Merit Badge Books in PDF Format

Much of the merit badge program is financed from the sale of merit badge books and badges. The BSA has looked into and will be offering electronic merit badge books in the not too distant future that will be dowanloadable to iphones and tablets and the like and sold where you get applets.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My troop would pay a yearly subscription fee to the BSA for access each merit badge pamplet on-line.

Trust me, you do not want to deal with copyright lawyers. They will hound you.

Long story short, wife did book review in grad school. paper got submitted for some competition, and was one of three finalists. The "payout" was a free ticket to the lcoal librarian convention and the paper being publiched in the group's journal. Due to the three publishers being housed in the WTC on 9-11, copyright permission was never secured, and it was too late for the paper to be pulled form the journal.

3 years and a move later, we get calls from 3 copyright laywers. After several conversations, 2 back off. One is a P.I.T.A. Could not understand that no financial compensation was given for the paper the wife wrote. after several months of being harassed, It finally got to her when I mentioned that maybe the journal should charge her client for the 3 full pages of advertising they got from the paper my wife wrote since it was a book review promoting the the book to all the libaries and school systems in the state.

I got one final call saying fine, don't do it again.

I'm trying to envision how a book review would go crosswise of copyright laws? Did she use extensive quotes from the book? If so, and if she referenced them appropriately, as a scholarly paper she was within the realm of 'fair use'. Of course that won't stop an attorney who smells a case but in this case it would be a losing one for them.

Or did she use the intellectual property in some other way for that review? Like I said, I can't figure out how something like this would bring out the attorneys.

I am donning my 'neo-Luddite' hat now, I would like to add that there is still nothing wrong with those 'old-fashioned' paper pamphlets. They work without electricity and you can jump page-to-page a LOT faster than on some d***** iPhone or similar electronic crutch. And before you go on about pages getting wet or something, dunk that infernal electronic contraption in the creek and let me know how that works for you.

I am donning my 'neo-Luddite' hat now, I would like to add that there is still nothing wrong with those 'old-fashioned' paper pamphlets. They work without electricity and you can jump page-to-page a LOT faster than on some d***** iPhone or similar electronic crutch. And before you go on about pages getting wet or something, dunk that infernal electronic contraption in the creek and let me know how that works for you.
You know Pack, not every scout has the money to own an Ipad or a smart phone. Scouts wealthy enough to have such things could learn to make do with the old standy paper publications
Much of the merit badge program is financed from the sale of merit badge books and badges. The BSA has looked into and will be offering electronic merit badge books in the not too distant future that will be dowanloadable to iphones and tablets and the like and sold where you get applets.

Wonder what the budget for the merit badge program is? Supposedly, much of the editorial input is volunteer, of course there's the design and production cost. At $4.50 each, wonder how much is made off each merit badge book?

And at $2.00, I wonder what th profit is on a merit badge? $1? 50 cents? It's an interesting question as there are just under 2 million merit badges earned every year, according to meritbadge.org. Rather puts an interesting light on high speed/low drag advancement policy.

Pack,

Illustrated children's books have 2 copyrights: one for the author and one for the illustrator. Wife used the cover art, and if memory serves as the published journal is in the attic, one .additional illustration from each book. Lawyers got involved b/c wife sent a letter tryign to get permission per the association's instructions. And she did try to stop the presses, but it was to late.

Funny thing is this. First lawyer had no problem with it, and we only talked once. Second lawyer didn' think it would eb a problem, but wanted to double check. His second call said it was no problem.

Third lawyer was the P.I.T.A. First she wanted over $1000 since it was already published and my wife 'got paid for it already.' Explained the situation to her, but apparently it did not go through her head. Over the next 3 months wwe would get calls with lower and lower prices, until secodn to last call it was $100 she wanted us to pay. that's when I had it. Explained for the umpteenth time the situation, and then said "maybe I should contact the journal and have them charge your client for a three page add since A) the article promoted the book and B) the journal went to every single public library, school library, and college library in the state as well as other ALA members." the next call was whenthey said fine.

Yep, that explains it. Makes perfect sense now. I guess I didn't anticipate the artwork issue. When I write book reviews, the only way artwork enters the review is when I note errors or inaccuracies in technical graphs or illustrations...not exactly what you'd often do with reviews of children's books, I think. I'm glad you eventually managed to outlast the scavenger.

Like Twocubdad wrote...

I would love to see how much of a budget is granted for the Merit Badge program and where it goes exactly...Study Matterials ?????

As a Merit Badge Counselor.. I am a Volunteer..I buy my Own Books...I bought books which an Interested Sout can check out from me if his troop does not have one. I can not see a Scout having to Buy his own unless they just insist.

I teach Nature, Reptile and Amphibian Study and Pets

• 4 months later...

The public library has always been a source for the Merit Badge Pamphlets.

Since libraries can legally make a limited number of digital copies of printed texts for purposes of noncommercial lending, you could partner with your local public library to get the pamphlets they have into a digital format that can be borrowed by the scouts. There would be a limit to how many digital copies could be checked out at any one time, but it would at least be a digital option available to the scouts.

• 3 weeks later...
Copyright is a big deal and violating that not only asks for legal remedies, it is a clear violation of the Scout Law, at least one of them, and the Oath.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with creating a 'lending library' for the troop to use. Old copies of the pamphlets can be donated by boys once they're finished with the merit badges or they can be purchased directly by the troop. OR multiple boys who intend to work on the same badge can share the cost and purchase a single shared copy.

But Copyright does prohibit MAKING COPIES, no matter what form they take, even if not for profit.

Krampus, telling someone about a criminal activity is not a crime in itself, even if the reader decides to engage in the criminal activity as a result. However, the better action would be to inform those who are breaking the law that they should stop, BEFORE they receive that stiff note from an attorney.

Unauthorized use of BSA material, logos, etc can be reported at http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Licensing/Protecting%20the%20Brand/Report%20Unauthorized%20Use.aspx

• 7 months later...
A question to the group.

How common is it for scouts to own Ipads????? Honestly they should be able to afford 5 bucks for a merit badge book.

The BSA has a right to recoop cost of producing the books.

So why don't they make them available on Google play or itunes?????

I think that would go a long way to making them seem at least remotely current and relevant with the way most folks operate now a days.

If they only needed ONE book, that would be reasonable, but they need a $5 book for EACH merit badge, which is unreasonable. So even if they own their own device, to have to pay $5 every time you start a new Merit Badge can add up pretty quickly.

Online or app availability is a good idea too. I hope they really are working on that, but they do seem a bit slow to keep up with technological advancements. They could have the Eagle Required available as a package and then offer the others at a low price like 50 cents or a $1 each.