Is Order of the Arrow open to adults ?

I am a Cub Scout leader, and this weekend our Pack had a campout at the same time as an Order of the Arrow function. I was a Boy Scout for about five years, and still know little about it. Can adults become members, or does one need to become a member back when a youth in order to partisipate as an adult??

Yes the OA is open for membership as a adult. I just got in for my son's ordeal, and 6 adults went thru at the same time. This is also the only way for a female to become member of the OA.

See following edited (by me) membership requirements:

All candidates who are older then 21 and who are registered members of the BSA shall be considered as a adult candidate for membership. Individuals shall be selected as candidates based on the following:

1. Adult leaders in Troop or Venture crews: Each year, upon holding a troop or team election for youth candidates that results in at least one youth candidate being elected, the unit committee

may nominate one adult to the lodge adult selection committee.

Selection of the adult is based on the ability to perform

the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purpose, and not for recognition of service, including current or prior achievement and positions.

The individual will be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities that fulfill the purpose of the Order.

The camping requirements set forth for youth members are fulfilled.

The adult leaders membership will provide a positive example for the growth and development of the youth members of the lodge.

2. Adult leaders in council and district positions: The lodge adviser, district chairmen, council president, or

members of the professional staff may nominate adults

to the lodge adult selection committee. All requirements

set forth for adult leaders in units must be fulfilled,

with the exception of that the camping requirements may be waived.

Because the Order of the Arrow is principally a youth organization, unit, district, and council Scouters are not selected for membership as a recognition.

Selection should take place only when the adults position in Boy Scouting or Varsity Scouting will make Order of the Arrow membership more meaningful in the lives of the youth membership.

Only one addition to the Chief's post: In units, the selection ratio is 1 adult authorized for selection for every 50 registered youth.

I have seen that ratio waived when a unit is new, and adults from the unit were needed to attain 2-deep leadership at an induction weekend.

"In units, the selection ratio is 1 adult authorized for selection for every 50 registered youth."

Is that a (relatively) new rule? I thought it was one adult period, provided that the election yielded at least one youth elected.

If you were elected to the OA during those 5 years you were a

Boy Scout, you can reestablish your membership by paying current dues to the local Lodge. The Lodge will have to first verify that you were indeed elected to OA as a youth.

"If you were elected to the OA during those 5 years you were a

Boy Scout, you can reestablish your membership by paying current dues to the local Lodge. The Lodge will have to first verify that you were indeed elected to OA as a youth."

Sort of true. If you were tapped out and completed your ordeal then the above is true. If you were elected but never completed your ordeal then you were never a member and would need to be selected again. Cub Scout packs cannot elect anyone to OA so the group you are currently active with is unable to elect anyone.

nolesrule's Point of correction is correct, the Scout must be a First Class and a Scout or Varsity Scout to be elected. I think I should pay better attention when I edit requirements :)

talen333's statement that Cub Scout packs cannot elect anyone to OA is true, but if he holds a District job, he could be nominated by the District thru that procedure. The main requirement is if the adult joining will benifit the OA.

"I have seen that ratio waived when a unit is new, and adults from the unit were needed to attain 2-deep leadership at an induction weekend."

Not sure I understand, John. If, by "induction weekend" you mean "Ordeal", that is not a unit function and the 2-deep rule should be met by the Chapter or Lodge. Am I missing something?

From Order of the Arrow Operations Update 09-2:

"A former Order of the Arrow member, more than 18 months in arrears in paying dues, who is a member of the Boy Scouts of America in good standing, can rejoin the Order of the Arrow by paying the current years dues to the councils OA lodge."

As for becoming a member as an adult, there are three ways:

Nominated by a troop or team committee.

Adults in district or council positions may be nominated by the lodge advisor, district chairman, council president, or members of the professional staff. Must meet the same qualifications as unit level nominations, but the camping requirement may be waived by the lodge advisor and the scout executive.

As a professional scouter. May be directly nominated by the scout executive.

This is just one source on the 1:50 ratio:

http://www.oa-bsa.org/programs/ttr/ttrsupportpak.php

Download the OA Troop/Team Rep Support Pak... http://www.oa-bsa.org/programs/ttr/ttrsupportpak.pdf

You'll find the ratio on page 12 of the pdf (by count) or p A.1.2 (by TOC).

Remember: That is a ratio for annual selection, not a ratio for Arrowman adults in a Troop to youth overall. Ongoing membership depends on your dues status and your BSA registration status.

Scouter760,

It all depends upon your lodge as every lodge operates differently. The lodge I joined as a youth, it was every Arrowman for himself. You stayed with who you wanted to stay with. My current lodge it's by chapter, and I seen everything in between.

In my council and lodge, the mandate is units are responsible for furnishing 2-deep leadership for their youth at OA events. It's clearly stated on flyers.

I agree it should be the Lodge providing, but should be and reality aren't always the same.