Pin Heads Vote to Remove Flag

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/uc-irvine-students-vote-to-remove-american-flag-from-campus-lobby/

Resolution reads, in part, “freedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible can be interpreted as hate speech.†Now I went to a good, state-supported university, every bit as good as UC-Irvine. I understand English as it was taught at my mother's knee. It is my native tongue. But please, what the hell does that mean?

These misguided individuals are being brought up short by their peers. The larger student organization has brought it up for official veto. It appears that actually will be the case by tomorrow. Still, it certainly makes you wonder about their reasoning abilities.

“(F)lags construct paradigms of conformity and sets homogenized standards for others to obtain which in this country typically are idolized as freedom, equality and democracy.â€Â

Authored by student Matthew Guevara, the resolution goes on to state that since “the American flag has been flown in instances of colonialism and imperialism,†its display “does not express only selective aspects of its symbolism but the entire spectrum of its interpretation.â€Â

After citing freedom of speech as a “valued right that ASUCI supports,†the resolution states that “freedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible can be interpreted as hate speech.â€Â

The resolution concludes with the following: “Let it be resolved that ASUCI make every effort to make the Associated Students main lobby space as inclusive as possible. Let it further be resolved that no flag, of any nation, may be hanged on the walls of the Associate Student main lobby space.â€Â

So the exercise of "freedom of speech," a "valued right," must be suppressed as "hate speech." Freedom is hate.

The keyword here is blackwhite. Like so many Newspeak words, this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink. Doublethink is basically the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.

Makes it sound like their new space meets the qualifications for solitary confinement. Go for it guys!

Nice picture, they don't even know how to respectfully fold the flag, it must be a new experience for them.

Keep it in mind, this is California, they have not really wanted to be part of the US for some time now.

It's not that I dislike people from California, it's just that I lived there for some time and understand where they're coming from. Where they think they're going is quite a different story, but where they're coming from is obvious.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

While I will admit we have a big share of the kooks in the world, I think you may be painting with a bit too broad a brush. If you throw out the Bay area, and parts of L.A. you will likely find people remarkably "normal".

While I will admit we have a big share of the kooks in the world' date=' I think you may be painting with a bit too broad a brush. If you throw out the Bay area, and parts of L.A. you will likely find people remarkably "normal".[/quote']

:) You are correct, there are a ton of normal people in California, a lot of midwest transplants, out of state retirees, etc. I do know it's always the Bay Area and LA that get the "Idiots Live Here" press as does Chicago and New York. The rest of these states have a ton of really nice people.I know a lot of people that would be very happy if Chicago simply slipped off into Lake Michigan. Maybe when LA and the Bay area end up in the Pacific, we can say it's San Andrea's fault. :) Maybe like Dodge City where they wouldn't allow guns in the city limits, maybe these people have to check their common sense at the door when they show up.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

So, some college students did something silly? And this is news? Better that they should get this out of their system now, before they get out into the "real world." I also think we can criticize people's actions without calling them names, I.e. "pin heads"

• Upvote 1

There's hope for our young people after all!

I would think that inclusiveness could be better promoted by putting all nationalities' flags in the lobby of the students at UC-Irvine.That message speaks louder than bannin the reality of the student's backgrounds. Kinda like the UN does outside it's office building in NY. It's kinda impressive. At least more impressive than a entryway of nothing.

Stosh

The term, 'Pin Head' is sometimes used to denigrate persons by comparing them to real examples of the disorder of microcephaly.

So in this case the reality is that the idea might not have been a very thoughtful one. And the beauty of our system is that we can HAVE bad ideas and even put them out there for others to read or hear. And then our friends will show us the wisdom (or not) of those ideas. In science it's called peer review. In society, if the rest of us see a bad idea as wisdom, we get bad policy or trickle down economics or something.

In this case the students seem to have done things right. Yes there's hope for our young people, I see it every day.

That's to be expected from thoughtful people, right?

This short thread is a microcosm of what we see on the net, especially FB and uncontrolled boards. Something is upsetting, annoying, or simply disagreeable to someone and they post their comments, but generally out of context, and often without the link to the source. Various friends and acquaintences see the post and jump to their own conclusions, again without context. If the post does contain a link, many will not read that, so they still do not have the more complete picture. Finally, few will pursue the background and possible responses to those nearest, but rather simply paint the institution or group with that wonderful broad condemnation brush. Meanwhile the really ignorant post derogatory and vicious comments, often somehow making their personal scape goat somehow responsible.

In this case, I posted almost immediately a link to the greater student group leadership and the school, and their response. But few bothered to take note until it finally showed up on the net. But even then, some of the "news" links skewed it to their own purposes.

And too many sheep simply follow along, eventually evolving to lemmings. And we all know what their final act may be.