Summer Camp And The Patrol Method

Does your troop make summer camp selection by patrols or by troop decision?

If three patrols all want to go to three different summer camps, will the PLC support the patrols or do they all have to go with a troop decision on the subject?

It's a troop thing, but this year it was a nearly unanimous decision. Nearly unanimous because some folks didn't care where they would be going.

We don't have the adult manpower to split up. However next year, we have a contingent going to Philmont, and the rest going to a regular summer camp. I am already working on getting leader for 2016 as the 2 folks who have been to every summer camp since the troop restarted are going to Philmont next year.

Five patrols. Patrol members bring ideas to their PL. PLs bring to the PLC. Top 5 camps are discussed in a troop-wide meeting. We vote and the top camp is selected with the other vote getters being fall back. Research is done by the scouts with help from the adults.

We have yet to have boys who decide on anything but Heritage Reservation week 1. After our merger, that's likely to change because the merging troop has been attending Seven Ranges.

I'm trying to think back to my time as a youth in Atl and I don't remember ever voting for which summer camp we would attend.  Pretty sure it was decided by the Troop Committee and put on a rotation between Woodruff (GA) and Skymont (TN).  Then, when I joined the Troop in NOLA we voted as a Patrol to go to Salmen (MS) and Thunder (GA) every other year.  

Now, the Troop I serve as Scoutmaster has two Patrols and the younger group has voted not to attend camp at all this summer...However, two of the Scouts are hooking up with a neighboring Troop for a camp "up Nort".  The older Scout Patrol is split between Philmont contigents and summer sports programs.

I'm trying to think back to my time as a youth in Atl and I don't remember ever voting for which summer camp we would attend.  Pretty sure it was decided by the Troop Committee and put on a rotation between Woodruff (GA) and Skymont (TN).  Then, when I joined the Troop in NOLA we voted as a Patrol to go to Salmen (MS) and Thunder (GA) every other year.  

Now, the Troop I serve as Scoutmaster has two Patrols and the younger group has voted not to attend camp at all this summer...However, two of the Scouts are hooking up with a neighboring Troop for a camp "up Nort".  The older Scout Patrol is split between Philmont contigents and summer sports programs.

@@LeCastor

Bummer.  Sounds like your patrols fragment pretty easily.  How long have they been patrols?  And how does a patrol vote to not go to summer camp especially when two of the boys want to go?  

By the way  with all my boys being brand new and doing their second summer camp if any want to join up with us at Camp Freeland Leslie, let us know.  We already have another troop from N. Illinois joining us with 2 boys.

Edited by Stosh

Yeah, it is a bummer.  The younger Patrol has been together for 2 years and they've gone to camp together twice with mixed enthusiasm.  2/6 wanted to camp but the rest said, "meh" and left it at that.  I suggested they hook up with my friend's Troop because they're going to Bear Paw this summer.

The older Patrol has been together for 4-5 years and they have more and more "extra-Scoutal" opportunities now and, in some cases, they'll be 18 by summer camp.

We're in a rebuilding phase, to use a sports metaphor.   ;)

Thanks for the offer of joining up with your Patrol!

If I might ask, What was the reason for the two camps?

The camp where the single patrol went to was the younger patrol. That camp is geared more towards the younger, while the other is a bit "rougher".