How does your troop pick patrols?

Did it tonight. SM gave the boys present a paper and pen and said "Give me a list of two patrols." There were some points of contention, but the boys worked it out.

I just say patrols are 6-8 boys each. Let me know who's in what patrol and who the PL/APL team is for each. Then I go have a cup of coffee.

This is not a battle worth fighting and if something isn't up to snuff, they can't blame the adults. I really like that part about not being able to blame the adults. Of course if there's a problem down the road about who's in what patrol, then they can switch around to their hearts content. I can drink coffee all day long. And no matter what happens, they can never blame the adults. Did I mention that they can't blame the adults? :)

Stosh

NSP is together from March/April through Summer Camp. In September, everyone can choose whatever Patrol they want - 6-8 as well, let me know who's leading it. I encourage Scouts to try and work out their differences if they can when they don't like their Patrol for some reason, but it ain't jail. We don't have much shuffling around - one so far since last September.

Scout's choice. Initially, usually a new den forms of the scouts that just joined. But scouts can switch patrols at any time given that the new patrol accepts them into the patrol. It's as easy as the scout and the PL letting the SPL ... and hopefully ... the SPL lets the SM know.

IMHO, the patrols work the best when the scouts never change patrols. That's how they develop ownership and pride in their patrol. And if that patrol becomes just two or three scouts in their 7th year of scouting, fine. And if the patrol dies when those scouts age out, I'm okay with that too.

Scout's choice. Initially, usually a new den forms of the scouts that just joined. But scouts can switch patrols at any time given that the new patrol accepts them into the patrol. It's as easy as the scout and the PL letting the SPL ... and hopefully ... the SPL lets the SM know.

IMHO, the patrols work the best when the scouts never change patrols. That's how they develop ownership and pride in their patrol. And if that patrol becomes just two or three scouts in their 7th year of scouting, fine. And if the patrol dies when those scouts age out, I'm okay with that too.

I'm 100% in agreement with you, but as an adult, I suggest that as the patrol gets "older" and if the boys wish, they might want to invite younger boys into the patrol to perpetuate a legacy for the patrol. I have had occasion where two older shrinking patrols merge and come up with a combined name or new name for the patrol.

It's always interesting what the boys come up with.

One of the older boy patrols all adopted 6' walking stick, patrol hat, and patrol necker. Membership was by invite only. They called themselves the Honor Patrol. Everyone wanted to join that patrol even though there was nothing indicative of being special (Honor) at all. It was just the name. :) They generally didn't have attendance problems like the other patrols. They all carried dual neckers for when troop neckers were necessary, but generally wore their patrol neckers and hat to stay unique within the troop. Although not "part" of the patrol, the troop officers tended to camp near this patrol and interact with it on a regular basis. It was always interesting to note that at the ECOH's, the hat, necker and staff were always part of the boy's display and on occasion, there were tripods of walking sticks near the display table. As far as I know this troop still has it's Honor Patrol.

Stosh