A view of PC currently in our society

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RedNeck in south Georgia referred to whites who worked the fields alongside 'darkies' (PC term would be African-Americans) and got sunburned on the backs of their necks. I did that for many summers in

TAHAWK, I'm with you on the PC requirements of a fair trial, but it sure complicates the future.   Let's say we have a Gay suing a Baptist, or vice versa. We obviously need 6 gay jurors and 6 Bap

I'm not having fun at anybody's expense, just pointing out that it's OK today to be blatantly bigoted against one group of people in our society while being so concerned about others. Here's a few samples from this very board, just search for redneck in the search bar:

JasonG172: Alcohol on the other hand is always a no no but even some of the higher ups wait till the boys go to bed! Sorry I am in RedNeck Country.

Basementdweller: "I am not a redneck and I am mystified by those who think it is something to be proud of." He went on to say, "Let me see we have a few self proclaimed rednecks in the neighborhood.....White, use tobacco, drink cheap beer, listen to really loud country music"

PackSaddle: A long time ago, one of my redneck buddies, obese, beer-guzzling, tobacco-drooling, unwashed, smelly, nearly bald, and profane....

I own the term redneck, as I understand it, and I'm proud of it. I'm tired of the term being use d to incorrectly identify "obese, beer-guzzling, tobacco-drooling, unwashed, smelly, nearly bald and profane" individuals. Anybody who disagrees with me is clearly a bigot.

Aww, you guys are incorrigible.

Edit: DC, I knew that guy...lived not too far from me...he also enjoyed kicking back on the porch with a few beers...."Yeah, God created ME in his image, har, har, har..." He loved that line and laughed so hard he'd spill beer. He never could get over the fact that I was a better shot with a rifle. I'll add that he was a pretty good chess player...even when drunk.

Might someone be offended by being accused of "hypocrisy"?

It is really hard to always avoid unintentionally giving offense, but trying to avoid that result is worth the effort. The generally successful effort to avoid unintentionally giving offense is said to be the mark of a gentleman. Hence "count to ten."

Sometimes, counting to 100 is not enough. 0___0

RedNeck in south Georgia referred to whites who worked the fields alongside 'darkies' (PC term would be African-Americans) and got sunburned on the backs of their necks. I did that for many summers in grammar school and high school; hoeing peanuts, cotton and corn.

I'm proud to be a RedNeck. Traits of that social group include an affinity for manual labor, hunting, good Southern manners, beer, trucks and country music. (FWIW - I've a few African American friends who don't mind being lumped in with us RedNecks.)

Long-haired (to the point of blocking any sun from your neck), dirty, profane, lazy and rude are traits of 'white trash'.

Today many people fail to make the distinction and lump all groups who are not elite suburbanites into a 'RedNeck' catchall.

I married a Chicago native who faints when I tell her friends that I'm a proud RedNeck, which her friends associate with 'the southside' and White Sox fans...

• Upvote 1

Never chopped cotton but I have plowed with a mule and I know the pleasant warm feeling on a crisp fall morning when fresh chicken shit squirts through the toes of my bare feet in the yard. I don't claim to be a redneck but most of my yankee friends make that assumption. It's not a big deal.

Anyway, there's no way anyone is going to convince me that JoeBob has no sense of humor.

JoeBob, this will help:

Hard to imagine that back in 1961 'Pony Time' was a top hit:

"Now you turn to the left when I say gee,

You turn to the right when I say haw,

Now gee, ya ya little baby,

Now haw, ya oh baby, oh baby, pretty baby,

Do it baby, oh baby, oh baby,

Boogety, boogety, boogety, boogety shoo."

You'll have no problem remembering now, I wager. Plus for the rest of your life, you'll never be able to 'unwatch' that video.