Are The Hours A Life Scout Performs On His Eagle Project Counted As Service Project Hours?

Other than the requirements for a specific rank or for reporting in the Eagle paperwork we don't keep record of any individual scout's service hours, nor do we have any expectation that an individual scout would keep such a record.

What does a district do if a scout arrives at their EBOR without a number or with a small number?  What number would they consider small?

Other than the requirements for a specific rank or for reporting in the Eagle paperwork we don't keep record of any individual scout's service hours, nor do we have any expectation that an individual scout would keep such a record.

What does a district do if a scout arrives at their EBOR without a number or with a small number?  What number would they consider small?

Is it just me, or are there individuals that truly are not cognizant of Eagle paperwork?  Hours ARE tabulated on the project paperwork, and are part of its completion.  That is where National gets their periodically published total hours from Eagle projects and value comparisons.  The project paperwork has to be approved prior to the BOR, and it is also part of the review package for those sitting on the actual board.  On a rare occasion, there could be a board inquiry about hours should something stand out to one of the reviewers; but it is already approved, so generally would simply be a clarification.

National has said in regard to total hours and candidate hours that there is no minimum amount.  Some projects may have more personal prep hours listed, while others may have few prep, but many and broadly distributed hours for the actual work and such.  Part is how the candidate interprets these stats, and part is due to a project's nature.

@@T2Eagle, it's a given that the Eagle project hours would be reported to the EBoR. That includes a breakdown of who put in hours doing what. I actually find this the most interesting because it says a lot about how the boy leads and networks.

What's optional is a tally of all the boy's other hours of service (either since earning Life or career total).

Is it just me, or are there individuals that truly are not cognizant of Eagle paperwork?  Hours ARE tabulated on the project paperwork, and are part of its completion.  That is where National gets their periodically published total hours from Eagle projects and value comparisons.  The project paperwork has to be approved prior to the BOR, and it is also part of the review package for those sitting on the actual board.  On a rare occasion, there could be a board inquiry about hours should something stand out to one of the reviewers; but it is already approved, so generally would simply be a clarification.

National has said in regard to total hours and candidate hours that there is no minimum amount.  Some projects may have more personal prep hours listed, while others may have few prep, but many and broadly distributed hours for the actual work and such.  Part is how the candidate interprets these stats, and part is due to a project's nature.

I'm very cognizant about tracking hours for the Eagle project.  My question was about the tracking of other hours.  We don't track them for an individual in any way, shape, or form.  If I understand correctly, Bad Wolf's, and some other districts, seem to require this tabulation.  What would be done with that number, and what and how would an EBOR say about that number?

• Upvote 1

I'm very cognizant about tracking hours for the Eagle project.  My question was about the tracking of other hours.  We don't track them for an individual in any way, shape, or form.  If I understand correctly, Bad Wolf's, and some other districts, seem to require this tabulation.  What would be done with that number, and what and how would an EBOR say about that number?

My understanding is that our district wants to report total service hours and eagle project service hours up the food chain.

... Bad Wolf's, and some other districts, seem to require this tabulation.  What would be done with that number, and what and how would an EBOR say about that number?

The number is for bragging rights. BSA promotes itself by bragging about the millions of hours it serves in the community. That number gets translated into hypothetical dollars, and equated to the organization's public value.

I'v ever heard of it being brought up at an EBoR.

We record in Troopmaster all hours served on a project, including the Eagle Scout.  We do not count the prep hours the Eagle spent on his project, just the "construction  day" ones.  We likely have a dozen service projects as a Troop per year, plus the Eagle projects.  All have sign in/out sheets for Scouts/Scouters/parents.  Parents who show up a lot could be ones we look to recruit as Scouters.  (Sometimes outside orgs, like the charities, ask us later for the hours so nice to have them all.)

If a Scout signs in without signing out - 1 hour credit.  Ditto for those who sign out but not in.  Harsh?  Who cares, try submitting a timesheet to an employer without in/out times or doing a mileage expense report without putting a destination.  Teaching a life lesson there and Scouts learn it quickly, without any real problems.  Our Scouts have service hours to burn typically.  .

We give an award to the Scout(s) will the highest # of hours at COHs.  For those we do back out the time the Eagle worked on his own project - it would be too self-serving to include those.  Service hour and attendance reports are printed for every BOR.  No litmus test there, at all; just for discussion purposes on a minority of boards.

We do not count the prep hours the Eagle spent on his project, just the "construction  day" ones.  We likely have a dozen service projects as a Troop per year, plus the Eagle projects.  

IMHO this is a huge disservice. The planning involved in an Eagle project IS ( emphasis) paret of the overall project, and can be just as time consuming. Purpose of the project is showing leadership, and that includes the planning and prep.