Two questions regarding appropriate behaviors of adult and youth leaders

jblake47, There's not much an individual can do to prevent a superfund site that's already happened. But not only is a cigarette something that is 'right now', it's something that can be addressed effectively, one person at a time. The comparison is flawed.

KDD, yes, smoke is going to remain - addicts don't give up their addictions easily. But that's like the reality of traffic laws: someone is going to break them from time to time. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have traffic laws.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am guessing the OP is a youth.   Smoking was the social norm until quite recently. so for the last 2000 years we have walk north america and men have smoked. Only in the last 20 years and mor

As is often the case, there is the policy and there is what people think is the policy. Tahawk was kind enough to post the actual policy that can be found at the BSA website. Note that nowhere in the

We are all held accountable for our actions in our personal lives. Those of us in Scouting take on additional rules so as to help young boys become men. Does that mean we automatically retrofit all of

jblake47, There's not much an individual can do to prevent a superfund site that's already happened. But not only is a cigarette something that is 'right now', it's something that can be addressed effectively, one person at a time. The comparison is flawed.

KDD, yes, smoke is going to remain - addicts don't give up their addictions easily. But that's like the reality of traffic laws: someone is going to break them from time to time. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have traffic laws.

Had your house checked for radon? Just bought a new house and it cost the seller to put in a radon mitigation system.

Pull up the carpet and the asbestos tiles are underneath. Some are cracked and broken, that means asbestos is loose. Same for older homes forced air sealants, and then we can start with the asbestos shingles on your house.

Kinda makes one want to move off into the woods to be a hermit and only have to worry about the Monsanto run off in the drinking water.

There's so much stuff out there that one can't imagine how one person's smoke is all that important.

It's always easier to hassle an individual here and there than it is to address any real problems out there that would take a bit more than a minor rant to deal with it.

Stosh

Been there, done that in both cases. If those worry you then the woods are going to be your worst nightmare, lol, what with allergies and all, not to mention biting insects, or lack of reality television or....Oprah.

Radon, yep. We tested and yes, the basement if confined long enough has radon. We have the 'right' geology. Solution: ventilation.

Followup test, no problem.

Tiles? Those are a Category 1 non-friable form of asbestos. It's easy to fix. Or just cover it with new carpet or more tiles.

Rants are optional. Both of those things are a far cry from a superfund site...and far easier to deal with. Bad comparisons, both.

But the drama was fun.

OTOH, tobacco is an addiction and I see no reason to cut a nicotine addict any more slack than I would a cocaine addict. Moreover, I don't HAVE to cut any slack so I don't. If the addict doesn't like it, the addict has a perfect solution: quit.

Otherwise they should expect to live with the withdrawal symptoms for the duration of the event. I'll be glad to supply moral support for them to get the monkey off their back, cold turkey.

The same holds true for alcohol, and second-hand alcohol is a lot quicker and more severe than tobacco. The deaths by second-hand smoke pale in comparison to alcohol related domestic violence, vehicular homicide and the list is endless. I'll take an addicted smoker over an addicted alcoholic any day.

Stosh