Thinking about starting a Venture Crew: Any advice?

I'm thinking about starting a Venture Crew. What are some things I need to consider before forming one?

The motivation is that some of our Troop's older boys want higher adventure. I would like to go on more streamlined campouts--fewer boys who know what they are doing, and be able to do so more quickly. We wouldn't be what I consider a full time crew--I'm thinking about 5 outings a year (vs. the 10+ outings the Troop does), and one or two meetings a month.

IMHO, the reasoning that any troop leader should have for starting a crew: 1) There is enthusiasm from the boys to take on additional responsibilities. 2) There are youth in your community who would benefit from joining in with your boys.

You really need both. Otherwise, your super-skilled boys just become the troop's "HA patrol." They can do that without all the trappings of a whole new program, divided adult leadership, etc ...

Have a strong specialized interest that will keep the crew going over the years. Planning and taking two big ski trips per year. Scuba. Sailing. If it is just a bunch of friends, the crew will die over time as people age out. If you have a strong purpose, people will join because of that.

Have a strong specialized interest that will keep the crew going over the years. Planning and taking two big ski trips per year. Scuba. Sailing. If it is just a bunch of friends' date=' the crew will die over time as people age out. If you have a strong purpose, people will join because of that. [/quote']

Although this formula sounds great on paper, I haven't seen it pan out. I've seen as many specialized interest crews come and go as general interest crews. But, if you see a clear need in your community, e.g. for a sporting club or a youth ministry, definitely specialize. Without a massive endowment, it's very hard for a small group to be all things to all people.

Again if you simply have a group of eight boys who want to camp "on the edge". Encourage them to form a patrol. Even when they are with the troop, they'll set up their site quickly and then be prepared with their skill sets to help the other patrols -- maybe by setting up a camp-wide game or providing special training for the PLC or making some super camp gadget.

Encourage ALL of your patrols to dedicate a couple of months planning their own weekend outings or activities.

I am in the process of starting a Venturing Crew in our community to reach out to 1) older Scouts who are "done" with Boy Scouts and 2) teenage women who want to do the things their brothers have done for years but haven't had the opportunity to do themselves. Personally, I polled area Scoutmasters and asked if they had Scouts who wanted more than what they were getting Boy Scouting. Also, I already knew firsthand of young women who have always been on the periphery of our Troop (sisters, cousins), always looking in but never having the chance to participate.

Basically, we know that these young folks like water sports and backpacking. These are two activities we know how to do well and have the trained adult advisors to help the future Venturers make it happen.

Ask yourself why you're doing it, first. Then, take a step back and find out who would be your potential recruits. Finally, what would this crew do?

That's my advice. It's what I did...;)

Although this formula sounds great on paper, I haven't seen it pan out. I've seen as many specialized interest crews come and go as general interest crews. But, if you see a clear need in your community, e.g. for a sporting club or a youth ministry, definitely specialize. Without a massive endowment, it's very hard for a small group to be all things to all people.

It's the only model that I've seen work locally. All the other crews pop-up and then die after three to five years. In a sad way ... it's almost like ... "an explorer post"

LeCastor Being involved with the same Venturing crew for over 13 years now I will tell you what has worked for us, first get yourself some well trained and experienced outdoor oriented associate advisors. Second, avoid at ALL costs running your crew like a troop, older teens if properly supported by the adults, not controlled by them, will surprise you how well they can organize and plan a program that they really want. Third encourage them to earn the Venturing awards they are interested in, don't force them. Our crew is very outdoor oriented and we have a great supporter in our local sporting goods chain store, who sells us equipment at a deep discount and donates equipment to our crew as well, hint- the store manager is one of our advisors. We started with ten teens and five adults and today we have 100 crew members and 25 adult associate advisors so we must be doing something right. Good Luck with your crew.

Lots of good thoughts above ^^

We're about a year in to doing what you're thinking about. The Crew is small and consists so far of about 7 Scouts from 3 Troops (primarily boys who went to National Jamboree together). The boys are young - just old enough to qualify for Venturing - and this has made it tough to recruit girls, who probably saw it as a babysitting opportunity. Single biggest challenge is calendaring. They literally have almost no days when more than 3 of the boys can make an event.

... The Crew is small and consists so far of about 7 Scouts from 3 Troops (primarily boys who went to National Jamboree together). The boys are young - just old enough to qualify for Venturing - and this has made it tough to recruit girls' date=' who probably saw it as a babysitting opportunity. Single biggest challenge is calendaring. They literally have almost no days when more than 3 of the boys can make an event. [/quote']

We've continually been in a similar situation. (Not just with the crew. Being from different school districts, the older boys in our troop have diverse schedules.) Some tricks:

• Connect with your council VOA and area VOA (and the VOA of adjacent councils and areas if they are within driving distance). Find out about every available event. If at least two of your boys are free to attend, take them. It will give them opportunities to network with other venturers.
  • If there is a boy interested in sitting in on council VOA meetings talk to his parent about being willing to transport him to monthly meetings. Attend yourself, if possible. (Advisors need advisors.)
  • Each boy should have an event they'd like to try and pull off. It doesn't have to be a full day activity. For example, there might be a famous sportsman in town giving a talk some evening. Or it could be raising flags at an evening event. (This could also be a Troop event that a boy thinks his fellow venturers would be interested in -- either as participants or organizers. That kind of thing requires planning and permissions from the SPL/SM.) Not everything will get on the calendar, but trying is the first step.
  • Together, the boys need to decide what their next super-activity should be. They need to make a two year plan to accomplish it. That includes promoting it. Committing the time to preparation and training, etc ...

One final note: you'll only be as capable as the availability of your adults to support this. Not that they have to do much, but each outing requires two-deep leadership. Plus there's no way that you'll have the skill set for everything the boys think of, but you should have the numbers of people they can call to get things going.

Thanks for all the advice. My initial thoughts were to make it a coed crew, but until I can get female leadership, that will have to go on hold. My oldest son has several female friends who wish that Girl Scouts would go on outings like our troop--that is why they didn't stay in Girl Scouts. I have also thought about just doing this as a Venture Patrol, and that's part of why I asked here.

I do very much like BadenP's idea. I have no intention of running this like a troop. I also like qwazse's idea of having the scouts each plan an event. I think our group will be like leCastor's, in terms of interests--aquatics and backpacking.

...' date=' but until I can get female leadership, that will have to go on hold. ... [/quote']

You don't need co-ed leadership to hold meetings. Girls who care about this sort of thing will help you recruit leaders. That said, I wish I had a dollar for every girl scout who complained about her troop but never darkened the door of our meeting place. ;) Both Venturing and GSUSA would be that much better if those girls did something productive with their gripes.

So, get to know the youth community outside your troop a little better. If those young women want to help the boys get this started, then you have reason #2 to start the crew. If they won't buy the trap until it's caught the vermin, then they're not venturers yet.

I also like qwazse's idea of having the scouts each plan an event.

FYI, this isn't perfect. My boys fail to implement plans a lot. The "calendar beast" is hard to slay. Plus one has to set aside video games to interface with people in the real world if you want real world adventure. Girls, especially current and former girl scouts, are a little more successful at this.

The equation changes if your crew elects a VP of Program who calls each activity chair (that's the term in Venturing-speak for any youth who plans an event) for updates in advance of every meeting.

I think our group will be like leCastor's' date=' in terms of interests--aquatics and backpacking. [/quote']

Regardless of how you organize this. Consider challenging your older boys to obtain some national certifications like Wilderness First-Aid, BSA or Red Cross Guard. Taking courses like those will help them rub elbows with other people who have grand ideas for their "next big thing."

BadenP, I think you are so wrong and Qwase is so right. I cannot find a Venturing Advisors Manual but I did find a Venturing Leader Manual. I also took the online Venturing Youth Protection Training just a few minutes ago. Neither one says coed adult leaders are required for meetings. They are required, however, for "all Venturing trips and outings". The Guide to Safe Scouting also says the same thing.