows up at some non-OA function proudly wearing his brand-new, blindingly white OA sash, I keep my dang mouth shut. When the troop's only kid to earn all four levels of the religious emblem shows up with four purple square knots over his left pocket, I keep my dang mouth shut. When an ASM shows up with his Eagle Dad pin on his collar, I keep my dang mouth shut. When the fellow who has devoted countless hours over the past 10 years to helping kids with their Eagle projects shows up for a ECOH with a pocket full of Mentor pins, I keep my dang mouth shut.

But I do think d-rat has a point -- standing up as a trainer is a different situation. I'll also note that this feedback was part of a Trainers' EDGE course, so I would say it is wholly appropriate in that instance.

• Upvote 2